#1 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Full story found here:
http://autos.yahoo.c...-145308691.html

It seems like Ford is having a hard time figuring out which direction they want to take for the next generation 2015 Mustang. They want to streamline their designs which I can understand, but at the same time, they realize that the Mustang is a unique vehicle in their line-up, and they must be careful not to fudge-up one of their most successful models. The article implies that "retro stying" is in the past, but I disagree. Sales of more recent models like the Dodge Challenger and Chevy Camaro are very strong, and they are both (to some extent) "retro-styled" vehicles with a lot of good years left in them. I think Ford should treat this like VW treated the new Beetle. The "New Beetle" came out around 1999 if I remember correctly. That was what kicked off the "retro styling" craze. That design was around for many years, and worked well for VW. For 2012, VW has a new Beetle design that is all-new, more modern, but still retro. Ford can follow this approach as well. Either that or they can go ahead and be "vanilla" and make the next Mustang a Fusion Coupe, which I have mixed feelings about:

[img]http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/9divVJP8iwqRIdFe50fJyg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/motoramic/evosstang.jpg[/img]

What do you think?
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#2 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

similar to this?

Attached Files

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#3 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

I would not mind that design for a Fusion coupe (I don't know what the name is for the sedan sold in other countries), but not for a Mustang.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#4 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

Ford needs to stay with their retro plans but maybe bring the Mustang back even closer to the retro idea (like maybe a 70 Mustang). I do agree that the above design would make a great Fusion coupe, but NOT a Mustang. As was stated, the success of the Camero and Challenger shows that the retro look on previous muscle cars is the way to go.

LoP

#5 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

Mark: Tweak and refine is fine. Totally forgetting where you came from because you think retro-styled cars are now out-of-style is totally stupid! There are ways of styling cars that update the looks without completely throwing away the heritage styling, and will keep everyone happy.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

well, the article made plain that they have a challenging goal with the Mustang.  For success, the Mustang needs to be easily built and appreciated in foreign markets, but foreign requirements and tastes don't easily lend to the Mustang's current look.  Conversely, and as evidenced in this thread, the look favored by foreign markets look... foreign. :)  Americans, currently the Mustang's primary customer, don't like it.  Somehow they have to strike a balance.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#7 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on 20 April 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

well, the article made plain that they have a challenging goal with the Mustang.  For success, the Mustang needs to be easily built and appreciated in foreign markets, but foreign requirements and tastes don't easily lend to the Mustang's current look.  Conversely, and as evidenced in this thread, the look favored by foreign markets look... foreign. :)  Americans, currently the Mustang's primary customer, don't like it.  Somehow they have to strike a balance.

QT

Mark: Hey, if the Euro crowd doesn't like the look of our American Mustang, Ford has plenty other candidates for them to buy. The only other alternative I can see without compromising what the Mustang IS (an American muscle-car), is make a Euro-version Mustang. Yes, Eurotang would cost Ford extra money, but if styling is the only concern, they could build it on it's existing frame, with existing engines, just changing the styling to fit the Euro market. The Eurotang may actually have some buyers in the American marketplace...but if I were Ford, I wouldn't forget the American customer's wishes, because WE are what made Mustang what it is today.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users