• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Worlds first flying car.....

This week the Dutch company PAL-V announced the first flights of its prototype "flying car".
This unique vehicle is called the PAL-V One, or the 'Personal Air and Land Vehicle', and It marks the start of a new era.

On  the ground the vehicle drives like a sports car. Within minutes its  rotor is unfolded and its tail is extended: then it is ready to take off  thanks to the advanced gyrocopter technology.

With these  successful test results it is proven that it is not only possible to  build a flying car but also that it can be done within existing  international rules for both flying and driving.

Having passed this important milestone the company is now inviting investors to join them in creating the future.

The  next step will be the design of the first commercial production model  of the PAL-V, and first deliveries are expected in 2014.

http://www.technolog...gural-pour-le-p

#2 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

This will not end well. . .
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#3 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Does it come in white or yellow?
Me likey, but it needs to be able to land on top of buildings too.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

The locally designed Terrafugia, which is generally described as a "roadable airplane" rather than a "flying car" (It's expressway capable, having been tested at 90 mph, and rated at 70 mph as a car -- but why would you drive when you could fly at 100+ knots?) Nonetheless, it gets 35 mpg on the ground, using automotive gas.

While the gyroplane above was a prototype, which hasn't begun production design, the Terrafugia flew its prototype 3 years ago, and the video on this page shows the production version, which just returned from the 2-week New York Auto Show yesterday. It had already presold 100 units before the auto show. I can only imagine how many it presold there. First deliveries are slated for this year (it was meant to deliver last year, but they had parts availability and other issues)

The pre-flight (required for any air vehicle) really isn't much longer than shown her, due to an ingenious knuckle joint design, the wing unfold stronger when you put an aerodynamic load on it. Since the tail doesn't fold, you mostly just press down to make sure the knuckle joint has locked, and then check all aerodynamic surfaces for obvious physical damage and free mobility (no stuck cables)

#5 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,913 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

I find this funny in kind of a morbid way because so many morons can't even keep their cars ON the road or obey simple driving rules with regular cars. Imagine all the mid-air collisions of people running floating stop signs or cutting each other off.  Drunk flying and air-rage for the 21st century. :p
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#6 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

Now we also have flying bikes... :D

#7 JudasRimmer

JudasRimmer

Emperor of Incompetence

• Islander
  • 681 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

^The ones in Galactica 1980 were cooler though!

Dave.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users