Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Lucy Lawless Arrested For Protesting?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

I read in another area that their first court date is this Thursday. So, Lucy and her friends will be in jail for a few days, at least.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#22 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

They should get at least 24 hours in the pokey for spelling "defense" the british way.  :hehe:

But seriously, I do wonder what Kevin Smith's children think about her stunt.
This would be a terrible outcome if police or ship personel got injured or killed trying to get them down.
And I wonder how appreciative her children would be if she fell and died for this attention.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#23 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

:D How she payed the bills before the Xena gig:

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#24 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

From this article. Good read.

Attached Images

• Xena Vs. Shell.jpg

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#25 cl05

cl05
  • Islander
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostVapor Trails, on 27 February 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

That's an excellent article.

Trial date on Thursday. Should be interesting how they got burglary out of it. Trespassing maybe.

They must have been bailed out. Haven't read that they are in jail.

#26 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

^
Yup. They were bailed.

View video of Lucy talking after the arrest here.
Posted Image

#27 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

Here are photos of Lucy and the other protestors leaving jail after being bailed out. They are speaking to the press.
Posted Image

#28 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

link

Lucy Lawless and six other Greenpeace protesters have had their court appearance deferred almost three weeks.

The activists were to appear in the New Plymouth District Court today but yesterday police approved a request from the protesters' Auckland solicitor to adjourn their appearance until March 20.

The seven were arrested on Monday after four days' protest atop the 53m drilling rig on the Noble Discoverer, headed for an oil drilling campaign in the Arctic, in Port Taranaki.

Yesterday, Greenpeace climate campaigner Steve Abel, of Auckland, expressed concern at the serious nature of the burglary charges.

"It is a more-severe charge than expected ... it would be more appropriate to charge them with unlawfully getting on a vessel or trespass," he said.

Greenpeace lawyers would be representing the activists in court, Mr Abel said.

"The activists – including Lucy – took the action as a protest against Shell's intention to drill for oil in the Arctic. They understood they faced police arrest and charges, so they didn't take it lightly," he said.

"Obviously, Lucy Lawless has a completely clean record so it's an indication of how strongly she felt," Mr Abel said.

Mr Abel declined to discuss the case any further because it was now before the courts and sub judice.

It is likely the Greenpeace lawyers will strongly argue against any conviction that could result in Lawless, the star of Xena Warrior Princess and Spartacus, being barred from entry to countries such as the United States.

The maximum sentence following conviction – which is unlikely to be handed down – is 10 years' jail.

However, in the past similar protest actions had resulted in trespass convictions for activists who received penalties from fines through to community work.

Even a conviction without penalty brought consequences for the activists, he said.

Lawless, the mother of two school-age boys and an older daughter, is believed to be working in Queenstown later this week.

Posted Image

#29 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

Really good magazine article here with Lucy about her thoughts on what she did and the arrest. It freaked her out, and she admits she would think twice about doing such a protest again. But Lucy also feels she needed to make this stand.
Posted Image

#30 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10799840

Latest court appearance...
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#31 cl05

cl05
  • Islander
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostAnna, on 18 April 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10799840

Latest court appearance...

They didn't enter a plea and have to go back May 3. They might be waiting to plea to a trespassing charge rather than the burglary charge.

#32 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Posted Image

#33 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostVapor Trails, on 05 March 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

Really good magazine article here with Lucy about her thoughts on what she did and the arrest. It freaked her out, and she admits she would think twice about doing such a protest again. But Lucy also feels she needed to make this stand.

That link doesn't work for me. Can you take a look at it?

Edited by foborg, 19 April 2012 - 01:54 PM.

Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#34 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Saul, that link points to the reply window here at EI, I think you had a c&p malfunction :upside:

#35 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostEChatty, on 19 April 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Saul, that link points to the reply window here at EI, I think you had a c&p malfunction :upside:

Been trying to find the article at the moment-no luck. A bit busy at the moment-will try and look later. ;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users