THE thread for all glitches & questions re: the upgrade

437 replies to this topic

#1 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

We need one thread for all our niggles, glitches, missing items....I am going to attempt to collect all the questions from the other 2 or 3 threads so that Orph has a one stop shop....or something like that [I am only thinking of you O].

Some questions I [and the other admins] may be able to answer

This may take some time as this board is as new to me as it is to all of you...

First off:

Where is the avatar gallery?

Do we still have an avatar gallery?

Will Avatars be 100x100?

How do we change our board  settings [changing number of posts per page etc]?

Has the the Forum Jump drop down bar gone.?

Smilies/emoticons - some have changed.

I know that there are more, but I have to go and eat.....

PLEASE post all your questions here

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#2 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

For some reason, my spellchecker is not working, even though it is turned on. Is this because of the upgrade? Not sure if glitch with board, or Firefox...
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#3 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

My firefox spellchecker is working fine.

#4 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

Spell checker works for me [I am using Chrome]

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#5 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

Weird. My spellchecker works on Facebook, but not in the Reply boxs.Any suggestions on how I can fix it?
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#6 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'm not sure, maybe Orpheus will have a solution you can try.

#7 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

Spellchecker is working most of the time for me, but sporadically it doesn't.  It seems much spottier in quick reply.  It might be fine in full reply, but I'll have to pay attention and see if that is consistent.

SFG

Edit: like just now, it only caught my typo when I went into edit.  I would say it was a "fast reply" problem, but it is not quite working now in "fast edit", either. It's like it only works on text it opens, but not while I type.

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 24 July 2012 - 03:04 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#8 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I use Firefox, and spell check is not working for me on EI. Not in replies on the board, nor in PMs.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#9 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

I forgot to say I'm in firefox too.  And it doesn't work in the soapbox, either.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#10 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

I don't know what to say, I haven't had a problem with my spellcheck in the quick reply box or regular reply box. Haven't used the shoutbox since the upgrade.

Edit: It works in the shoutbox too, and the quick edit box

Edited by EChatty, 24 July 2012 - 03:54 PM.
update

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

ARGG this just made me lose my post!  ...  Ok auto save got part.  I have to add the rest.

I just tried to edit in the shoutbox, it's really hard to describe but editing is weird!   :crazy:

It showed me a double of what I posted (two identical lines), but I could only change one of them.  Then I hit change, and nothing changed.  I couldn't add something I wanted, so I tested adding a something in another shout.  It worked, but then I couldn't take it out!

I finally got it taken out.  Then I tried to say "editing is weird" plus a smiley, and everytime I hit shout it said "your shout is empty"!!!  Grrr.  THEN on the 4th time it reposted my previous shout!

What was alll that about!?!

SFG

edit, I had to open a new shoutbox tab in order to post in shoutbox.  And yes I have stopped typing whole sentences.

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 24 July 2012 - 04:32 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,913 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

I'm having the same problem with editing/creating posts here that I have on the Tor.com boards.  If I turn on italics (or presumably bold, etc.) while typing a new line and then turn them off again, the cursor jumps to the start of the post.  It's impossible to turn off italics and just keep typing.  I have to type past it and then go back, highlight it, and italicize it.  (Does the new board still use the same markup language, with square brackets to enter italics manually?)

Also, when I hit backspace, sometimes my double-spaces between paragraphs disappear.  Sometimes they're still there in the final post, just hidden in the edit window, but on one occasion they were actually gone.

Other questions:

Where is the Forum Jump window?  I rely on that for navigation.  It's harder to get around without it.

Are we going to get the old skins back?
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#13 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

The Guidelines (which have jumped to the bottom) are missing some line breaks.  Browser: Safari.  If it doesn't show up for other people, I can detail where the missing line breaks are later.  (Or paragraph breaks, whatever!)

I second or third or whatever the plea for the ability to change the number of posts per page.  

I would also like the forum jump ability back, although I strongly suspect that's one of the glitches Orph encountered.

edit: I've had this icon for ages and ages, but I believe that it's stored in a gallery somewhere.  Also, it's animated, and has been for years, until today (or I guess since the last time I logged in and posted).  I suppose it could be worse and it could be grabbing the frame with someone's finger on a keyboard, which would confuse all but about three people, but are animated icons illegal with this version of the board?

Edited by Anakam, 24 July 2012 - 08:10 PM.

Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#14 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

The two things I want back are the drop-down menu and more skins. Preferably darker skins since this light one is really hurting my eyes.

#15 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

^^^Amen to that one.

I've got a bit of a headache from looking at this skin and it's the eyes issue too.  Makes me a bit cranky.

I had the same problem in the Shoutbox earlier as SFG. I tried to edit and just gave up.  Did the same thing that SFG said.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#16 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Well found how to do my photo since i'd been using one on the site, a site own gallery
photo, which of course R gonzo eh
;)
so went out pub web N found setch as ah cN live with yeah
;)
oh and, there is a forum jump list if aNy not found that yet, at right below the search box there is
View new content and to right is a Spyglass, hit that N choose Forums under community, then
hit Ur choice forum,
;)

Now, off to try editing in the shout
;)
so yeah cN edit the shouts, using an ole fox, the 3.6.26 b/c afraid the fox 12 n 13 wont work on me ole sys as well as fox N all say it will, so much they gave up support of any/all! prev versions, new one every month it seems and give up all support, hey whole worl jus jump to our new thing! yeah scowl/snerk

Edited by offworlder, 24 July 2012 - 09:13 PM.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#17 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

View Postoffworlder, on 24 July 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

oh and, there is a forum jump list if aNy not found that yet, at right below the search box there is
View new content and to right is a Spyglass, hit that N choose Forums under community, then
hit Ur choice forum,
;)

I see it!  It's called "Quick Navigation" now! :cool:

Now, off to try editing in the shout
;)

I'm starting to get used to the shout editing: the first line shows you what it is changing from, you only change the second line.  It's still iffy, but that helps.  ;)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#18 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostAnakam, on 24 July 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

edit: I've had this icon for ages and ages, but I believe that it's stored in a gallery somewhere.  Also, it's animated, and has been for years, until today (or I guess since the last time I logged in and posted).  I suppose it could be worse and it could be grabbing the frame with someone's finger on a keyboard, which would confuse all but about three people, but are animated icons illegal with this version of the board?

Your avatar is still animated on your profile page.  :shrug:

View PostRommieSG, on 23 July 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

I can only assume that avatar size will be addressed very soon. To go back to 100x100 is pathetic.

I was wondering the same thing!  I think right now it's showing at 90x90.  Didn't it use to be 150x150 or bigger?

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#19 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 24 July 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

View PostAnakam, on 24 July 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

Your avatar is still animated on your profile page.  :shrug:

You're right, it is.  I hadn't even checked there.  That also confirms something else I'd noticed but just thought was my memory going--the icon displaying for me in threads is 'padded' by several pixels.  

Minor issue of course, but quite bizarre!  I suppose that if our icons are displayed with 'last post by' on the main forum page, that animation would cause issues, but the extra black space is just weird.

Soooo confused.

P.S.  Rory!!!  Rory = awesome

ETA: Tags.  It would be great to sort through posts by tag, but as it stands it doesn't seem to be a useable feature?

Edited by Anakam, 25 July 2012 - 12:01 AM.

Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#20 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

Nonny: I don't know about the whole gallery, but I have found your avatar!  :D

I do have the file itself, and could upload it, but I also have the URL to it's location, and it's still there.  This implies that all the gallery images still exist on the server somewhere, waiting to be found.  :)

Here is the link:

Find the settings for adding an avatar, and paste that address where it asks for a URL.  Then you should be all set!  :D  (I hope. ;) )

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 25 July 2012 - 12:02 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users