• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

Starting this thread partly because I did hear from FnlPrblm this afternoon, relative to the storms that went through St. Louis, and happily he is okay...Yay! :)...although his folks' house and property suffered some minor damage from the baseball-sized hail that was with the storm.  :unsure:

He asked me to post that he was okay if I didn't see any posts by him to that effect, so that others would also know he's allright, as his laptop was about to give out and he wasn't sure how soon he'd be back on.

So Fnl is fine. :)

Anyway, I started thinking that maybe it's time to start this season's severe weather thread, as it's been pointed out elsewhere on the board that the Tornado Season got off to an early and deadly start, so this is a way for us to keep each other informed.

Could the mods pin this thread, so that it's quick to find for those checking in, and also for those of us checking on our friends?  Thanks!  :)

Peri

Edited by Darkside_1, 05 May 2012 - 08:10 AM.
as per personal request from Peridot

Posted Image

#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Purry Dot,

Being the person fascinated with severe weather on this board, I didn't hear about the outbreak-simply because I've been I-N-S-A-N-E-L-Y busy today. :wacko: I'm off to take a quick look at the Stormtrack board. :whatsthat:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,095 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

Last night was really intense, although it didn't open up until about 40 min. after I got home.

I was on the way home from work last night and was in the middle of switching buses at an intersection and while waiting for the lights to change, I turned and looked back and saw a huge low wall of dark clouds come rolling in.....fast.  I thought it was going to open up and dump a lot of rain on me right then, thankfully I had my umbrella at the ready.  Surprisingly, the rain didn't really start for a good hour or so, which gave me more than enough time to do my errand on my way home, grab a quick bite, and head home quickly.  We had lots of thunder and lightning in the Toronto area last night and lots of rain.

Outside of that, I didn't lose any power and my internet was fine.

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#4 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,537 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

Indeed I'm okay. :)  Thanks Peri for posting on my behalf.  I've been super busy with things.  House currently has multiple windows out.  My parents car has had various issues, including a smashed windshield from several baseball sized hail hitting it.  My car was spared the baseball sized hail, but got hit with three waves of quarter sized hail.  I already was heavily looking into buying a new car for well over a month.  And Saturday I finally got to pull the trigger on one.  There have been other things too.  But overall, no one is hurt and just dealing with the clean up, the insurance people and the re-builders.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#5 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

• 3,095 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

Glad to hear you're okay, FNL.  Good luck with the home issues you're dealing with between the repairs and the damage to your parent's car.

HBO TV Movie - 1990

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#6 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,537 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:51 AM

Thanks Darkside.  It's been trying at times.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#7 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostFnlPrblm, on 07 May 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

Indeed I'm okay. :)  Thanks Peri for posting on my behalf.  I've been super busy with things.  House currently has multiple windows out.  My parents car has had various issues, including a smashed windshield from several baseball sized hail hitting it.  My car was spared the baseball sized hail, but got hit with three waves of quarter sized hail.  I already was heavily looking into buying a new car for well over a month.  And Saturday I finally got to pull the trigger on one.  There have been other things too.  But overall, no one is hurt and just dealing with the clean up, the insurance people and the re-builders.

You're welcome.  :)

And as Darkside mentioned, I hope things will get straightened out with the storm damage you and your folks are dealing with.

:hugs:

Also, a late but sincere thank you to Darkside for pinning the thread and fixing my subtitle! It's appreciated! :)

Peri
Posted Image

#8 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

• 3,095 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

Peri, as I mentioned to you from my PM response...

No Problem...

noproblem.gif coolthumbup.gif

HBO TV Movie - 1990

Posted Image

Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#9 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

• 3,095 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Heavy rains, low clouds and strong wind gusts today.  :crazy:

The wind wrecked a couple of arms of my strong umbrella on my way to work after getting off the bus while switching to a local route as I was on an express service route.  I ended up taking a taxi the rest of the way to work, and took a cab home from work.

Already in downtown Toronto, we got flooding in one of our "nexus point" subway stations that closed down a few stations on that stretch, that the transit service had to call in around 80 or so busses to serve as shuttles between the affected areas.

It's a mess out there....

HBO TV Movie - 1990

Posted Image

Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

There were some bad storms in the northeast last night.  The worst missed me, but anyone in NYC, NJ or other places affected, please check in!

I'll come back with articles in a bit.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

I posted some articles on the storms in the OT tornado thread.

I hope everyone's safe!

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#12 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

guess this is where everyone will put these? Sandy_2012,
so all east shore-ers getting the first hints, much winds and rains, this perfect stormish idea will most def be big and wide, and sit round for at least three-four days, so much inches of rainfalls and high winds: they are saying that NJ is def preparing for power outages with preapproved overtime, but bigger questions are up or down from there, like MD and Mass. areas, plus long island, cape cod...
http://www.baltimore...0,2792596.story
so here is a columnist blogger who writes really specializes in weather plus current events news impacting, you can follow along with weather underground or whichever you like but also follow this guy for upcoming week, as this thing sloshes the Hattaras, virginia beach, Ocean city, areas, before whipping and sloshing cape may and on upward... so y'all living up east shore way, keep lookouts, plan power, emergency bag, generators, candles, propane stoves, camp lamps et al, maybe go visit grans three hundred miles inland for a week? ;)

' The outlook had emergency officials and utilities asking residents to begin preparing for power outages, flooding and damage. Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. has begun mobilizing 1,300 workers for storm crews, officials said Thursday.
The National Hurricane Center's forecast cone called for possible landfall anywhere from North Carolina's Outer Banks to Cape Cod in Massachusetts, with the most likely target the southern New Jersey shore early Tuesday. Precise predictions will change as the storm progresses and meteorologists re-run models.
The European model, which has drawn criticism from meteorologists for over-hyping the potential impact of East Coast storms, was calling Thursday for Sandy to drive up the Delmarva. Other models, like an American one known as the GFS, predicted the storm will strike New York.
The National Weather Service predicted the potential for more than 3 to 4 inches across eastern parts of Maryland from the storm, and a 35 percent chance of tropical storm-force winds of at least 39 mph in Ocean City through Tuesday.
The Maryland Emergency Management Agency warned of a slow-moving storm that could bring two straight days of heavy rain and strong winds even if Sandy doesn't make landfall in Maryland, causing heavy surf in Ocean City and Assateague Island and wet snow in western Maryland.
'
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#13 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

• 3,095 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

Getting the outer bands of the storm with near 100 km winds and heavy rain in spots...

HBO TV Movie - 1990

Posted Image

Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#14 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,345 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:04 AM

Everyone from the east coast please check in, let us know you are safe.

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,000 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Safe and sound here.  We got off lightly (I'm in Quincy, just South of Boston).  NYC and NJ did not. The storm has caused the Great Lakes to act up as well-- I have some friends in Ohio who have damage and flooding in their areas as well, but they're okay.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#16 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

I'm doing okay. My part of WV didn't get hit with the blizzard.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#17 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,425 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

Me and Fred came through Sandy all right.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#18 innocentone

innocentone

Here to the next generation

• Forever Missed
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Innocentone, checking in from Hackensack, NJ.   sorry I could not check in until today Saturday Nov 3, 2012  I just got my computer and tv and phone back. Hit pretty hard here but we are coming along slowly.  Sandy left chaos here.  But thanks God we survived.

#19 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

I just checked in looking for some severe weather, nothing to speak of where I am.
Glad your getting it all back together again TIO.
I understand no web, it has become a common occurrence with my ISP
but that has nothing to do with the weather. :glare:
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#20 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Yay TIO, glad you're safe and dry!  :D

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2012, weather, severe, storm

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users