I think we have a ghost in the box

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

What the heck is the problem with our satellite receiver? We'll be watching tv and it switches channels. Or the dvr backs up and fast forwards on it's own or it just plain turns off. Or it pauses. Or we turn it on and it's on a channel we don't watch. On it's own. I have taken the batteries out of the remote and it still goes bananas. It doesn't happen all the time but enough to be really annoying.

We had a similar problem years ago - but it was just the channel changing. I realized then our neighbor had the same tv company and our remotes were on the same frequency/channel so I changed ours. And everything was fine.  But that was the other (radio) remote - not the one that needs line of sight to work. (IR?)

That neighbor has cable now. And I know they don't watch the channels that our 'ghost' likes (the channels are usually Spanish stations). And why would they keep backing up and fast forwarding? Weird.

I went ahead and changed the remote frequency anyway and it still keeps happening. I'm going to have to call tech support and I hate dealing with them. And I don't want to get a new box.

We have 2 boxes and the other nondvr one doesn't seem to be doing this. We don't watch that one as much but I haven't seen this happen on that box.

Any ideas?

#2 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Take something opaque and place it in front of the IR sensor of the TV Box next time you have it on the channel you want, make sure you cannot change the channel with the remote from any angle.  This will block all IR signals, and let you know if it's some IR source screwing with it, or whether it's something internal that's causing it to wack out.  If it stops, then you need to identify where the IR signal is coming from, easier said than done sometimes, but turn off devices, block windows, etc until it stops.  It it does not stop when you block the reciever, then you could have a hardware problem, or someone with some smart phone who the satellite company crossed with your DVR or something, and tech support would be the way to go.

#3 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Thank you I will try that the next time it goes haywire!

#4 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

So it just happened again. Changed channels 3-4 tiimes, turned itself off.

I put a book in front of the sensors. And it kept doing it. Our remote didn't work while the book was in front of the sensors.

It's stopped now.

Edited by Shoshana, 21 May 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#5 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

Is it still working normally, or did the "ghost" strike again?

#6 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostJohn R. Sellers, on 21 May 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Is it still working normally, or did the "ghost" strike again?

The ghost struck this afternoon, and when it did, I posted earlier. While it was changing channels I put a book in front of the sensors. It didn't help, the box turned off. I moved the book so we could turn it back on and it turned off. We turned it back on and put the book back and it changed channels.

Then it was fine. It's still fine. It doesn't happen every day.

Could there be something in the box causing it to act up?

I'll keep investigating.

#7 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:21 AM

If  it keeps happening, you might be able to get a replacement from your provider.

Edit:  Which provider do you have?  Also, what's your receiver's model #?

Edited by John R. Sellers, 22 May 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#8 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

lol Dish VIP622

Tonight there was a new twist - it started playing a show we had recorded then fast forwarded through it!

I think this is our 3rd box ... the two before were replaced when they died - as in they wouldn't boot up at all. They don't offer this box anymore but they might still have some. The 722 has a bigger HD but it doesn't come with an off the air antenna input.

Thank you ...

Edited by Shoshana, 23 May 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#9 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:22 PM

Update:

I fixed it. There's an antenna on the back for RF reception so the box gets commands from the tv2 remote for use with a second tv.
It's not supposed to affect tv1 at all but we have both tv1 and tv2 input on 1 tv so we can have pic in pic.

It's still not supposed to affect the main tv - when I tried using the tv2 (RF) remote on our tv nothing happened but once I took the antenna off, our ghost went away. So, someone has something putting out RF and even tho I tried swiching RF channels a number of times without it getting better, just keeping the antenna off worked.

No idea what RF device, but I'm happy it's fixed

#10 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:08 AM

Glad you finally got it taken care of.   I can't believe it took you...or rather I should say, you stuck with it for nearly three years! :o
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#11 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,752 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

Victory is hers! Victory is hers! Great day in the morning! Victory is hers!

Bring her the finest muffins and bagels in all the land! For today, she drinks from the Cup of Glory!

#12 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:55 AM

Lol. I sorted it out months ago but was still waiting for the problem to return. It did, but only after my husband cleaned the entertainment center and put it back on.

I'm still annoyed it happened and wish I knew what RF device was causing the problem but hey, it's fixed!

#13 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,752 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:11 PM

#14 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

:)