7 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 47,833 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

So far it looks it's Hugo's night.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

It pretty much went as expected. Biggest surprise was Meryl Streep's win (and her speech was classy, as you'd expect). Billy Crystal was a bit dull but he as least kept things moving and wasn't a total embarrassment like James Franco last year.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#3 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

Wow, Crystal tanked.  It was like he was playing the Catskills.  Aside from the almost awesome opening pre-taped bit he always has done, he was ... awful.

And I say that sadly, as I was so looking forward to his return, and so confident he'd be terrific.  Just terrible, boring, tedious terrible night overall.

I blame in part the movies themselves - there weren't films that naturally get the audience juices flowing and excitement for the award show, like, say Titanic ... Gladiator ... or Denzel and Halle's big year (a lot of anticipation).

I also find that the production itself was lacking - it seemed the taped stuff was on a low budget, and they didn't go to the effort of having a few seconds of film for each of the In Memorium
people, which makes or breaks that segment.  And I hated not having the songs performed.  I did like the Cirque de Solie performance, but it was forgetable minutes later.  

The STUPID endless soundbites of actors talking about movies was completely a waste of time (Witherspoon picks Overboard to praise?  Oy, that was painful.) There was no point to any of that filler - they could have done so much more to showcase film.
Odd that they went out of order on giving the awards too - Supporting Actress not the first, first.  Still first of the biggies, but meh ...

Wig and Rudolph's discussion of how big and fat they like penises was as inappropriate as it was lame.  Grow up.
And to top it off, I really had trouble even hearing Crystal's singing - I couldn't make out half the lyrics ... his audio was weird the whole night.  I guess it could also be his older voice.

The live tweeting of the Oscars was more enjoyable than the show itself.  Bah.

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 27 February 2012 - 10:06 AM.

Obama 2008: Yes We Can!

Obama 2012: No You Didn't.

Posted Image

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 17,611 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

We watched the opening, then went to walking dead* and by the time we came back, we were able to fast forward through all the crap.  

*there's a joke in there about billy crystal's soporific performance but I'm too tired to connect the dots

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

:lol:

People were cracking that Crystal should've included himself in the In Memorium segment.  

I forgot to add with my complaints of the actual production of the live event last night - that I wasn't the only one who heard the awful tin sound coming from the mics.
I thought for the longest time my speaker blew out, but online today, I'm seeing that others heard it too, and agreed that Crystal sounded too low/base - his mic was not mixed properly.  
Not professional - Gates is missed, apparently.

Posted Image

#6 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

Jim Rash, best known from "Community" as Dean Pelton, nails Jolie:

http://www.mtv.com/n...g-tribute.jhtml

Posted Image

:lol:  I thought that was funnier than Cohen's antics:
http://www.mtv.com/n...st-oscars.jhtml

Posted Image

#7 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Plummer is a wit compared to many of today's stars,
but then he is a stage thesp of the old style from the early fifties-

see what he said, addressed the audience on stage?
http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1029253
about so long he forgot so we'r all spared?
;)

and a link on side page brings up a short concise easy to read list of the award
winners-
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#8 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 47,833 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

I rather enjoyed the Wizard Of Oz focus group, overall it wasn't a bad show I guess. I do find it odd that there's out there to criticize Billy Crystal's performance as the host.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users