Demigods

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Woodmansee

Woodmansee
  • Demigod
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

There appear to be ripple circle patterns of cooler regions in the cosmic microwave background radiation. We don't know what they mean.  One theory is they are evidence of a cyclic universe... a previous big crunch before the big bang.  I don't follow that argument myself, but who knows.

Here is an article on it: http://news.discover...-radiation.html

and another good one: http://news.national...-science-space/

Paul

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostWoodmansee, on 13 June 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

One theory is they are evidence of a cyclic universe... a previous big crunch before the big bang.  I don't follow that argument myself, but who knows.

The reasoning might seem clearer if you eliminate the Big Crunch. As I understand it Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology features infinite expansion, but models space-time differently so that there are time-like, space-like or lightlike infinities near the right corner, top corner or upper right edge of the Penrose diagram. To any observer in any "now", spacetime will appear locally flat, but the distant future or past (in the time-like v axis of the Penrose diagram) will appear to compress. Such universes can be connected, with the distant timelike infinity in the future (+v) of one looking like a pointlike explosion in the distant past (bottom corner or distant -v) of the other.

The rings would apparently correspond to a countable sequence of linked Penrose universes, each following the FLRW metric (the standard cosmology) which is an exact solution of Einstein's Field equations of GR, but after that, you're on your own. My math fails me

#3 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,218 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

In scenarios like this, I tend to go with PI.
If there is no finality to PI then how can their be a finality to the universe?
It would mean a crunch would be totally unrealistic, but what do I know?
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#4 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostWoodmansee, on 13 June 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

There appear to be ripple circle patterns of cooler regions in the cosmic microwave background radiation. We don't know what they mean.  
It says "Hello, Sweetie."
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#5 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,218 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

^LOL

Okay maybe it's saying hello sweetie cause it's a wave generated by  black holes? They just love to suck you in.

Of course this thread or parts there of, has haunted me, and the black hole is the closest thing we have to a crunch. It does not crunch so much as vaporise and expels the gas...So that's what they mean by the BBT?

Sorry if this has already been speculated on in this forum while I was off in RL, that perhaps Black holes are creating new galaxies? The recycle bins of the universe?

The [Predicted] Electroweak Star theory would support my hypothesis.

#6 Woodmansee

Woodmansee
  • Demigod
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Thanks Orpheus. It took a little background reading to understand your post, but I think I do now... hopefully.

On another note, as I looked into this it turns out the rings may not be there at all, as explained by Wikipedia states (with refrences to the source papers)

"Three groups have independently attempted to reproduce these results, but found that the detection of the concentric anomalies was not statistically significant, in the sense that such circles would appear in a proper Gaussian simulation of the anisotropy in the CMB data.[6][7][8] The reason for the disagreement was tracked down to an issue of how to construct the simulations that are used to determine the significance: The three independent attempts to repeat the analysis all used simulations based on the standard Lambda-CDM model, while Penrose and Gurzadyan used an undocumented non-standard approach.[9]

5.^ Gurzadyan VG; Penrose R (2010-11-16). "Concentric circles in WMAP data may provide evidence of violent pre-Big-Bang activity". arXiv:1011.3706 [astro-ph.CO].
6.^ Wehus IK; Eriksen HK (2010-12-07). "A search for concentric circles in the 7-year WMAP temperature sky maps". arXiv:1012.1268 [astro-ph.CO].
7.^ Moss A; Scott D; Zibin JP (2010-12-07). "No evidence for anomalously low variance circles on the sky". arXiv:1012.1305 [astro-ph.CO].
8.^ Hajian A (2010-12-8). "Are There Echoes From The Pre-Big Bang Universe? A Search for Low Variance Circles in the CMB Sky". arXiv:1012.1656 [astro-ph.CO].
9.^ Gurzadyan VG; Penrose R (2010-12-07). "More on the low variance circles in CMB sky". arXiv:1012.1486 [astro-ph.CO]."

I haven't read the papers myself, but an 'undocumented non-standard approach' makes me suspicious.

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Demigods

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users