• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

this is more for OT even though it's a Consumer product so putting it in this forum,

but putting here because it's a product, but this story is about the trend, the social of it, and current
and recent events, than products..

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-17101768

most of this I had not read before, so this can have a post copy in the things I learned this week deal
;)
nahh- but all the same..

' Indigo doesn't penetrate the cotton yarn like other dyes but sits on the outside of each thread. These molecules chip off over time, causing the fabric to fade and wear in a unique way.
"Why did it sell?" asks Trynka. "Because the denim changed as it aged and the way it wore reflected people's lives."
Because of its fading quality, denim was sold raw - unwashed and untreated - and by the beginning of the 20th Century workers began to realise they could shrink the trousers to a more comfortable fit.

Not only were they more durable but each pair of jeans began to tell the story of the worker and his work.
'

' "Jeans are the most personal thing you can wear," says Miller. "They wear to the body."
But the initial explosion of denim into the world of casualwear had more to do with what jeans had come to symbolise'

and more, much more,
>
v
:ninjadeath:
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 EChatty

EChatty

Sigh

• SuperMod
  • 22,711 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I don't wear jeans very often anymore, and only if I can find a comfortable pair that isn't too snug.

That's the way I am with all my clothes, I don't like them snug.

My husband won't wear anything but jeans, even to church. Without jeans, he'd walk around half-naked ;)

Female gamer and proud of it

Read my crafty blatherings

My projects on Ravelry

A little getaway

"Be careful. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut." Flemeth (DA2)

#3 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,632 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

I always thought they started out as work/play clothing because of the durability.  They're not so durable anymore.

Like everything else we purchase today.  They are not made to last very long.

#4 EChatty

EChatty

Sigh

• SuperMod
  • 22,711 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

That's true, nothing is made to last anymore.

You'll never find any jeans to last like those first ones did, not even so-called 'work' jeans.

Female gamer and proud of it

Read my crafty blatherings

My projects on Ravelry

A little getaway

"Be careful. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut." Flemeth (DA2)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users