Mass Effect 3 Full

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#61 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

I am disappointed in the romance options...
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#62 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 08 March 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

I'm liking the main storyline. Having to recruit help to unite the alien races and fight back against the Reapers is interesting, made more so because a lot of the people you run into are old crew mates. So for me the characters, side missions, and world building enhance and make the main story that much better. Though it really is about the characters. I've grown attached to all of them. I like cut scenes where I just spend a quiet minute or two with a character.
Without getting into much detail for those that haven't had a chance to play it yet, my main issue with the storyline is that it's just too similar to previous BioWare games. It's just another variation of the whole "you must gather your party before venturing forth" thing. More importantly, it's horribly cliched and feels like a typical Hollywood action movie.

The characters are still the focus and that's a good thing. My problem is that so far the characters you can get as part of your squad are dreadfully dull. I'm sure there will be more interesting characters as I get deeper into the game. Right now though it's taking a lot of effort for me to care about them. :( I also don't like how you can't stop to talk to your squadmates during missions. It's an artificial and archaic restriction. If they do future games set in the ME universe, I hope they revamp some of these core design issues. They could use a major overhaul.

I've had similar problems. The enemy AI is actually pretty good so the fact that my squad mates aren't as good can lead to a quick death. Especially when the enemy has you outnumbered and has quite an array of different classes. Speaking of, I hate the phantoms. Shepard is not a fast or nimble character and he doesn't really have any good dodge moves so having an enemy type that is fast, acrobatic, and gets in close almost feels like cheating. Add to the fact that there are times when instead of getting into cover Shepard rolls instead means I've had some frustrating deaths.
I don't think I've encountered the phantoms yet. But that really doesn't sound like fun. Nor does it feel fair. If Shepard had better combat moves that let him move more freely, then that would be more of a fair fight. Unfortunately, they've done very little to the combat system to make that kind of encounter more reasonable. The cover system is really quite clunky and dated compared to other recent games. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, for example, has a similar system but Jensen can move in and out of cover with ease. He's more agile and the game is just more responsive in combat.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's experienced the bad squad AI. It's been a complaint of mine since the first game. I've often found that I do better if I just pretend I'm on my own and let my squad do whatever they want. If I start relying on my squad to back me up, I die insanely fast because I end up focusing more on babysitting them than on actually fighting. The squad AI probably hasn't really changed since the second game. It just seems to stand out more this time around. Probably because I've played a lot of other games since ME2 and I'm used to the better party control.

Edited by NeuralClone, 08 March 2012 - 12:39 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#63 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

I'm not sure how well this works yet but some people have been using Xpadder with an Xbox 360 controller to try to emulate how the game behaves on Xbox. It has some issues in menus but apparently combat works really nicely. You may need to play with it a bit. Here's the Xpadder profile:

http://www.2shared.c...der-3Dizzy.html

This is completely silly and shouldn't be necessary. But until BioWare gets its act together, this might be a good alternative. Unfortunately, Xpadder needs to be bought if you're running Windows 7. Otherwise the drivers aren't compatible.

ETA: This actually works really well. The only problem is that it simply doesn't work in menus (including dialogue choices). But everything else appears to work quite nicely.

Edited by NeuralClone, 08 March 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#64 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

The game gets dramatically better once the shooting stops and you have a chance to breathe. There's side quests to do and people to talk to. Both side quests I've done have been challenging and have some storytelling meat on their bones. And being able to talk to your squad members in multiple locations is a great touch.

I'm still not expecting much from the main story (for a variety of reasons) but the character work seems solid as always. I wish the women were more interesting, though. The ones with all the focus (Liara, Tali and Ash) are dreadful bores. I loved Miranda from ME2 but she apparently just gets a cameo (along with a good chunk of previous casts). Still love Chakwas though and wish she got more screen time.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#65 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Okay guys...

Have any of you finished the game yet/know how the game ends? I have one simple question and if you know the answer you'd better put it in spoiler tags.

Does Shepard survive the end of Mass Effect 3? And if yes, how do you achieve that outcome?

I'm gonna be so, so so mad if they force her death on us after all this time.
Rejected and gone.

#66 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

I'm not even close to beating it yet. I'm still mostly playing Kingdoms of Amalur.

They better not kill off Shepard at the end. Or if they do, they better have other endings.

#67 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Yeah I can't find anything solid on it.

I'm hoping there are multiple outcomes. Do well enough, Shepard lives. Do poorly enough, Shepard dies.
Rejected and gone.

#68 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

That would be my guess. The way it tracks your war assets and your overall fleet size (even broken down by region) seems to suggest that there will be multiple outcomes that depend on how well you do.

#69 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have heard that there are multiple endings based on, as NC said, how many war assets you collect. I hope that Shepard doesn't die at the end. Or at least have the option whether or not to sacrifice Shepard. I wouldn't mind him dying if it was a choice I got to make. But just killing him off with no chance to save him would make me mad.

Have any of you finished the game yet/know how the game ends? I have one simple question and if you know the answer you'd better put it in spoiler tags.

I'm trying to take my time with the game and do all the side quests and talk with all the characters and just enjoy the final experience. Then again, I'm anxious to see how it ends so I really have no idea when I'll finish it. I'm also still playing Amalur.

I don't think I've encountered the phantoms yet. But that really doesn't sound like fun. Nor does it feel fair.

It's not fun or fair. They killed me several times before I beat them. The first time just because I didn't realize just how different they were. The other times just because I sucked. :)

My problem is that so far the characters you can get as part of your squad are dreadfully dull. I'm sure there will be more interesting characters as I get deeper into the game.

I like the old characters on my team but the new guy James is rather blah. As for

Spoiler

I am surprised at just how few members I have in my squad. The last game had a ton to choose from. I guess I will pick up more later so I shouldn't complain but I do wish that I had more of a selection.

Without getting into much detail for those that haven't had a chance to play it yet, my main issue with the storyline is that it's just too similar to previous BioWare games. It's just another variation of the whole "you must gather your party before venturing forth" thing. More importantly, it's horribly cliched and feels like a typical Hollywood action movie.

It is a cliche plot but because I am invested in the world and characters it has drawn me in and has me excited to see how it plays out. I'm not too bothered about the gathering because I figured that would be the main thrust of the game. Shepard has created ties to basically all the main species over the last two games so it made sense that he would be the one gathering them all up. I do have hope though that the plot will kick into overdrive as the game goes along.

I wish the women were more interesting, though. The ones with all the focus (Liara, Tali and Ash) are dreadful bores. I loved Miranda from ME2 but she apparently just gets a cameo (along with a good chunk of previous casts). Still love Chakwas though and wish she got more screen time.

See I like Liara and Tali. I do agree that Ashley is a bore. It makes me wish I had killed her instead of Kaidan in my male Shepard game just like I did in my FemShep game. I hope that all of the characters will get more screen time but Mass Effect does have a large cast of characters so I'm not holding my breath.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#70 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

Regarding the ending of the game, my brother has beaten it. So spoilers for the ending follow:

Spoiler

#71 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

Thanks NC. That's good enough for me.

I'm still about 2/3 of the way through my new save file on ME2 so it'll be a few days before I hit ME3 yet.

Edited by Mikoto, 10 March 2012 - 08:30 PM.

Rejected and gone.

#72 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

View PostMikoto, on 10 March 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

Thanks NC. That's good enough for me.

I'm still about 2/3 of the way through my new save file on ME2 so it'll be a few days before I hit ME3 yet.
No problem! :)

I have been reading some potentially worrisome things about the way the ending of the game is handled, however. Spoilers follow.
Spoiler
I haven't personally confirmed any of these things so make what you will of the above.

#73 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

^^ I've heard that too NC.

I've seen rage at the outcome on other boards from fanboys.
Rejected and gone.

#74 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

There's a lot of raging in the Amazon.com reviews too. Some of the complaints seem a bit out there but many of the others seem like pretty legitimate grievances.

#75 Ihaveaglitch

Ihaveaglitch
  • Islander
  • 654 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Just finished it, and to be honest I really don't know what to say about the ending.  But I will say stay through the credits, there is a scene at the end.

Spoilers about Specific endings!
Spoiler

"Well I gotta admit, making Rommie obey my every whim and laying waste to the Drago-Kazov sounds really great, butů All by myself?" ~Harper (Una Salus Victus)

#76 Lord Martock

Lord Martock
  • Islander
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Ya...those phantoms tend to get under my skin too.  I only died to them once...however, I spend so much time concentrating on them...their buddies shoot me full of holes.
May the Schwartz be with you.
Remember, No matter where you go....There you are.
It's a trick.....Get the Axe!

Posted Image

#77 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

Why do I get the feeling this game is going to be a bitch to get through on Insanity?
Posted Image

#78 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Well.

There have been some games with terrible endings recently, but I think ME3 has to rate as one of the worst endings to a game I've ever seen. It just hits that sweetspot of laziness, sheer incoherence and ignorance of the tone of the whole series that it made the whole game itself worse *just by existing.*
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#79 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Yeah I read the spoilers for the endings and it looks like I'm gonna be just as mad as everone else. There are apparently petitions on Facebook and the Bioware forums with up to 14k people signing it to get a patch or DLC that allows a better ending.
Rejected and gone.

#80 Ihaveaglitch

Ihaveaglitch
  • Islander
  • 654 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostTalkie Toaster, on 12 March 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Well.

There have been some games with terrible endings recently, but I think ME3 has to rate as one of the worst endings to a game I've ever seen. It just hits that sweetspot of laziness, sheer incoherence and ignorance of the tone of the whole series that it made the whole game itself worse *just by existing.*

It made the whole Trilogy worse, It now has NO replay ability, because NONE of the choices you made previously effect the ending in anyway! NONE!

I hope that Bioware will at least respond to all the anger/disappointment/criticism, but it probably won't come until the game launches in Asia on the 15th!

Needless to say if this is the real ending, I'm done with Bioware, which sucks, because I was really looking forward to playing "The Old Republic" at some point!
"Well I gotta admit, making Rommie obey my every whim and laying waste to the Drago-Kazov sounds really great, butů All by myself?" ~Harper (Una Salus Victus)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users