Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Giant Mars Rover To Land August 5

Curiosity MarsScienceLab Mars landing rover

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

link

WASHINGTON — NASA is just 20 days away from landing a car-size rover on Mars, but mission managers might have to wait a little longer than anticipated to learn whether the challenging touchdown succeeds or not.

NASA's 1-ton Curiosity rover, the centerpiece of the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) mission, is slated to land on the Martian surface on the night of Aug. 5 to investigate whether the planet is, or ever was, capable of harboring past or present microbial life. But first, the rover will have to survive a harrowing journey through the Red Planet's atmosphere — a process that has been nicknamed the "seven minutes of terror."

Since Curiosity is too large for an airbag-assisted landing, NASA is using a complex and unprecedented sky crane system to safely lower the rover onto the surface of the Red Planet. This sequence of events — called entry, descent and landing (EDL) — will last approximately seven minutes.

"Those seven minutes are the most challenging part of this entire mission," said Pete Theisinger, MSL project manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "For the landing to succeed, hundreds of events will need to go right, many with split-second timing and all controlled autonomously by the spacecraft."

As Curiosity streaks through the Martian atmosphere, the spacecraft must slow itself from roughly 13,200 mph (about 21,250 kilometers per hour) to zero in only seven minutes. The rocket-powered sky crane, which acts similar to a backpack with three nylon cords attached, will help to control the rover's descent.

Let's hope that everything works out!  :whatsthat:  :vulcan:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

Mark: A sky-crane, eh? I wonder what that looks like?

You know, I see an opportunity for an epic commercial coming out of this story.    Imagine this....

No sound, just the picture of some cables lowering something unseen into the Martian atmosphere. The camera is switched to a surface view, panning and detailing a dust-blown red surface with winds howling. The intro to Rush's, Spirit of Radio begins to blare. Then with a loud but sturdy crash (along with Neil Peart's symbols), a Hummer hits the dusty Martian plane, wheels spin, dust flies, and the title credits flash, "Hummer" onscreen, along with the "Voice of God" speaking..."...when you absolutely cannot fail to explore".

Well, anyway...something like that. :cool: I'd like the ad...even if nobody else did.

Edited by Mark, 17 July 2012 - 01:10 AM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

Thanks for the article.

I'd seen NASA interviews speaking of the "14+ minute" delay, when I knew Mars would be just 11.5 light minutes away at the start of EDL. (Odyssey is fully functional again, BTW, so it *will* be a 11.5 min radio delay, not 14+. Also It'll Be Aug 6, not 5, in Eur/Asia and my half of the US).

Here's a nice video on Curiosity's hair-raising (some say hare-brained) 7 minute EDL sequence.
I'm sure you'll agree that it is ambitious enough to be a real nailbiter

Here's a project-leader's look (very different from the scientists-eye view) at the Curiosity hardware that I found informative. I have to admit I only listened to it in the background (twice) and I could never see the laser pointer when I happened to look at that screen.

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

Mark-that's not the Rush song I'd choose. I'd choose the one below (one of my all-times faves, BTW-this version is a bit short though).

Edited by Vapor Trails, 17 July 2012 - 10:19 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

Mark: I like it!
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

Oprh,

I downloaded the second video, burned a DVD of it, and I'm watching it now. Very cool. :cool:

Posted Image

"Git you ahs to Mahs."
Posted Image

#7 Woodmansee

Woodmansee
  • Demigod
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

There is more information at our web site:

http://www.nasa.gov/...main/index.html

It says the entry vehicle is all lined up, but actually this Saturday there is one last small delta V maneuver of 11mm/sec to center the trajectory in the atmospheric entry target spot.

Paul

#8 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostWoodmansee, on 26 July 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

There is more information at our web site:

http://www.nasa.gov/...main/index.html

It says the entry vehicle is all lined up, but actually this Saturday there is one last small delta V maneuver of 11mm/sec to center the trajectory in the atmospheric entry target spot.

Paul

Mark: Nice! Thanks for keeping us updated, Paul.
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#9 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

a5.jpg

#10 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

Ex Isle will be broadcasting NASA's "pregame show" tonight starting at 11pm EDT Sunday August 5 followed by the landing (1:35 AM EDT)  and the "postgame coverage" plus early video/data returns through the following morning.

As usual, it will be in a close-able video window on the index page, for those who don't want to watch.

[Edit: Due to a change in TV schedule, the ExIsle broadcast will begin at 11:30pm EDT]

Edited by Orpheus, 05 August 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#11 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

A perfect landing, apparently.  !!!!

http://io9.com/59320...o-when-it-lands

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#12 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

I was amused to learn that Curiosity's manifest included a 1909 VDB Lincoln penny as a calibration target for its on-board cameras -- a nod to the geologists' tradition of putting a coin of their nationality in mineral sample shots

#13 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

panorama snapped by the new Curiosity on Mars
http://news.sky.com/...norama-pictures
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#14 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

This image of a Martian dust devil (wind vortex) was taken in March, so it has nothing specifically to do with Curiosity, but I thought you'd all appreciate it.

a1.jpg
[This is not an animation, just a single frame. NASA's embedded video player always give me grief]

I still have difficulty reconciling its stated base diameter (70m) and height (20 km). NASA did an animation, but I think that it really fails to convey the scale.

#15 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Mark: I've not read-up on Martian science. If Mars has little or no atmosphere, what are those massive air currents driven by?
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#16 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

It has, in the words of several NASA presentations, "just enough atmosphere that you can't ignore it, but not enough to help" -- the worst of both worlds, according to the Curiosity EDL team.

#17 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,155 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

#18 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

And that was the much simpler/smaller Spirit rover landing from 8 years ago! When you see it  that way, this year's heavier and more complex Curiosity rover landing seems all the more preposterous!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Curiosity, MarsScienceLab, Mars, landing, rover

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users