24 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 27,471 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Davy Jones Dead: Singer Of The Monkees Dies At 66

The Monkees singer Davy Jones has died at the age of 66, TMZ reports.

The singer is survived by his wife Jessica and four daughters from previous marriages. TMZ confirmed Jones' death with an official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Fla....
I'm sad to hear of his death.   :(

Rest in peace.
http://emmaglitch.com/

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"One man's vulgarity is another's lyric."  Justice John Marshall Harlan, 1971

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.  

If the Dems are "job killers" then the GOP are job abortionists.  

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

Tea Party organizers may want to run away from the facts, but they're not that fast, and the American people are not that slow.  Charles M. Blow

GOP holding up health care, your money or your life.  

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Continue to say nothing if you agree. House

If corporations are people, NBC was my first wife!  P J O'Rourke

#2 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

He was my first crush. :(

Davy Jones of the Monkees has died of an apparent heart attack at  age 66. The singer – who had been on a solo tour this month - complained of  chest pains last evening and was admitted to a hospital this morning in Stuart,  Florida. Jones was born in Manchester, England and started acting as a child. In 1964  he had the misfortune of appearing in the cast of Oliver! on the same  episode where the Beatles made their debut. The next year he was cast in The  Monkees, a comedy show/band inspired by the success of the Beatles. They  were an instant hit in the ratings and the record shops, scoring massive singles  with "Last Train To Clarksdale," "I'm A Believer," "Stepping Stone" and  "Pleasant Valley Sunday." Jones – who played tambourine in the band – was the  lead vocalist on the classics "Daydream Believer" and "I Wanna Be Free." At the  peak of their popularity in 1967 they sold more albums than the Beatles.

http://music.yahoo.c...-180151703.html

#3 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 9,655 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

As much as people made fun of the Monkees or looked down on them, they were a part of my childhood.  And Davy Jones was one of my first crushes too.

Rest in Peace, Davy Jones.

I'll keep on singing "Daydream Believer" and think of you.

oops...I see that Nonny started a thread about this too.  Can we whoosh them together?

Edited by Tricia, 29 February 2012 - 03:35 PM.

.In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#4 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 27,471 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

Tributes from those who knew him and worked with him:

Peter Tork, Ringo Starr, and more remember Davy Jones

The sad news that the Monkees singer Davy Jones has died at the age of 66 after suffering a heart attack has fans and those in music industry remembering the star. Jones’ Monkees bandmate Peter Tork has released the following statement on his Facebook fan page, about the late singer: ”It is with great sadness that I reflect on the sudden passing of my long-time friend and fellow-adventurer, David Jones. His talent will be much missed; his gifts will be with us always. My deepest sympathy to Jessica and the rest of his family. Adios, to the Manchester Cowboy. Peace and love, Peter T.”...

Edited by Nonny, 29 February 2012 - 04:03 PM.

Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.  

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

Tea Party organizers may want to run away from the facts, but they're not that fast, and the American people are not that slow.  Charles M. Blow

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Mark: I'm shocked.  Too young to die.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#6 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Could a mod merge the threads please?

http://www.exisle.ne...53#entry1416353

#7 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 21,709 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

An early heartthrob of mine. RIP, Davy--you're gone too soon.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#8 Niko

Niko
  • Islander
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Very, very sad.  :(

I'm in the age range that first "discovered" the Monkees via their MTV marathons and the 20th Anniversary tour in the '80's, but I never cared that the young cuties of the TV show were practically "ancient" already.  Davy was always my favorite.  :(
Posted Image

#9 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Merged

#10 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 17,432 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

:(

RIP, Davy.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#11 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

I never knew people made fun of the Monkees till I was much older. I adored them, and while I didn't have any crushes, I remember loving the show, and loving the music.

God speed your journey, Davey Jones.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 27,471 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

Davy Jones: Monkees Bandmate Micky Dolenz Had Bad Omen Before Death, Michael Nesmith 'Won't Abandon Him to Mortality'

Micky Dolenz, who continued to tour with Jones in recent years, released the following statement on his Facebook page:

"I am in a state of shock; Davy and I grew up together and shared in the unique success of what became The Monkees phenomena. The time we worked together and had together is something I'll never forget. He was the brother I never had and this leaves a gigantic hole in my heart. The memories have and will last a lifetime. My condolences go out to his family."

According to TMZ, he added a later statement suggesting he knew something terrible was about to happen. "Can't believe it...," he reportedly said. "Still in shock...had bad dreams all night long."..

Michael Nesmith, aka "The Quiet Monkee," posted a lenghty, heady tribute to his friend and former bandmade. Here's an excerpt:

"So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don't know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here...While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence.

"That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you," Nesmith continued. "I will miss him, but I won't abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence."...

Posted Image

#13 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,145 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

Love Nesmith's view.

I loved the show and the music.  The show was hilarious.  Geez, 66 seems young these days (I'm just past that and don't even feel "old").  He didn't look overweight and had been on tour so must have been reasonably fit...??

Very sad.
Cats will never be extinct!

#14 KathyW2200

KathyW2200
  • Islander
  • 402 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

How sad.  I always loved the Monkees, even when everyone else seemed to hate them, and I had a terrific crush on Davy.

View PostThemis, on 29 February 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

He didn't look overweight and had been on tour so must have been reasonably fit...??

http://www.cnn.com/2...ones/index.html

Excerpt:

"Laurie Jacobson, whose company Living Legends LTD often booked Jones for Hollywood nostalgia shows, spoke with him two days ago about several new bookings.

"He was a vegetarian, and there was not an ounce of fat on the guy," Jacobson said. "He lived on the beach in Florida and ran miles every morning. This is the last person I expected this to happen to. He couldn't have been in better shape." "

#15 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 21,709 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Sometimes it's just a hereditary propensity for heart disease and isn't dependent on lifestyle. I assume there will be an autopsy and we might get a better idea of what brought it on.

Cardie

#16 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

The popularity of Davey Jones also lead to the creation of the Ensign Chekov character on Star Trek.  The similarity of Chekov's hairdo to the hairstyle of Jones was deliberate.

#17 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,095 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

RIP Davy
Can't Touch This!!

#18 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

Add another very saddened at the loss of this great entertainer, who was also my first crush.

I had the pleasure of meeting Davy on multiple occasions (concerts, conventions, signings), went to the reunion tours every year they did them including last year's which may have been the best I'd ever seen them do.

I'm still trying to process this as it was so very unexpected.  I can't believe I'll never see the guys together doing the Monkee walk again...
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#19 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 27,471 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Davy Jones, Monkees Singer, Dies at 66

... David Thomas Jones was born on Dec. 30, 1945, in Manchester, England. A child actor, he appeared on “Coronation Street,” the British soap opera that went on the air in 1960 and is still running, and in the police drama “Z Cars.” After his mother’s death when he was a teenager, he abandoned acting. Slight of build — he stood not much more than 5 feet tall in his prime — he began to train as a jockey.

Lured back into the theater a few years later, he played the Artful Dodger in the West End musical “Oliver!” When the production moved to Broadway in 1963, he reprised the role (billed as David Jones), earning a Tony nomination as best featured actor in a musical.

Appearing with the cast of “Oliver!” on “The Ed Sullivan Show,” Mr. Jones had a transformative moment. After the cast sang, he heard wild cheering. But alas it was not for them: it was for the Beatles, also booked on the show that day.

“I thought: Is that what happens when you’re a pop singer?” Mr. Jones told The Palm Beach Post in 2004. “I want to be part of that!”

His work on Broadway led to guest roles on a few mid-’60s television shows, including “Ben Casey” and “The Farmer’s Daughter.” He was signed to a contract with Columbia Pictures/Screen Gems Television, which produced “The Monkees.”...
I knew about his career as a jockey, then playing the Artful Dodger on West End and Broadway, but I did not know about Coronation Street.  Heh, I remember that Ed Sullivan Show, but don't remember anyone but the Beatles.  He really lived quite an interesting life.   :)

Posted Image

#20 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 21,709 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

*sniff* All this is making me want to download "Daydream Believer" onto my iPhone.

Cardie

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users