• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Carroll Shelby, the charismatic Texan who parlayed a  short-lived racing career into a specialized business building  high-performance, street-legal cars, died Thursday. He was 89.Shelby  died at Baylor Hospital in Dallas, according to an announcement by his  company, Carroll Shelby Licensing. A cause was not disclosed.

He  led a colorful, outsized life that touched virtually every corner of  the automotive world, said Leslie Kendall, curator of the Petersen  Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.

“He was the only  individual to influence the designs of all three major American  automakers. Everything he touched became legendary,” Kendall said.   “Even recently he was working on an experimental engine.”

Living in the fast lane was a matter of fact for Shelby, who designed the cult-classic Shelby Cobras and Ford’s Shelby Mustang.

http://www.latimes.c...0,7384989.story

I'm simply shocked... no words describe this loss.

Posted Image

#2 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

http://jalopnik.com/...gend-dead-at-89
Posted Image

#3 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

An extremely sad day for car fanatics like me. He helped bring the Mustang into the muscle car world. I will miss him.

LoP

#4 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

Mark: NOOOOOO!
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users