#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_1696459.html

Sally Ride Dead: First American Woman In Space Dies At 61

Sally Ride, the first American woman to travel into space, died Monday at the age of 61, the Associated Press reported.

The cause of death was pancreatic cancer, according to a statement posted on the website of Sally Ride Science, a science education company she founded in 2001. She had been battling the disease for 17 months...

After she retired from NASA in 1987, Ride became a member of the faculty of the University of California, San Diego and the California Space Institute, according to a statement posted to Sally Ride Science.

According to its website, Sally Ride Science is "dedicated to supporting girls’ and boys’ interests in science, math and technology."...

Of all the obits I've read lately, this one hits me the hardest.  Sally Ride is one of my heroes.  I got to meet her a while back, and hear about Sally Ride Science.  Of course I got a Sally Ride teddy bear, and she sits next to I Wore Combat Boots bear, wearing her astronaut uniform.

May she rest in peace.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

This was so sad to hear.  She was relatively young.   I remember when she went up.  It was a great day for women and for women in science.  

I hope her family and loved ones are comforted by her life and her accomplishments.

R.I.P. Sally Ride....

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

Pancreatic cancer is particularly painful (if death from cancer is ever painless anyways).

Death is nothing at all. It does not count.
I have only slipped away into the next room. Nothing has happened.
Everything remains exactly as it was. I am I, and you are you,
and the old life we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged.
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by the old familiar name. Speak of me in the easy way
which you always used. Put no difference into your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a
shadow upon it. Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same as it ever was.
There is absolute and unbroken continuity.
What is this death but a negligible accident?
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner.
All is well.

Canon Henry Scott Holland

Canon of St. Paul’s Cathedral, London, 1847-1918

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

RIP Sally Ride.

I can still remember being so excited when she went up into space.  Another barrier broken for women.

Thank you for all your contributions and the inspiration.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#5 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

Very sad to hear of Sally Ride's death. She was a brilliant woman and so generous with her intelligence and talent.

Julianus

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,105 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

This is sad news.  She was a pioneering figure in history.

In more ways than one, as it turned out.  It's worth noting that her obituary was also her coming out:

http://www.afterelle...y-and-comes-out

So this historic pioneer happened to be lesbian, which is a good thing to be aware of in the current sociopolitical climate.

It's not really surprising to me, though.  I mean, NASA is downright pathological about avoiding hanky-panky in space, for fear of losing funding from a government that has to answer to moralistic constituents.  So maybe they specifically wanted the first American woman in space to be a lesbian -- though of course that would mean that in order to avoid offending the sensibilities of the moralists, they did something that would've offended them far more had they known.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#7 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

^^^

I didn't know that she was a lesbian and had a partner for 27 years.  27 years that's a long time to love and honor someone.
RIP Sally Ride who was a hero before but now even more so...27 years...wow.  Thoughts and prayers are with her family and her
partner.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Sally Ride, 2012

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users