Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Olympics 2012

Olympics 2012 Olympics gymnastics track and field basketball sports London

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,295 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hey! Thought it might be worth it to have a thread for the Olympics! Anyone watching? Which sports?

I like gymnastics, all of the races, and will be watching basketball with my son.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

Did anyone see the opening ceremony? I thought it was fantastic :D :D But then I would do ;)

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,295 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

:)  I liked especially the torch ceremony - I kept waiting for the big reveal of who would light the torch - but I thought it was a nice touch to have the famed Olympians choose their symbolic successors to light the torch for the next generation. :)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

I hear that this bit was missed out of the US showing - perhaps the most moving part of the whole thing:

http://deadspin.com/...want-you-to-see

At 5:25 I always get a bit :cry:

Sparky

#5 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Btw - in case anyone was wondering, the bit with the Queen and James Bond was all genuinely Her Maj - except the jumping out of the helicopter bit of course :lol:

Rowan Atkinson's part was probably my favourite bit...

Sparky

#6 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

I loved hearing the TARDIS during the music montage. :cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on 28 July 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

Btw - in case anyone was wondering, the bit with the Queen and James Bond was all genuinely Her Maj - except the jumping out of the helicopter bit of course :lol:
I heard a spoiler on the radio driving to a BBQ yesterday, so when someone said, isn't that James Bond, I said, we gotta watch this part!  So we all did.   :D

She's a good sport.    :howling:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,800 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

I thought the Queen was such a good sport.  The ceremony was wonderful, and I for one enjoyed the history lesson.  But ten I'm something of an anglophile.  

I'm watching men's swimming preliminary rounds now.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#9 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

http://sports.nation...rd-at-olympics/

London 2012: Steps toward gender equality, steps backward at Olympics

...And despite the heavily promoted steps toward equality this month in London, there have been several steps backward. In two now infamous instances, those steps manifested physically, with women walking past male counterparts and back into economy class on their airplane.

Japan flew its men’s soccer team to Europe in first class, while its women’s team — the defending World Cup champion women’s team — travelled in coach. The rationale given was that the men’s team, an under-23 group, was comprised of professional players.
The story was repeated in Australia, where the men’s basketball team flew first class to Europe while the women flew coach.
The Australian men have never won an Olympic medal, while the women have won silver in each of the last three Summer Games.
“It’s been a bit of a sore spot, especially since the women are much more successful,” former women’s captain Robyn Maher told The Sydney Morning Herald. “I’m yet to find a nice answer for it other than they’re male and we’re female. You’d hate that that’s the reason, but I’m sure it is.”
The explanation there was, in part, based on the idea the men needed more space than the women. That is not entirely true, though. Women’s player Liz Cambage, for example, is both taller (6-foot-8) and heavier (216 pounds) than men’s player Patrick Mills (5-foot-11, 187 pounds).
“Referring to the airplane class issue is an important way to highlight how pervasive these discriminatory attitudes in the whole Olympic structure really are,” Lahey said.
Badminton officials considered forcing female players to wear skirts in London, before backing away from the idea. The same idea wafted through boxing, before international attention helped to push it off the table....
Same old crap.   :mad:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#10 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

I am watching as much as possible - this weekend I saw some sailing, swimming, judo, beach volleyball, cycling...

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#11 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

yeah i know i NEver sign into here at work, but hey jus Had to,

(can we say quick coffee break??)

I say, NIke is right!

http://sports.yahoo....13669--oly.html

poo poo on the grey?
Hey! what is the first thing, and 2nd, you see in this photo? their faces! and: the gold medals,
so putting them in the electric grey works!
I say,
G'd'on ya!

G' day

oh, and,
go guys, in the individ gym stuff, and those individ, all round, girls too
:bowdown:
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_1733361.html

Women's Eight Rowing Team Wins Gold: Huffington Post Blogger Esther Lofgren Wins Her First Medal

This morning in Windsor, England, the United States' women's eight rowing team held off Canada to win the gold medal by a half-length. The victory helped the Americans successfully defend the Olympic title they won in Beijing in 2008.
We were particularly thrilled with the result as Huffington Post blogger Esther Lofgren represented the United States in the race. Last night, Lofgren wrote a blog about her excitement and anticipation:

http://www.huffingto..._b_1729091.html

:happy:
Posted Image

#13 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

great to see the Brits up on the table count list,
just got 10th gold, with four man rowers(coxless)
http://www1.skysport...y/21757/7961786

and now have 25 medals
(and Brits got two cycling golds)

great to see Phelps go from an almost ran to a major player in these,
with his 17 gold and 21 medals capping a huge career, not go out with a whimper.
Franklin! gold with a new world record

MUrray! in the gold medal match with Roger; my only problem with this as
'Olympic': it's the same Wimbledon place, same guys, same uniform, same same,
same Serena vs Sharapova, same look, same everything; to me Olympic is different,
diff place than you went before, up'd challenge, sparkly custom uniform like the
gymnasts, you know? like Special?

nice to see France up on that medal count with Germany who r always up there,
France with 8 golds and 21 medals

nice to see NZ in there with 3 gold and 7 medals

nice to see the sailing over there by Weymouth way, and that Brit Ainslie,
http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/18915692

Percy/simpson going for Star
http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/19121072

hey Canada, Game On, lets climb up eh?

(trying to do this with lil spoiler action, so hey flip over if you want to see bout Goodison)

REad bout Bolt going for 100m, made the semi

Pistorius of SA makes Oly history, amputee in the big(not special) show,
http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/18911479
Ruled not an advantage

I Found one o the BEST to help keep up with games when canna see it telly, is
SKYSport- their layout, dropdowns, links, lists, menus, colours, FABBY-
w/ results expertly laid out right bar

http://www1.skysports.com/olympics/
including this live commentary,
http://www1.skysport...m/olympics/live
AND look at right bar lists of 'day 7', day 8 type things, stories galor

enjoy!
:cheers:

PS- USA Bball pushed by Lithuania after huge record win other day
http://www1.skysport...y/15234/7962528
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#14 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

Pointless having it the same as Wimbledon! Olympics is supposed to be for non-professional players :headshake: Also, bit ridiculous calling ourselves "Team GB" :rolleyes: Um. We're Team UK, if we have to have a 'branding' name.

Meanwhile...the USA certainly does like swimming. ;)

Sparky

#15 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on 04 August 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

Pointless having it the same as Wimbledon! Olympics is supposed to be for non-professional players :headshake:
Sparky

Surely you jest.  The US sends professional basketball players - just not all from the same pro team, but I don't know why not.  I don't know when the rules got so relaxed but it hasn't been for amateurs in a long time.  More's the pity.
Cats will never be extinct!

#16 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:42 AM

^ Yep and it's the same across the board really, but what's the point in that? What's the point in re-doing Wimbledon, the various world cups etc??

It should be non-professionals. I don't want to see Andy Murray at the Olympics. That's not the spirit of the spirit of the games, imho. It also weighs the odds against some of the poorer countries who may be sending people who really ARE non-professional players.

Sparky

#17 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:40 AM

No USA bashing, please.  We were sending amateurs when the rest of the world was finding special ways to train and support their athletes in comfort and even luxury.  While I'd rather the playing field had evened in favor of amateurs, and not just amateurs wealthy enough to dabble in sports without casting a long shadow over their post-Olympics economic lives, it was never going to work out that way.

And don't get me started on Russian judges.
Posted Image

#18 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

No USA bashing, please.

Excuse me?????

Where on EARTH did I bash USA?

Andy Murray is British - and our best Tennis player. If he is in the Olympics we actually stand a chance in that category. But I'd rather see an amateur Brit tennis player. Wimbledon is also British.

No one's bashing the US. I'm just making a general comment!

Sparky

#19 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

unpopular opinion - but basketball, volleyball (beach or otherwise), tennis and TABLE tennis are NOT Olympic sports and it's pretty stupid that they are included in the Olympics.  these sports (minus maybe table tennis) already have pro venues and amateur venues year round--so they don't belong.  it disgusts me that the IOC allowed them to be included in the first place.  :headshake:

also belated q abt the opening ceremony--i thought in the Parade of Nations, the host nation went last?  yet when i looked at a photo gallery, the UK was in its usual spot.  did they change this?  :vulcan:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#20 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

also belated q abt the opening ceremony--i thought in the Parade of Nations, the host nation went last?  yet when i looked at a photo gallery, the UK was in its usual spot.  did they change this?

No... UK came last in the parade. (Bear in mind, our usual spot would be way up with the Gs as we compete as "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" rather than UK).

Sparky

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Olympics, 2012 Olympics, gymnastics, track and field, basketball, sports, London

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users