• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 47,991 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

UPDATE : Daily Mirror TV Editor, Mark Jefferies added: “BBC source has confirmed to me they will unveil new Doctor Who assistant tomorrow. She is “pretty” but “not household name”

Supposedly it's a "her".
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, Donna Noble, Amelia Pond

Was there any doubt that the next companion would be female?
Posted Image

#3 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 17,645 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

Is it surprising that the new companion is a she?  

Going into the seventh season (plus one year of specials) since relaunch, I think the show would feel unbalanced (to say the least) without a strong female lead.  I can't imagine the Beeb would ever sign off on subordinating the leading female to a leading male companion, or god forbid, to a series of female guest stars who couldn't even function as proper love interests for the Doctor (given that he's no longer, strictly speaking, single).  That would be a radical change to a format that has been incredibly successful.  (I'm sure they had more leeway in designing companions back in the old days, before the show was such a mega hit.)  

Anyway, I was hoping that they'd transition to a stint with Alex Kingston as the proper female lead (which I think was rumored last spring or summer) but that's not feeling particularly likely anymore, is it?  (Not because of her commitment to Upstairs Downstairs, either, as the production schedules didn't end up overlapping.  Indeed, Who is just getting started while U/D is nearly done airing its new season).  I believe Moffat has confirmed she will be back, but do we have any idea how many episodes they've got her for this year?  I'm getting the feeling it will be just a few.  (Has she been sighted on set yet?)

My prediction is that, contra the "not a household name" thing above, they will announce Sophia Myles as the new companion.  Assume that she will be playing a new character, though, not Madame du Pompadour.  (It's been a while since I saw "Girl in the Fireplace" -- Is there any wiggle room in there to allow them to retcon a stint in the TARDIS?)

Edited by BklnScott, 20 March 2012 - 08:38 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#4 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 47,991 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

There was a 50/50 chance of a female companion and the rumor going around is that it might an actress named Aisling Loftus not Sofia Myles.

ETA: According the Star it'll be Jenna-Louise Coleman.

Ex-Emmerdale star Jenna-Louise Coleman is expected to be named as new Doctor Who companion later today by BBC.

Edited by DWF, 20 March 2012 - 09:13 PM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 31,846 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 20 March 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

(I'm sure they had more leeway in designing companions back in the old days, before the show was such a mega hit.)

In the old old days, in the Doctor's first two incarnations where he was an older, not very physical man, he was always partnered with a younger, heroic man who spearheaded the action and at least one female companion.  His first two female companions, his granddaughter Susan and her history teacher Barbara, were both pretty strong in their ways; Susan was mysterious, exotic, and brilliant, and Barbara was a strong-willed, mature woman.  But later on it settled into a pattern where there was typically one young man of action (or two at one point) and one young woman who typically didn't do much beyond look cute and scream at the monsters (especially Polly and Victoria).  Zoe, the Second Doctor's last female companion, was somewhat better because she was a genius and sometimes even more on the ball than the Doctor, but she still screamed a lot (and was incredibly cute).

The Third Doctor was more a man of action in his own right, so his era was the beginning of the tradition of teaming the Doctor with only one female companion -- first the scientist Liz Shaw, then the sweet, goofy, but very brave Jo Grant, and then the intrepid Sarah Jane Smith.  He also had the Brigadier and UNIT as semi-regular sidekicks, but they weren't formal companions.  The Fourth Doctor was initially expected to be less physical, so he was given a strapping male companion for one season, but it proved unnecessary, so they soon went back to the Doctor-and-one-woman model.  Not only was the Fourth Doctor able to handle the action, but his female companions grew increasingly strong and capable.  Although a few years in he got the robot dog K-9 as a "male" companion who carried a lot of the action (he had a laser built into his nose).

In the Fourth's last season and into the Fifth's era, there was a shift to more of an ensemble cast, with companion groupings ranging from one male/one female to one male/two female to two female and then back the other way.  In this more character-driven period, the male companions weren't about being muscle but about creating danger for the Doctor, whether through naivete in Adric's case or questionable morals in Turlough's.  But throughout the Sixth and Seventh Doctor eras, the Doctor reverted to having just one female companion at a time.

Anyway, I was hoping that they'd transition to a stint with Alex Kingston as the proper female lead (which I think was rumored last spring or summer) but that's not feeling particularly likely anymore, is it?

I'm not sure whether I'd like that or not.  I'm not sure it would serve River well if she were overused.  Might be best to keep her for special occasions.

I would've liked to see Rani & Clyde from the tragically-cut-short The Sarah Jane Adventures become regular travelers in the TARDIS (because I adore Anjli Mohindra), and I think Canton Everett Delaware would make a cool companion too (if Mark Sheppard were willing to move back to England).
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel
Written Worlds -- My blog
Facebook Author Page

#6 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,017 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

I think Alex Kingston works best when used in moderation. I wouldn't be able to stand River Song every single week. I like both Kingston and the character, but it'd be too much. So I'm glad that isn't looking very likely.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#7 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 17,645 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

You guys are probably right.  I guess I was thinking that if she appeared in every episode, they'd have to reintroduce the more nuanced version of the character that featured in "Silence in the Library" -- but of course, that ship has sailed.  Still, she remains a compelling actor who I'd welcome seeing in every episode.

#8 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 47,991 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 20 March 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

You guys are probably right.  I guess I was thinking that if she appeared in every episode, they'd have to reintroduce the more nuanced version of the character that featured in "Silence in the Library" -- but of course, that ship has sailed.  Still, she remains a compelling actor who I'd welcome seeing in every episode.

I thought the Library two parter was her worst appearance actaully, she was far too snooty and too much of a know-it-all in that two parter, but she later grew into the part.

#9 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,017 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

Her flirtiness with the Doctor was definitely less pronounced in that two parter (I agree that she was a bit more of a know it all in that too) and it was increased when she returned in later episodes. I think IF they were to include her on a weekly basis that they'd have no choice but to dial it back down again. Otherwise it really would be too much of a good thing. Plus, not including her on a weekly basis makes her appearances that much more special and memorable.

I'd prefer it if they kept Karen Gillan for a few more seasons. Since that isn't happening, I like the the idea of them introducing a new character rather than bringing in one we already know.

#10 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

I want Malcolm Reynolds or Trance Gemini.  :(
Posted Image

#11 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,316 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:44 AM

View PostDWF, on 20 March 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

There was a 50/50 chance of a female companion and the rumor going around is that it might an actress named Aisling Loftus not Sofia Myles.

ETA: According the Star it'll be Jenna-Louise Coleman.

Ex-Emmerdale star Jenna-Louise Coleman is expected to be named as new Doctor Who companion later today by BBC.

Link as confirmed?
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#12 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,017 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

It's official. Jenna-Louise Coleman will be the next companion:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...s_New_Companion

Edited by NeuralClone, 21 March 2012 - 06:40 AM.

#13 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 17,645 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

BBC PR-speak always sounds so much more ridiculous to me than its US-based counterpart -- and that's a feat considering our own is completely ridiculous.  With our own actors, it's like they get talking points and coaching but they get to put it in their own words, but over there it always feels to me like they're actually regurgitating script.

Anyway, here it is:

Twenty-five year old Jenna from Blackpool will star alongside the 11th Time Lord, Matt Smith, to mark the biggest year in the show's history.

Best known for her roles in Emmerdale (Jasmine Thomas) and Waterloo Road (Lindsay James), Jenna will replace Karen Gillan when she and Arthur Darvill bow out of the show in a heartbreaking departure after one final series of rollercoaster voyages later this year on BBC One.

Jenna says: "I'm beyond excited, I can't wait to get cracking; working alongside Matt I know is going to be enormous fun and a huge adventure." ...

Lead writer and Executive Producer, Steven Moffat, says: "It always seems impossible when you start casting these parts, but when we saw Matt and Jenna together, we knew we had our girl. She's funny and clever and exactly mad enough to step on board the TARDIS.

"It's not often the Doctor meets someone who can talk even faster than he does, but it's about to happen. Jenna is going to lead him his merriest dance yet. And that's all you're getting for now. Who she's playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lord ever encounters. Even by the Doctor's standards, this isn't your usual boy meets girl."

I suppose the big question is: is she contemporary and human or no?  Might make for a nice curve ball if she wasn't at least one of those.

#14 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostBad Wolf, on 21 March 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

Malcolm Reynolds? I well...uhhhh....wah? I don't see Mal taking being reduced to sidekick status very well. :p

Now Trance? Oh hell yes. Since her last puppet (some idiot on a flying car spoiler or something) didn't turn out to be very useful I am sure she would love to upgrade to a Timelord. :devil:

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 21 March 2012 - 08:45 AM.

Posted Image

#15 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

If you are like me and have know idea who Jenna is or what she looks like Huffington Post has a picture in it's coverage:

http://www.huffingto..._n_1369255.html

Not the Pixie sex goddess that was Karen Gillian/Amy Pond but then who is? Jenna looks adorable though.

EDIT - IMDB says she was in Captain America as someone named Connie. I have to watch the movie again because I don't remember who that was?

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 21 March 2012 - 08:51 AM.

Posted Image

#16 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 7,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostenTranced, on 21 March 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

View PostBad Wolf, on 21 March 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

Malcolm Reynolds? I well...uhhhh....wah? I don't see Mal taking being reduced to sidekick status very well. :p

Now Trance? Oh hell yes. Since her last puppet (some idiot on a flying car spoiler or something) didn't turn out to be very useful I am sure she would love to upgrade to a Timelord. :devil:

enTranced

Definitely Trance, or perhaps Vala Mal Doran ... you know, someone who'll always have their own agenda even as they get caught in the Doctor's wake.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#17 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 31,846 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

Jenna-Louise Coleman is very pretty.  Hopefully she has a lot more going for her as well.

View PostenTranced, on 21 March 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

EDIT - IMDB says she was in Captain America as someone named Connie. I have to watch the movie again because I don't remember who that was?

Judging from the credits order and the fact that she's billed next to another character named "Bonnie," I'd say she's one of the two girls that Steve and Bucky went on a double date with at the Stark Expo.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel
Written Worlds -- My blog
Facebook Author Page

#18 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostG-man, on 21 March 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Definitely Trance, or perhaps Vala Mal Doran ... you know, someone who'll always have their own agenda even as they get caught in the Doctor's wake.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

I think the Doctor is better when his companion is almost as strong as he is. The new series does not seem as comfortable as the classic series was with physically capable companions like River being depowered and stronger personalities like Amy being reduced to victims who need rescuing or worse just stagnating.

enTranced
Posted Image

#19 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,017 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostChristopher, on 21 March 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Jenna-Louise Coleman is very pretty.  Hopefully she has a lot more going for her as well.
Agreed!

#20 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostenTranced, on 21 March 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

I am sure she would love to upgrade to a Timelord. :devil:

enTranced

But would it in fact be an upgrade?  I'm not at all sure about that.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users