• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Park57

Park57
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

Hello!

If this is the wrong section please move this thread.

My name is Parker Jendrycki and I'm a grad student at the University of Illinois. I am conducting research on user generated sci-fi content and looking for your opinion.

If you write and/or read user generated content I would love to hear from you for any/all of these questions.

1. As a writer, would you like to make money from your content?

2. As a writer, if a service existed that allowed you to upload your content and embed it on other websites would you use it?

3. As a reader would you like to be able to read stories in one cohesive document rather than in multiple posts?

4. As a reader would you be willing to pay for regularly updated, high quality content? If not pay, would you view advertisements to support the writer?

Thanks for the time!

-Parker

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,908 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

1. Yes, but below a certain threshold, that's easily outweighed by other considerations.

2. Exposure is always good.

3. Hard to imagine how I wouldn't!

4. Easily accessible quality content is always valuable. Advertising is also an acceptable payment method.

#3 ArdenCabbel

ArdenCabbel

S.L.o.P.

• Islander
  • 946 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

1. I would enjoy making money for my content, it would help me fund future content.

2. Yes.

3. Absolutely.  It would be much easier then trying to track down different parts, and the end of a post in a story often erroneously marks a dramatic break in the story for me.

4. I would be willing to pay for high quality content, but as tastes are rather varied, I would prefer an advertising supported model.
Posted Image

#4 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Islander
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

1. Definitely, yes.

2. Yes, again.

3. One document, please. I really dislike multiple posts. As ArdenCabbel indicated, the break in posts gives me a sense that something dramatic is about to happen. It's not as bad if it is a complete chapter, but not every writer (FF, for instance) actually uses chapters.

4. First I must emphasize high quality content. For high quality content I would be willing to sit through ads (which would be my preference), or possibly pay a small fee, or even both (last two would depend on the fee, but would still not be preferred).

Good luck with your survey, Parker.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

Borg designation: 2 of 3 Posted Image

#5 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

I had a quick question to ask before proceeding with the survey---is "user generated content" a synonym for fan fiction?  I wasn't sure, as I'm not always up on all the current terminology for various things.  

Also, welcome to Ex Isle.  :)

Peridot
Posted Image

#6 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

Hi Parker,

Yup, would be nice if those pirates coughed up my fair share.

2. As a writer, if a service existed that allowed you to upload your content and embed it on other websites would you use it?
No, too many pirates.

3. As a reader would you like to be able to read stories in one cohesive document rather than in multiple posts?
I like the anticipation of waiting on the next installment, but either one will do.

4. As a reader would you be willing to pay for regularly updated, high quality content? If not pay, would you view advertisements to support the writer?
Might click on the odd link or two if they interested me.
Good xyzt to you, = a web greeting that includes all time zones and planets.
-----------------
Posted Image

#7 Park57

Park57
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Thank you for the feedback everyone - I really appreciate your time especially since I am a new user.

@Peridot - Sorry for the ambiguity I am very new to the sci-fi world and didn't know a good way to phrase it. I believe original content (that does not have the copyright issues of fan fiction) is what I am really interested in. If this doesn't answer it let me know.

-Parker

#8 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

You win this time, Clerks...

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

If you still need feedback;

1: Yes. In fact, I would very much like to become a professional writer.

2: If the service included a Beta reader (one of my biggest problems is my dyslexia), yes.

3: Yes. When it comes to reading fiction, I tend to stick to sites that provide the prose alone, and only use forums for discussion of the stories.

4: Depended on cost and the likelihood that I would enjoy the stories. There are some works out there I would gladly pay for, but many I wouldn't.
Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace
Beka: We need to find you a hobby
Rommie: That IS my hobby

Daniel: She's Hathor, the goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music
Jack: Sex, drugs and rock & roll?

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius
Lord Vetinari: Capital! Welcome to government service!

Mary Raven: ....your house smells weird
Dr Vukovic: It smells of SCIENCE!

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?
Jeeves: Experience, sir?

#9 DaveW

DaveW
  • Islander
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

Not much interested in that - so no.

As stated above, the additional exposure would be welcomed - so yes.

Definately.

It would depend on the cost.  It it was not too high, I would pay.  And as to viewing ads, it would depend on how well the ads were taylored to my tastes.  Many ads I find absurd and annoying.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users