4 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Spoilers

Finch finds a lot of in common with their newest Number, who has run afoul of the government. Meanwhile, Reese learns about Finch's past.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:05 AM

Okay, a lot of backstory here.  Finch was originally okay with the Machine dismissing "non-relevant" crimes, and it was his partner, Nathan, who added the "backdoor."  I expect we'll soon find that Nathan was killed and Finch injured in some clash with the government over control of the Machine, and Finch began carrying out this mission to honor Nathan's wishes and atone for his role in Nathan's demise.  I think that's been pretty well telegraphed by this point.

Pretty foolish of Finch to reveal his connection to the Machine while talking to that analyst in a public place.  Finch of all people should be preternaturally aware of the risk of surveillance and should always take care to avoid it.  I don't like it when characters in paranoia-driven shows abruptly forget all their caution when it's convenient for the plot.

Edited by Christopher, 12 May 2012 - 07:05 AM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

The amount of heat coming down on the analyst was pretty amazing given how little he knew, I've always wondered if Finch only gets the SS#s from the machine what happens to the rest of the data?
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,633 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Apparently the government only gets #SSN too. Finch and Ingram designed the machine to be a closed system that never revealed any of the calculations it did from the data it analyzed but only passed on the name of a person key to the resolution of various threats.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostCardie, on 12 May 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

Apparently the government only gets #SSN too. Finch and Ingram designed the machine to be a closed system that never revealed any of the calculations it did from the data it analyzed but only passed on the name of a person key to the resolution of various threats.

Cardie

The government has to get more than that, the macine was designed to prevent another 9/11 the SS#s are merely fringe infomation. Plus I do think that if the government were also getting the same info as Finch they'd laid a trap for him long ago.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Person of Interest, Person of Interest: Season 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users