10 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

In the shoutbox:

@  Mark: Was reading about Walgreens Ready Response Medical Alert System on their website, and here is a quote from one of their features..."Walgreens Ready Response™ Medical Alert System cannot be accclassentally shut off by improper handling, or tampering." I think  accclassentally should be our word of the day.

@  Sci-Fi Girl: Likes are visible again!  Yay!  :clap:
@  Sci-Fi Girl: Small things make me happy.  :hehe:

@  RJDiogenes: They were accclassentally shut off, but onnnpurplessly turned back on.

:hehe:
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Mark: Yeah, it was no accclassent. I guess we really shouldn't expect too much evidence of edumucation from our drug dealers, right? :nod:

Edited by Mark, 29 August 2012 - 11:04 AM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

I'm so glad you nominated this for Memorable Moments!

I'd been thinking it deserved to be here, but I post too many of the MMs.

I also liked the follow-up:

a1.jpg

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Heh. I'm glad I noticed this.  Thanks, Sci-Fi Girl.   I like this MM Forum.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

*Nostalgia*

Who else remembers the auto-edit at Gordon's old board?  There was a very zealous auto-censor there, and it didn't just put in asterisks, it changed entire words.  The result was hilarity, confusion, frustration, and the creation of brand new words (like above).  It did so in some very strange and unexpected ways too, and managed to make completely innocent text sound dirty instead!  :rolleyes:

For instance, it changed the word "cock" to "thingy", and we came across this more often than you might think.  For example, someone's signature contained the classic quote:

I have faith in nothing but this - when the universe collapses and dies, there will be three survivors - Tyr Anasazi, the cockroaches, and Dylan Hunt trying to save the cockroaches.

But because of the wacky board edit, it instead appeared as:

Tyr Anasazi, the thingyroaches, and Dylan Hunt trying to save the thingyroaches.

:facepalm-f7e:  

Several new members even asked "what are thingyroaches?!?"  :rolleyes:

And it also changed "pussy" to "girl thingy".  Thus, a discussion of cocker spaniels and pussycats, became "thingyer spaniels, and girl thingycats".  Which just sounds ridiculous.

Fan-fic writers hated it, just try writing fan-fiction without using the word "cockpit"!  Thingypit?!? :rolleyes:

It didn't warn us before changing our posts.  The post preview would look normal, and it would only change it once we had actually posted.  Sometimes, people didn't even notice when it changed what they wrote, and we never knew what it was going to do next.

One day, someone wrote a post that seemed to make no sense.  She didn't realize what had happened until several people asked what she meant!  Here's what happened:

Her post contained the word "disagreeumptions", and people started asking what on earth "disagreeumptions" meant?!?  She was as baffled as the rest of us, as she had written no such word!  It turned out that the board had changed the phrase "my ass" to "I disagree".  Can you tell what she had originally written?  She wrote "My assumption ... " and it became "I disagreeumption"!  :howling: :howling: :howling:

And so our new word of the month was I disagreeumptions!  :lol:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

We had some fun with autocorrect one April Fools, but it upset a few people.

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

Wow.  :lol:  That is pretty amazing.  I don't want to make any snap judgments about Gordon, but....

"Thingy?"   :blink:  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Oh don't judge Gordon because of that!  :lol:  We were a small friendly board, and that quirk just became one of our in-jokes.  :lol:

I loved it there.  It was the first board I ever joined, and for years it was the only one I posted at.

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

I know what you mean about small, friendly boards. I used to hang out at KellyzKorner for years before it had to close.  Now I have ReNext.  That's also why I like it here at EI.  You meet some very nice people at these places.  :nod:

#10 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

Being Gordon's top poster for many years, it was always a challenge to foil the auto censors. :whip:
My favorite was when, "b*tch," turned to, "not so agreeable female person."
Can't remember what it turned the name Dick to, but it wasn't thinky and it's was pretty nasty. :glare:

It wasn't Gordon's doing it at first, it was the moderator, the Angry Brat. After he left us to our own vices Gordon must have thought it made sense to use the auto censor.
I would not put it past him to tinker with it. Man has a great sense of humor.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

^ A freaking genius!  ;) :harper:

SFG :hehe:

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 25 September 2012 - 01:29 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users