Is staff still considering issuing a statement on a policy change?

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'm just curious to know about the progress on this:

http://www.exisle.ne...ost__p__1414356

Orpheus: A PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT OF COMING POLICY CHANGE
It's likely that there really is NO place for political DEBATE on Ex Isle. We're just the wrong venue. CIVIL discussions of news, current events and yes, even issues with a political bent, are as welcome as any other topic, but OT, as it now stands, is explicitly NOT what the members voted for: an EtU-like current affairs forum. We erred, years ago, but we'll be moving back toward OT's ORIGINAL CHARTER and the USUAL EI standard of moderation. Sorry to spring this on you --debate, scream at me, threaten to leave-- but few, if any, want that unpleasant tone in OT.

Thanks.

Edited by Spectacles, 26 February 2012 - 06:54 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#2 EChatty

EChatty

Sigh

• SuperMod
  • 22,711 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

As far as I know, we are, just not sure when, Specs.

Thanks for reminding us, though,  with everything else that's going on :)

Female gamer and proud of it

Read my crafty blatherings

My projects on Ravelry

A little getaway

"Be careful. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut." Flemeth (DA2)

#3 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the quick response, Chatty.

:)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#4 EChatty

EChatty

Sigh

• SuperMod
  • 22,711 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

You're welcome :)

My projects on Ravelry

A little getaway

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,923 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

Oops. Chatty beat me to it. The short form is: absolutely.

We've just been looking at the tools available to us, because that will affect what is practical/desirable.

#6 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 26 February 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

We've just been looking at the tools available to us, because that will affect what is practical/desirable.

So this isn't really a moderating philosophy change but a technical change? Or it's a philosophy change that's dependent on a technical tool?

Just wondering.

#7 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

Wow. I totally missed seeing this in the original thread (probably because I didn't really read the original thread. ;)). That's a big change...

#8 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:39 AM

I'm trying to convince raising our late fee's and interest rates but so far it isn't working out. :p
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#9 Orpheus

Orpheus

• Administrator
  • 16,923 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostSpectacles, on 26 February 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

View PostOrpheus, on 26 February 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

So this isn't really a moderating philosophy change but a technical change? Or it's a philosophy change that's dependent on a technical tool?

Just wondering.

Our primary intention is to bring Ex Isle to a single uniform standard of discussion/behavior -- a standard that has worked well on the rest of EI, while the OT standard has bred discontent and strife for years. We seek to encourage discussion, but we've heard time and again that unpleasantness drives people out.

We're also testing gentler tools to help keep the peace without resorting to more punitive measures. For example, OT bans have often been suggested, but we tried that for a couple of years with limited effect, so we'll try initially "booting" people from threads in which they can't/won't honor cool-its or otherwise behave, without stigmatizing them with the OT ban label that was used before. Such 'boots' can be appealed by PM to the Admins.

Ultimately, however, it is every member's responsibility to adhere to EI standards, recognize their own responses and avoid threads that they should recognize as highly provocative to them personally, but which other EIers may be able to discuss civilly. Posting disruptively in such threads is, well, intentionally disruptive, so sterner sanctions will remain available, as they prove necessary (e.g. ongoing patterns of disruption)

#10 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 21,857 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

We also hope that thread-bootings may actually save people from themselves by reducing the numbers of warnings they pick up for ignoring cool-its.

We also want to defuse the never-ending contentious AQG threads, so know that when this is implemented, complaints about being booted should be by PM to the Admins. A member is welcome to invite the WDs and any other friendly witnesses to the PM conversation but not to take it public.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#11 Cait

Cait
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostCardie, on 27 February 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

We also hope that thread-bootings may actually save people from themselves by reducing the numbers of warnings they pick up for ignoring cool-its.

Exactly.  It will put a step in-between a cool it and a warning for violating a cool it.

#12 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Well, looks like I'll be visiting EI even less then I do now, once this goes into effect. Good luck with the new policy.
Posted Image

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#13 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,035 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

Wow. I may actually start reading OT on a regular basis again once this goes into effect. As it currently stands I generally don't even bother to skim it.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#14 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,030 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 27 February 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

Well, looks like I'll be visiting EI even less then I do now, once this goes into effect. Good luck with the new policy.

With any luck, LotS, there'll be more stuff to talk about in reviews and games, and you'll have MORE reason to visit - every place isn't OT...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#15 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on 27 February 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

With any luck, LotS, there'll be more stuff to talk about in reviews and games, and you'll have MORE reason to visit - every place isn't OT...

QT

Hope so, but EI won't be EI without OT...And while OT can be a flame fest at times, with hot and fast comments, the staff have never denied members the right to say what they want to say. If what a member wanted to say got them a warning, or suspension, then that was just that...But to boot someone from the thread entirely, as if to say: "you're no longer allowed to speak on this topic."....

oh hell no!

They day the staff boot me from a thread, is the day I never return to EI.
Posted Image

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#16 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,030 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Well, here's how I understand it.

Members may speak on any topic they choose.  BUT, once a cool-it is in effect, members have to moderate their approach - find ways to talk about things that won't keep the heat up in the thread.  Members who can't seem to tone down and continue conversation without violating the cool-it, will be sent out of the thread - probably temporarily for a day or so. giving them time to cool down and come back to the thread ready to engage in a calmer, cooler manner. And members who still can't post coolly, will get a warning.

At least - that's how it SEEMS to me.  I'm not entirely thrilled with the thread booting myself, but I can see it working in that way.  

What is definitely NOT happening, is no one is telling anyone they can't express their opinions.  What's being said is that members need to bring the level of discourse in line with  the civil way we post just about everywhere else on the board.

The staff can correct me if I'm reading this wrong!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#17 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,194 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

^^^^That's pretty much the way I read it, QT

View PostCertifiably Cait, on 27 February 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

View PostCardie, on 27 February 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

Exactly.  It will put a step in-between a cool it and a warning for violating a cool it.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#18 Orpheus

Orpheus

• Administrator
  • 16,923 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

The day we start telling member their views aren't welcome on EI (except as outlined in the GLs, Federally Protected classes, etc.), I'd have to reconsider my participation here, too!

That is not our intent. As I've said: disagreement is often necessary for an interesting discussion.

We're an open-minded bunch at this bar, but if you get rowdy, you may get cut off or tossed out.

#19 EChatty

EChatty

Sigh

• SuperMod
  • 22,711 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

The way QT put it is how it's going to be.

The way I see it, as Orph said, we can disagree on a topic and even disagree vehemently. What we can't do is violate board guidelines with that disagreement. There are ways to disagree with someone without getting personal or 'in your face' about it, I do it all the time with a friend of mine on a topic that we're polar opposites on.

At one time OT was much more conducive to discussion, now it's nothing more than people disrespecting anyone with opinions who don't agree with theirs.

My projects on Ravelry

A little getaway

#20 Orpheus

Orpheus

• Administrator
  • 16,923 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

"Respect" is indeed a key principle.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users