TV

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,037 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

My wife and I bought a house about 18 months ago. This house has a fireplace, with a TV mount built into the stone above the mantel. I've never used this kind of wall-mount TV before, and so far we've been watching TV elsewhere in the house. But we're getting ready to put a TV in that room, and I really don't know what I'm supposed to do with that thing! It looks somewhat similar to this:
http://www.amazon.co...v mounting arms

But without the mounting arms. All I have is a flat piece of metal on the wall. So I think that means that the previous owners took half the mounting bracket with them, attached to their TV, when they left. If I'm right, I need a) arms that will mate with this wall bracket, and b) a TV that will mate with the arms. B) sounds pretty easy, VESA standards and all. But A), I'm not so sure about.

Like I say, I've never been here before. does anyone have any insight into just how screwed I am? :)

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,870 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

Though the actual VESA standards are ridiculously highly guarded (and expensive to buy, for licensing reasons), the screws are standard M5 and the spacing is simple, as described in this Creator's Corner thread.

I STRONGLY suggest wood. It's plenty strong enough, and about a hundred times easier to work with than plate metal. At the very most, I might add a few metal bits (e.g. T-nuts; sheet metal at contact points)

However the price of mounts has fallen so much since 2009 that you might just want to take the plate out and put in your own set. Ideally, you'd want to reuse the existing masonry holes. Measure their spacing, there's an excellent chance that they are on 16" centers for installation on stud walls, and hence compatible with 95%+ of today's brackets. If in doubt, search Amazon for VESA mounts with PDFs of the manual. the Manual often includes drill templates that will show you if your existing holes will work.

If the plate has the OEM stamped on it (probably on the back - grrrrr) call them about replacement arms

#3 Omega

Omega

• 4,037 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Well, it appears that the mount I have was A) sold at Circuit City, and B) recalled due to safety issues. Think I'll be buying a new one!

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,870 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

Aw, I thought you were more adventurous than that!

Would it help if we peer-pressured you with chants of O-Meg-Ah! O-Meg-Ah! O-Meg-Ah!...

#5 Omega

Omega

• 4,037 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

I'd really rather not come home and find my wife crushed under a TV. But I'll take a rain check on that chant!

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

I could recommend my Stabilibar, which we discussed here http://www.exisle.ne...miliar-with-it/ but I would also recommend a Bush Furniture stand.  Together, they make an excellent system.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 amarsarin

amarsarin
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

TV wall mounts     
Its verry durable and long life . If you want to plan or you have a lcd or plasma screen or you want to hang it on wall then here is a nice product for you that give a perfect position to your lcd or plasma screen.

Edited by amarsarin, 01 November 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#8 amarsarin

amarsarin
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

bathroom TV

RAYSGEM is the best bathroom television brand. Professionally designed for all harsh environments and frequently used in bathrooms, kitchens, and outdoor environments, RAYSGEM provide more customized products and service for the Elite and the Few.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users