Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

All is getting back to some normalicy  still hectic here,

((((HUGS)))

#22 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,095 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

We got hammered big time with a brutal snowstorm that came through the Toronto area.

I left early this morning for work and was late by 15 min.  Getting home was another matter.  Took me a good 2 hours to get home on the bus.  Crazy.

To top it all off, at my work; one of our offsite storage facilities grounded their fleet of vehicles and cancelled our pickup and delivery service because of the weather and their management didn't want to risk the safety of their employees and the media that they transport to and from their clients as they were suspending service until the weather clears up by the next day hopefully.  Made things interesting for me as I had to set up contingency plans for our clients.  Hopefully there won't be any issues this weekend.  Snow has stopped but the roads are still a mess and local transit is bolloxed in spots. :crazy:

Thank God I'm home.

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#23 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,000 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Luckily, I work from home, so I didn't have to worry about traveling in it.  They asked me to start a half hour early and I got to quit about fifteen minutes early.  But then I ended up being without power for 33 hours and spending Saturday night in a shelter. My car was buried because they didn't plow the parking lot until sometime in the middle of the night.  Everything's looking good now, though.  I've dispelled the chill from the place and I look forward to a good night's sleep.  I didn't sleep at all Friday night and only dozed intermittently at the shelter last night.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#24 Scotsmuppet

Scotsmuppet

Scotsmuppet

• Islander
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Friday, it was decided we could leave work an hour early, just as everything was turning to constant snow in Central NJ. Driving conditions were slow-going, snow on the roads, minimal salting on the local roads, the radio indicated many accidents on the major highways.
My neck of the woods (14 miles to the north of my office) got between 6-8 inches, depending on which drift you stuck the meter stick into. Sufficient for a few hour's inconvenience while digging out, about twice what the office got.
All things considered, much of NJ got off lucky with this one, with recovery from Hurricane Sandy (and the Nor'Easter that followed a week after) still underway.

#25 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

We feel very, very fortunate right now....Kahoutek and I have power, but over 400,000 customers across the state of Michigan do not, and more than 50,000 of those are in our area of the state.  Crews in our area have not been able to even give an estimate of when power will be restored, because they have to clear away the numerous--and dangerous--downed power lines before they can proceed to restore power to people.

We could still lose power, if more trees come down, but we're hoping that doesn't happen.

Ice storms...beautiful, but treacherous.

Peridot
Posted Image

#26 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

Do you know if Kalamazoo has any outages. Peridot? I have good friends that live there, but they don't have a phone.

Hopefully, you don't lose power.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#27 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,095 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

Toronto is slowly recovering from a brutal ice storm from the weekend.  There are still neighborhoods without power.  My place hasn't been hit yet with power loss so I still have full service.  One of my offices got affected big time from the storm as they were on generator power on the weekend.  Power to the mains got restored but our network capacity isn't back up to full strength yet.  My team there has partial network connectivity but no ability to print documents.  So, I've been busy with remote support for my team as my other work site has full strength network, power and printing; so I was doing the printing of the reports, collating them and eventually running them down to the other site so their night shipments can be processed.  :crazy:

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#28 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostElara, on 23 December 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

Do you know if Kalamazoo has any outages. Peridot? I have good friends that live there, but they don't have a phone.

Hopefully, you don't lose power.

Yes, I believe they do, Elara...at least outages are reported in Kalamazoo County.  I'm posting a link to a utility web page that shows outages.  It looks like the Kalamazoo area has less outages than some other areas, but that could be just that there are other utilities in that area, and that some areas are served by a different utility than Consumers Energy.

http://www.consumers...y.com/outagemap

Also here is an article that I found that gives some info; it also makes me think that possibly Kalamazoo didn't get hit as hard, though there clearly are some problems.  Hope this info is helpful!

http://www.mlive.com...t_river_default

View PostDarkside_1, on 23 December 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Toronto is slowly recovering from a brutal ice storm from the weekend.  There are still neighborhoods without power.  My place hasn't been hit yet with power loss so I still have full service.  One of my offices got affected big time from the storm as they were on generator power on the weekend.  Power to the mains got restored but our network capacity isn't back up to full strength yet.  My team there has partial network connectivity but no ability to print documents.  So, I've been busy with remote support for my team as my other work site has full strength network, power and printing; so I was doing the printing of the reports, collating them and eventually running them down to the other site so their night shipments can be processed.  :crazy:

Yup.  Same storm.  From what I read elsewhere, Ontario got hit as hard as Michigan did, and there are many without power in the province, both in Toronto and other places.  Glad you still have power, though!

Peridot
Posted Image

#29 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

A belated thank you, Peridot. I actually found an e-mail from my friend moments after I posted that. :D They were fine, but others near them lost power. Back in 2008, February, our block was out for a week, three days longer than any of the blocks surrounding us.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#30 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,537 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

:hugs: Peri!  :hugs:  Sorry I didn't see this sooner.  I was sick with a viral infection for over a week (still have a cough three weeks later).

Glad to see you're ok.  :)
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2012, weather, severe, storm

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users