• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

You could say that I was inspired by Alica's  baking blog, but I don't bake/cook enough interesting things to blog  about it, but I do knit and crochet on occasion. My latest half-finished  project can be done in a weekend when there isn't anything else to do.  Or in the evenings while watching tv or something. I have most days free  so I'm either knitting, crocheting or writing.

I've completed one of a pair of, what do I call them? Knitting gloves?  Crochet Gloves? Typing gloves? Most would call them handwarmers or  wristwarmers or fingerless mittens. You can find literally TONS of free  patterns for them on the internet. In fact  http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/ links to tons and tons of any  knitting pattern you could ever imagine-all free to use.

Now, back to my handwarmers. Yes I have pictures. While I could have  just used one of the free patterns, adjusted to what I was looking for, a  basic handwarmer can be knit by any capable knitter without a pattern.  What I wanted was something basic, but I wanted it a bit snug, with a  bit of compression because my hands/wrists get sore from lots of  needlework/typing. A lightweight hand/wristwarmer seemed an obvious  choice since we're getting into summer here in the Southern U.S. I wrote  the pattern down and will post it below. In the mean time, the  pictures:

HW.jpg

This is what it looks like just off the needles. I decided on knitting them flat, but they can be adapted to circular knitting. The bump in the middle is the thumb gusset.

HW1.jpg

This is it all sewn up. Doesn't look like it will fit a very large hand, does it? You can also barely see the seam.

HW2.jpg

The back of the hand. If you look closely you might see the seam between the pinky and ring fingers.

HW3.jpg

Palm of the hand, showing off the thumb gusset.

Anyway, to illustrate, my wrist is 7" in circumference and my palm is approximately 8" in circumference. The bottom ribbing is exactly 4" wide before seaming, so the yarn has some stretch. It was a little difficult getting it on, but I wasn't looking for something just to warm, I was looking for something that compresses a little like those nylon things you can buy in craft stores.

So, I can wear them while typing, knitting or crocheting since the fingers are all free. It's just a basic pattern with the yarn itself providing all the awesomeness in its self-striping.

Pattern in the next post for anyone interested.

#2 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Let's just call them handwarmers: If you don't want them to fit really snug, I'll put in alterations in brackets for a slightly larger size

1 skein Bernat Baby Jacquards (More than enough for a pair or two, sample shown in Berries n Cream)
Knitting needles size 3 (I used a short circular)
Yarn needle

Gauge: Ribbing= 4" wide (unstretched)
Size: OSFM (ladies)

Note: To make this pattern larger, go up a needle size or two, or CO a few more sts, just make sure it's an even number of sts. Just be sure to adjust the pattern accordingly when working the thumb gusset, it should be worked on the center two sts.

Note: Sl the first st of every row to make a nice edge for sewing. On k rows, sl as if to k, on p rows, sl as if to p, on ribbing, sl as if to k.

Note: Backward loop CO (For thumb gusset): Wrap yarn around left thumb, having the end coming off the skein on the bottom and sl the end of the needle through bottom of lp and sl lp off thumb. Do not pull too tightly once st is on needle (it's best if you leave it slightly loose so it's easier to work on the next row-it should slide easily on needle, but not be sagging)

Note: M1 (make one) is an increase made by lifting the yarn strand between sts on the needles, twisting it and placing it on the left hand needle, then working it off as a new stitch.

Note: This pattern is easily adjustable for circular knitting if you like, just divide the sts between dpns and k every row in the main body of the glove. On the thumb gusset, inc bet markers every other row, then k one more row (after last inc) before BO the 12 sts. The gauge may be off in circular knitting, so use measurements to gauge when to start thumb gusset and when to start top ribbing. You'll want about an inch of stock st before and after the thumb gusset. Also, do not sl the first st of each rnd as when you're knitting flat in rows.

CO 34 [40] sts using continental CO (Long Tail, I prefer it since it's stretchy)

Work in 1x1 ribbing for 32 rows (3")

Switch to stock st and work for 10 rows (1")

Thumb gusset:

Continue in Stock St and k the first 16 [19] sts, pm, m1, k2, m1, pm, k last 16 sts. P next row, sl markers.

Continue as above, inc 1 st each end bet markers with m1, until you have 12 sts bet markers. End by working a p row.

K to marker, remove marker and BO 12 sts, removing other marker, k to end of row.

P to gap, then CO 2 sts using backward loop, then p to end of row. (I've tried other CO methods for the middle of a row and this one looks most natural)

K 10 rows (1")

Work in 1x1 ribbing for 8 rows (1"), BO in ribbing, leaving a long tail for sewing.

Using yarn needle, fold mitt in half lengthwise (right sides together) and sew side seam, matching sts.

Knitting terms:

CO=Cast On
BO=Bind Off
k=knit
p=purl
rnd=round
skp=slip one, knit one, pass slipped stitch over
YO=yarn over
k2tog/p2tog=knit two together/purl two together
inc=increase
dec=decrease
pm=place marker
m1=make one (an increase)

As always, I'm writing this about the yarn I used to make them, but you can substitute any comparable yarn, as long as it knits to the same gauge. Any baby sport yarn should do. Using a heavier or lighter yarn will result in the gauge being off, so adjust accordingly.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

This pattern is © to me, Julie Hicks, AKA as EChatty. You may print a copy out for your own personal use.

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

I like them.    :)    Your weekend project is better than mine.  I'm cleaning my garage.    :p
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thank you :)

I hate cleaning and don't do it as often as I should.

I have lots of projects in various stages of construction and will go from one to the other.

#5 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

When I feel brave enough I will try to knit my own because of my CT-I think they will help me keep crochet/knit for longer.

I hear you on cleaning-it's awful I hate it and I never want to do it.

My weekend project is crocheting a set of purple coasters.  I have too much yarn and I need to get rid of all of it. Oh well.

#6 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,633 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

obsidian crocheted me a pair of arm warmers - they're dead useful in my cold office (typing with gloves on is difficult!).

P1000939(1).JPG

P1000940(1).JPG

Purple!! Hmm..should have tidied my desk before taking those pics :p

Edited by Alica, 24 April 2012 - 12:10 PM.
spelling

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#7 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

Nice armwarmers. I crocheted some purple armwarmers for a friend of mine at church who likes them. I haven't made any for myself that go as far as yours do. I usually make them so they cover my wrists and a bit of my arm, and I have one pair that goes about halfway up my arm.

Obsidian, you're welcome to try the pattern, it's easily adjustable up or down by either casting on more or fewer stitches or going up or down a needle size.

Alica, you should see my living room, it would scare you silly ;)

#8 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,633 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Oh I'm not tidy in the slightest ;) I can scare my obsessive compulsive friends with stories of how not all my cds are in the correct cases, and how I can't always be bothered to put my clothes away so I open the nearest drawer and put them down there....
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#9 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

My clothes are lucky if they make it out of the dryer and into a basket :lol:

Anyway, I've been cleaning up some around the sofa where my laptop and a lot of my yarn resides. If I'm not careful the yarn and projects will wind around each other and it's a chore to detangle them.

I'm also working on a crochet skirt, a pattern I found at http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/ . It's the basic black plus size skirt in women's clothing>dresses and skirts after you get to the pattern directorty.

I'll be tweaking it a bit to suit myself, but I really like how it's coming out so far. I will have to purchase a half slip to wear under it as the pattern is slightly openwork. For one thing, I'm not using black ;)

#10 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

I'm not a knitter lol.  I can't knit very well.  I can do the basics but I have never tried to increase or decrease(nor do I even know how to do this yet).  When I have mastered this concept I shall try the pattern.

I belong to an awesome web community Ravelry; it's a community for knitters/spinners/crocheters and they have a ton of patterns both free or ones you can pay for and download.  I get a lot of my patterns from there.  It's really awesome and worth checking out if you want to get into yarn crafts.  

I have about seven projects currently which are all knotted together.  I had to cut the strings leading out from them which means I have wasted lots of yarn and I'm going to have to find the corresponding ball of yarn and knot the strings together(this makes me very angry as some of the yarn is discontinued and cannot be found easily-there isn't much left in the wide world).  Grrrrr.  I need a better way to store the yarn.

#11 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

View PostAlica, on 24 April 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

I can scare my obsessive compulsive friends with stories of how not all my cds are in the correct cases
:freakoutnonny:   :p

... and how I can't always be bothered to put my clothes away so I open the nearest drawer and put them down there....
I toss mine over chairs.    :blush:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#12 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

View Postobsidianstorm13, on 26 April 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

I'm not a knitter lol.  I can't knit very well.  I can do the basics but I have never tried to increase or decrease(nor do I even know how to do this yet).  When I have mastered this concept I shall try the pattern.

I belong to an awesome web community Ravelry; it's a community for knitters/spinners/crocheters and they have a ton of patterns both free or ones you can pay for and download.  I get a lot of my patterns from there.  It's really awesome and worth checking out if you want to get into yarn crafts.  

I have about seven projects currently which are all knotted together.  I had to cut the strings leading out from them which means I have wasted lots of yarn and I'm going to have to find the corresponding ball of yarn and knot the strings together(this makes me very angry as some of the yarn is discontinued and cannot be found easily-there isn't much left in the wide world).  Grrrrr.  I need a better way to store the yarn.

There are all kinds of help sites out there now for knitting, one I use a whole lot because it has links to literally tons of free patterns is:

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/

It will also link to help sites, and I bet you can find some helpful videos on youtube if you search. I'll do that and come back if I find something and link to it for you.

I'm registered at Ravelry myself and have bought/dl patterns from there.

Nonny-like I said above, my clothes are lucky to make it out of the dryer and into a basket, and that's only because I need to put another load on to dry ;)

Edit: Just popping in the search criteria 'knitting increase stitch' I got a whole search page of different videos:

http://www.youtube.c...3j1j1j4j1.10.0.

Edited by EChatty, 26 April 2012 - 07:45 AM.
Insert a youtube link

#13 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

View Postobsidianstorm13, on 26 April 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

Had to address this in a different post. I do not cut my yarn if it gets tangled up with each other, I can usually sit and figure out how to get it detangled and rolled up. I'll look for an end and just start working it back through the pile until I find the other end/ball/skein it's attached to, then if there's a lot pulled out I'll just roll it into a ball. Yes, it takes much patience and time to do this, but I have yet to have to cut my yarn doing it this way.

When I find projects that I'm not sure of for whatever reason I'll just frog them out and roll the yarn to use in something else.

As for storing it, you can try hanging some milk crates on the wall and putting the yarn in those-kind of like how the specialty yarn stores do it-a wall full of diamond-shaped cubbies.

#14 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

Finished the other handwarmer. Now I need to find the first one I made. I think it's in the wash at home.

#15 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

armwarmer.jpg

As you can see, I've started another handwarmer. I'll be using the basic pattern I wrote above, but showing how it can be adapted to another style of knitting, as well as different yarn/needles. As you can see, I'm using two circular knitting needles and knitting it in the round so there will be no seam to sew. Yes, I can knit in the round on double-pointed needles, but I prefer this method better. Why?

[1] As you can see, I can push the work down onto the wires and the chance of dropped stitches is reduced to practically nil.
[2] Since the wire is so flexible I can try it on as I go and make sure it fits. Also so that I can make sure that the length is where I want it before starting any shaping.
[3] It's much more portable because of the lower chance of dropped stitches.

There are two downsides to knitting with two circulars-one is the possibility of accidental yarn-overs when transitioning from one needle to the other. If you remember to pick up your working yarn from between the two needles when you start, then this won't happen. If you aren't watching what you're doing, then you might pick it up from behind the back needle, and then you'll have an accidental YO when you knit back to the other side. This isn't too much of a problem for me, instead of knitting back to the YO and correcting it, I'll sometimes pull it off the needle, twist it and put it on the other needle in front of the first stitch and then knit the two together as one stitch (like doing a K2tog decrease).

The other downside is accidentally grabbing the wrong end to knit with, then you end up with all of your stitches on one needle. Just make sure that you grab the other end of the circular in the front and leave the circular in the back hanging. It helps if you use two different lengths of circular when doing this-one short and one a bit longer-that way if the stitches you're about to work are on the longer one then you'll know to grab the other end of the longer circular to knit with.

I make socks on dpns as well as two circulars. I haven't done much Magic Loop knitting except in practice, though I'd still like to do a pair of socks this way just to say I did it. I'll need to order a long circular to do this with though, none of mine are long enough.

I'm only knitting on 28 stitches this time because I'm using heavier yarn (worsted weight) and larger needles (size7). They won't be as tight as the yellow/pink ones, but they'll be snug and warm. I'm going to make the ribbing narrower and the arm longer before starting the thumb. Will keep you updated.

#16 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

socks.jpg

This is a sock I've been working on (not gonna say for how long). The mate to it is already finished and, as you can see from the left picture, I've turned the heel on this one. The picture on the right shows the front of the sock and the pattern, which is a free Ravelry dl.

http://www.ravelry.c...ibrary/tadpoles

If you look at mine and then at hers, you'll see that I did the top ribbing and the heel differently. This is because I like 1x1 ribbing and short row heels better, nothing against the designer. The pattern is actually quite easy and goes pretty quickly when you sit down and do it. Mine is made from Bernat Baby Jacquards, same as used in the handwarmers, in the color Boo Berries.

#17 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

The socks are done, working on the skirt now and a couple pairs of handwarmers in different weight yarns-a pair in brown WW and a pair in the leftover blue yarn from the socks I just finished. Doing the blue pair all at the same time by splitting the yarn into two equal size balls and using two circulars like the brown ones, but casting on both of them with the two balls. Yeah, if I'm  not careful they'll twist around each other, but it's easily remedied.

#18 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:01 AM

Anyone got any really awesome patterns for baby clothing?  I can't decide what to give to my mother-in-law to knit!

#19 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

Ha!  When I saw your name on the Last Post Info, I was betting on baby clothes!    :D
Posted Image

#20 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

Check this link out from my KPC link above, you're bound to find something you like :)

http://www.knittingp...ectory/baby.php

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users