2 replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Cinematography
the world of DPs is a complicated one n'est ce pas?

I didn't want this in the Oscar thread because it's a bigger issue across all 'film', across all awards-

http://theenvelope.l...0,7420664.story

but what about this issue, that there is a broad world of art in 'film' and in recording and presenting,
and these DPs have different ways they want to do it, and ways they want to show their stuff, but yes
I applaud the ones of The War Horse for putting that particular film on film; just fittin', just suitin'.

an interressin' quote,
' His concern is that the cinematographer is no longer allowed to fully control the image as other technicians become a larger part of the process and that digital monitors create a laissez-faire attitude on-set toward image-making. "If you see the image on the digital screen I think people become lazy, they get satisfied with just seeing the image, they're not going for visual panache, not getting the story through metaphors," he said. "With film there is still mystery."
'

So- just how do you say one wins, one's better, when there are all the different art forms, and editing styles,
and nuance, and characteristics of the film used, or hard drive, or code, or- Oh My
;)
so what of awards in all this stuff?

PS!
oh I jus HAD To add this bit of artistry from the Times piece,
' For the look of "The Artist," a black-and-white, essentially dialogue-free film, French cinematographer Guillaume Schiffman referred to "the souvenir," the feeling of watching an old movie more than specifically wanting to directly make a film in an old style. Schiffman shot on color film stock that was timed to black-and-white in post-production because he found that he could get a broader range of gray tones in the image than if he shot on black-and-white stock (a not uncommon technique). He shot at 22 frames-per-second rather than the current standard 24 to lightly evoke the sense of watching older films.
'
:inlove:
;)

Edited by offworlder, 27 February 2012 - 04:50 PM.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 21,714 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

Alas, when technology races ahead, it will only be the rare exception that sticks to the older form. There are still many vinyl record enthusiasts around, and turntables are being manufactured and sold, but there will never again be vinyl-only recording on any kind of large scale.

I love celluloid and find the best black and white cinematography superior to colot but the number of b/w features we see going forward will still be miniscule, "The Artist" notwithstanding.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#3 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,147 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Cinematographers planet wide are probably ready to do themselves in at the idea of people watching movies on cell phones.  Could certainly lead to a "why bother" attitude!
Cats will never be extinct!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users