Guild Wars 2

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Oh my GOD! Super Adventure Box is aMAZEing!
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#62 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

I tried it out briefly and was pretty amused by it. Good 8-bit music arrangements and fun battles (in that you actually have to use some strategy to dodge attacks). And of course, jump puzzles. Lots of jump puzzles.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#63 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:41 AM

View PostThia The Muse, on 01 April 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

Oh my GOD! Super Adventure Box is aMAZEing!
I know right?! :D

For those that may be reading and scratching their heads, Super Adventure Box is a new mini game event for April Fools. 8-bit platform jumping, weapons, and music. There are multiple worlds and zones, as well as special rewards that you can only get by participating. It's basically Zelda blended with Super Mario World and Guild Wars 2. You have to see it to believe it...

gw560.jpg
gw562.jpg
gw563.jpg
gw564.jpg
gw570.jpg
gw572.jpg

Edited by NeuralClone, 01 April 2013 - 02:44 AM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#64 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

I love that the "Princess" is just Moto in a wig. Also, Infantile Mode is adorably insulting.
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
Posted Image

#65 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

How did I not notice that before? That's hilarious! :lol: And I agree about Infantile Mode. It's so hilariously easy that it's both amusing and insulting!

Oh by the way, if you have plans to get the achievement title for this event (Distinction in Applied Jumping :lol: ), the Infantile Mode achievement doesn't count. I was quite annoyed to go through the first 3 zones to get that achievement and not have it count for anything.

#66 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

I've just gotta get all the baubles on Zone 2, and I have the title. Also, World 2 Zone 1 is BAWLS hard!
Posted Image

#67 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Oddly, I didn't have too many problems with 2-1. I found 1-3 to be far more irritating. And I hate crocodiles.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#68 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

This is really cool. On Monday ArenaNet started releasing APIs (application programming interface) for Guild Wars 2. Well, to be more accurate, they're releasing raw data that people can then build an API around. So far people have already started creating wrappers for Ruby, Objective-C, Java, and other languages.

https://forum-en.gui...I-Documentation

The implications of this are quite massive. You can immediately look up any item currently discovered in their database and retrieve all of the information about it. You can track dynamic events in real time across all of the servers. And this is really only the tip of the iceberg.

Someone has already updated their event timers to make use of the API, which means it's 100% accurate.

http://v2.gw2stuff.com/servers

I may write a PHP wrapper at some point if someone doesn't beat me to it.

#69 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

I finally got my Holographic Shattered Dragon Wings. So. Happy! :D

gw090.jpg

#70 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

^Those look pretty cool.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#71 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Thanks! :D I love them. They're also animated and flap around a bit. Some people seem to hate that animation but I think it's perfect. Now all I need is armor that glows and I'll be one happy guardian!

#72 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

I've been playing around with some build calculators recently to make it easier to pass my builds along to other players. I'm often asked for my guardian build and thought I might as well share it here as well.

http://tinyurl.com/nnd9wwc (redirects to gw2buildcraft.com)

Note that the build shown above doesn't actually take the recent skill/trait changes into account. So the Mace of Justice trait, for example, actually gives an addition 250 healing power now. Pure of Heart now heals for a base amount plus 25% of your healing power, meaning it's also been buffed.

The main idea behind this build is to support your party and survive. You won't be doing tons of damage with this setup. It's largely about defending party members and controlling the battlefield. If you play smartly, you should be able to keep enemies invested for quite some time before having to retreat. However, if you do have to retreat, Selfless Daring will heal you and nearby allies. The Superior Sigil of Energy on the shield will help give you more dodges, and therefore, more heals. Symbols heal allies as well and since you'll be using a mace and shield, you'll be able to grant yourself and allies protection fairly easily. You also heal when you lose aegis due to the Pure of Heart trait.

Almost everything you do triggers Altruistic Healing, which means you're almost constantly healing for a small amount. You have 3 stun breakers, the ability to rip conditions off of all of your nearby allies, grant stability/retaliation, and you can convert all of your conditions to boons. On top of that, if you use Shelter appropriately, you can avoid tons of damage and gain up to 25 stacks of might in a few seconds if you're under heavy fire. Virtue of Resolve also removes 3 conditions from you and nearby allies. Shouts also remove 1 condition each. Purity removes 1 condition every 10 seconds. Signet of Resolve can also be used in place of Shelter if you want yet another condition removed every 10 seconds. And best of all, it heals you almost to full in about 1 second. The downside is you lose the 2 second blocking capability of Shelter, which can actually end up blocking a LOT more than the 9000 or so health Signet of Resolve will get you when activated.

Both the mace and staff have a Superior Sigil of Life on them. If you get 25 kills, this gives you a boost of 250 to healing power. This build relies on that a fair amount but those stacks of Life aren't absolutely necessary to be effective due to how poorly healing power scales. The differences between 700 healing power and 1000 healing power are so minimal in most cases that I've found that investing more in toughness and precision to be a better use of points.

The utilities I've selected should definitely be swapped out to fit a given fight or situation. The same goes for Retaliatory Subconscious and Pure of Heart. I tend to change the former to Master of Consecrations when I need a longer Wall of Reflection. I also sometimes change Pure of Heart to Writ of Exaltation to make healing with symbols a bit easier.

Edited by NeuralClone, 27 June 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#73 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

So, um, Zedd has a monocle now. All he needs next is a small, pointed goatee!

gw136.jpg

#74 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

The current Living Story update, "Escape from Lion's Arch," is pretty frakking awesome. ArenaNet has turned Lion's Arch into a massive war zone. This is significant for numerous lore-related reasons but as far as gameplay goes it's pretty major. Lion's Arch has always been the big hub city in the game. Now it's burning down.

Meanwhile, Scarlet is drilling towards something buried underneath LA. It seems likely this is all connected to one of the Elder Dragons.

Edited by NeuralClone, 19 February 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#75 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Yeah, I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand the event is awesome, it really feels like war - and hearing the scream of npcs is chiling. On the other hand though...I miss LA.
Posted Image

#76 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

LA will be back at some point. :) It isn't like they've wiped it off the map. Well, not yet anyway. I suppose it might still suffer even more damage in the last living story update. But I doubt that's what ArenaNet means by saying that Tyria will be changed forever. So it seems likely that something else will be happening that's even bigger. At least I hope so after so many months of build-up and very little follow through...

Also, Hikari can haz glowing bewbs nao.

gw520.jpg

But...this is still her normal look:
gw523.jpg

Edited by NeuralClone, 21 February 2014 - 10:56 PM.

#77 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

Ah, is that the Zodiac armor? Niiiiice. I've been playing GW2 like mad recently, since we got an influx of new members into the guild. Plus, it allows to to go on and on about the lore to a whole new set of ears!
Posted Image

#78 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

Yep! That's zodiac armor (minus the fugly helm) all right! :D The biggest issue I have with it is I've only applied it to exotic armor for the time being since I really can't afford a second set of ascended armor at this point. Plus I'm not sure it's really worth having a second ascended set just for a skin. I also really like human tier 3 heavy armor. So I have trouble switching to anything else simply because I love its look so much. If you add in the agony resistance that set gives me, it makes it even more difficult.

#79 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

Whew boy! That ending, amirite?
Posted Image

#80 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

The ending was ok. The boss fights are a bit too zergish for my tastes. It's yet more stacking and spamming skills. I love GW2 but I'm really getting annoyed with the way the encounters are designed to have large groups of people stack in one location, spam their attacks for 10-15 minutes, and then win or lose based on the overall DPS. It feels like it's just a massive DPS check. ArenaNet did improve the fights with the knights some by forcing groups of 50 to fight at each one but it's still largely a stack-and-spam-auto-attack fest.

As for the story, I'm glad they're heading in the direction they're heading in. It seems very likely we'll be seeing an actual expansion pack (or expansion pack-like content) in the future. I do wish they could have fleshed Scarlet and her motivations out a bit more. The story seemed to raise more questions than it answered. I hope that whatever they do next is executed better overall.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users