• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:53 AM

So, where is the national outrage about this?

Full story here:
http://www.dailymail...ansas-City.html

'You get what you deserve, white boy': Boy, 13, doused in gasoline and set alight in racially-motivated attack
By PAUL THOMPSON
UPDATED: 21:28 EST, 4 March 2012

Police are investigating a possible race hate attack after a 13-year-old boy was doused in gasoline and set on fire.

The teenager, who suffered first degree burns to his face and hands, is white and his two attackers black.

His mother Melissa Coon said the attackers told her son 'This is what you deserve. You get what you deserve, white boy'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1qgO96mjJ

Pretty messed up thing to do to anyone.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,030 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

Yep. And police are on it so the young boy will get some measure of justice.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

I get your point CJ and no, we aren't being bombarded with a media blitz about this hate crime and I doubt you will see it get anywhere close to that kind of coverage. I often get the impression that the media thinks hate crimes and racism are a one way street...they aren't. Yes there are sterotypes about blacks out there that add fuel to the fire but within those stereotypes lurks a grain of truth. If you look at justice department figures on violent crime you realise how much of two-way street it is.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj...micide/race.cfm

In fact there is more black on white violent crimes against strangers than there is white on black but that doesn't make the news. There is no Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton to gin up the kin folks. Heck I have a personal example. A guy my husband works with and his girlfriend were jumped outside a concernt venue in Detroit by two black guys welding pipes. My husbands friend got the pipe away from one of them and beat the crap out of him with it (we're talking poorly lit parking lot at midnight) here. These guys wanted his money, his car and he feared for his girlfriend as well. Cops show up and take him and the two black guys in and get this, the cops wanted to go after my husbands friend. Come to find out when it went to court, these two guys had already been rearrested on new charges and the judge threw out the case because the cops refused to release the FULL video of what happened. They came into court with just the part where hubby's friend had the pipe, totally cut out the two guys threatening him and him getting the pipe away from the one guy. His lawyer demanded the FULL video, the cops refused to produce it and the judge threw out the case but it cost the hubby's friend about 3 grand in lawyer fees to defend himself against charges that should never have been brought in the first place. So these issues of race cut both ways depending on who you are and where you are.

There are so many other issues that surround race relations in this country but I will say this outright ALL sides need to take responsibility for there own actions, perceptions and what those perceptions are based on. Not all whites are redneck racists. Not all blacks are gangbanging thugs. I think we need to police ourselves better. You hear a racist remark about blacks, call the person on it. You see blacks claiming all white perceptions are based on racism, call them on it. Better yet, create through your actions a different perception. But we also have to start taking responsibility for where some of these stereotypes come from. I live in Michigan an what are the most dangerous, crime riddled cities? Detroit and Flint.Much of it is based on poverty and poor schools but part of it is also based on this notion that getting an education isn't kewl and honestly this glorification of thugs as role models and an unwillingness to "snitch" when you see crimes being commited. No matter how much money is thrown at these cities, nothing changes until education is valued and respected and until the citizens stop turning a blind eye to crime. I've seen to many news stories about young, black honor students getting killed in drivebys. The community needs to start taking responsibility for where they live and what they allow to continue.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

well,
moral outrage (a mostly entertainment thing online) while reading is a fickle thing,
some certain stories might strike a chord while others, less,

and many will only do it, if they see others doing it on certain story, coattails, bandwagon,
fickle

I do think there was a huge rush to judgement in that other one when we really didn't know
anything about who that teen was really, but I won't put that here,
and this one seems not to have that rush?
I would say that dousing with flammable can have no big excuse, if I doused you with fuels,
how would I justify myself? what defense or excuse could I try to sell?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#5 cl05

cl05
  • Islander
  • 207 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

I don't care what race they are, they are two friggin cowards. I hope they catch them and throw away the key.

#6 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostCaptain Jack, on 31 March 2012 - 03:53 AM, said:

So, where is the national outrage about this?

i am outraged.  that's absolutely disgusting.  i hope the culprits are found and tried accordingly.

but consider the fact that the police are actually doing their jobs in this case, CJ.  the outrage in Trayvon's story and many others stems from police inaction....authorities refusing to investigate, saying there is no case or it's an open and shut case because, in reality, they are lazy and/or racist/sexist/classist/insert your adjective here.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

That's a horrible story. :( Hopefully, those responsible will get the maximum punishment under the law.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

What happened to this guy is horrible.  But it's simply not in the same procedural state.  One (the one with a white victim) is being treated as a crime.  The other one (where the black victim is dead) is not.  That is a huge difference.
Posted Image

#9 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

>
But it's simply not in the same procedural state. One (the one with a white victim) is being treated as a crime. The other one (where the black victim is dead) is not. That is a huge difference
<

true, it is not the same, but not just treating;
one was a confrontation of misadventure in which the authorities still do not know exactly what happened, and the other was a crime: if they can prove that the fuel thing was done, regardless who did it, they prove a crime committed

in the case of Florida, what was that, Sanford? there was a confrontation and we all just convince ourselves what happened without really knowing, so no crime is yet proved

I am convinced that... and I'll put that in the other thread; the kid doused with fuel is in this thread ,
and I believe a crime was committed and there can be punishment

treating comes from what you follow with the evidence and known and unknown, though some will argue that treating is just by bias- but in this case, multiple teens accosted a single one, and lit doused fuel, cowardly, cruel, evil, and so there is this
treating about it
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#10 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 31 March 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

QT

Nope. They claim it isn't a racial issue.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

View PostCaptain Jack, on 02 April 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

View PostQueenTiye, on 31 March 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

QT

Nope. They claim it isn't a racial issue.

How the hell is this NOT a racial issue?
Posted Image

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#12 EChatty

EChatty

Sigh

• SuperMod
  • 22,711 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

If they told him "This is what you get white boy" then it most certainly is a racial issue.

Anyone who says differently has a mighty skewed perception of racism.

Female gamer and proud of it

Read my crafty blatherings

My projects on Ravelry

A little getaway

"Be careful. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut." Flemeth (DA2)

#13 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

CJ, in your original post, you posted a snippet that says that police are investigating.  so i'm confused as to why you say they aren't.  :unsure:

Edited by Cheile, 03 April 2012 - 07:49 PM.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#14 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

View Postcl05, on 31 March 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

I don't care what race they are, they are two friggin cowards. I hope they catch them and throw away the key.

I absolutely agree. What they did was absolutely loathesome.

CJ, at the very beginning of the article it's labelled as a hate crimea:

Boy, 13, doused in gasoline and set alight in racially-motivated attack.

"Possible hate crime" is standard wording for the cops - if they say it's a racially motivated crime the case could get tossed out when it gets to court.

When I Googled "Coon son hate crime" I got 1,170,000 hits.

An interesting side story is that the attack may have been partially caused by the teaching at his school:

http://www.americant...t_teaching.html

The boy raised his hand and answered a question during studies in Black History Month.

"What would you know about it?" the black teacher exclaimed. "You're not our race."

I find racism, no matter what race is involved, abhorrent. I've never been able to understand it. My parents were both Texans and were, frankly, raised by nice people who were bigots. My parents didn't want to pass this world view on to us and were supremely succesful at it. My best friend in third grade was a boy with whom I had all kinds of cool adventures. When I was in my thirties my Mom and I were talking about that time period in San Diego and she told me my friend was black. I literally didn't believe her, because to me he was just my best friend.

I believe children are color-blind, but they are taught to hate. And haters are dangerous and disgusting.

Edited by Rhea, 06 April 2012 - 01:33 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#15 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

The fact is that, to paraphrase Lincoln, "if you look for the worst in a group, you're sure to find it."  If you display a group's sins to the exclusion of its triumphs ad infinitum, you can make it appear a den of demons.  And ever since the advent of video technology, propaganda films have been used the world over to cultivate racial and ethnic hostility.  It is Hate 101.

This is from Rhea's link and I had to quote it because it is very true.

As to this school...if this is the way they are teaching something needs to be done.  Yes, we should study history but we should learn from it and not repeat it.  What is done is done, it can not be undone, but we should learn from it and try to make the future better.

and I agree with cl05 too

I don't care what race they are, they are two friggin cowards. I hope they catch them and throw away the key

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users