Bush 9/11

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

I'm not posting this to re-open any Bush bashing.  I think it's important to look at events in an historical context.  This editorial is really interesting, because if true, it shows that Iraq was a top priority even before the attack, and in an odd way also illustrates an administration that was determined to go to Iraq.

http://www.nytimes.c...nings.html?_r=1

The direct warnings to Mr. Bush about the possibility of a Qaeda attack began in the spring of 2001. By May 1, the Central Intelligence Agency told the White House of a report that “a group presently in the United States” was planning a terrorist operation. Weeks later, on June 22, the daily brief reported that Qaeda strikes could be “imminent,” although intelligence suggested the time frame was flexible.

But some in the administration considered the warning to be just bluster. An intelligence official and a member of the Bush administration both told me in interviews that the neoconservative leaders who had recently assumed power at the Pentagon were warning the White House that the C.I.A. had been fooled; according to this theory, Bin Laden was merely pretending to be planning an attack to distract the administration from Saddam Hussein, whom the neoconservatives saw as a greater threat. Intelligence officials, these sources said, protested that the idea of Bin Laden, an Islamic fundamentalist, conspiring with Mr. Hussein, an Iraqi secularist, was ridiculous, but the neoconservatives’ suspicions were nevertheless carrying the day.

In response, the C.I.A. prepared an analysis that all but pleaded with the White House to accept that the danger from Bin Laden was real.

Edited by Rhea, 12 September 2012 - 12:23 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

I have always felt that President Bush planned from the git to go after Saddam and oust him, 911 gave him the opportunity to imply over and over and over again that Iraq was involved. I say implied because he would string them in with the 911 attack in speech after speech without directly acusing them. It seemed very clear though that the intent was to justify going into Iraq. The rest is a sad day in history (many, many sad days actually). Sometimes a beleif can lead to tunnel vision and the notion that the actual evidence may not support the claim does nothing to detour the beleif. Little wonder you didn't see anyone from the Bush administration speaking at the convention except Condi Rice.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

To add interest about Bush's actions,post 9/11:

http://www.consortiu...011/050711.html

At nearly every turn, President George W. Bush acted – presumably with incompetence, not complicity – in ways that enabled bin Laden to remain free, and the terrorist leader repaid the favor by surfacing at key political moments to scare the American people back into Bush’s arms.

Although Bush talked tough about getting bin Laden “dead or alive,” he consistently failed to follow through. In November 2001, when bin Laden and his top lieutenants were cornered at the Tora Bora mountain range in eastern Afghanistan, Bush ordered the U.S. military to prematurely pivot toward planning the next war with Iraq.
According to a later Senate Foreign Relations Committee (link at bottom), Bush’s order to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to freshen up the plans for an Iraq invasion literally pulled Gen. Tommy Franks, head of the Central Command, away from planning the assault on Tora Bora.

The White House also rebuffed CIA appeals for the dispatch of 1,000 Marines to cut off bin Laden’s escape routes, the report said. Denied the extra troops to catch bin Laden, U.S. Special Forces couldn’t nab the terrorist leader before he made his getaway to Pakistan. The hunt for bin Laden was soon put on the back burner. As the Washington Post reported on Friday, “A few months after Tora Bora, as part of the preparation for war in Iraq, the Bush administration pulled out many of the Special Operations and CIA forces that had been searching for bin Laden in Afghanistan, according to several U.S officials who served at the time.”

http://www.foreign.s...Bora_Report.pdf

I recommend the Senate Foreign Relations Report. It's fascinating.

It's fairly obvious that Bush was more preoccupied with Iraq than with Bin Laden even after 9/11.  Who knows what might have happened if, post 9/11, Bush had focused on capturing Bin Laden instead of worrying about Saddam Hussein? There would have been one war on one front and it might have been won at Tora Bora. So many lives might have been saved.

I supposed, as the old cliche goes, history will be the judge (especially since many of the related documents have not all been released).
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Watching from over 3000 miles away, the events of 9/11 seemed to me to be the latest version of Pearl Harbor - that the USA was suddenly and drastically reminded that they are not beyond the reach of demented maniacs and international murderers. I don't think you can safely point the finger at any one person / department for failing to prevent the loss of lives. It was the final act in a series of events that only became apparent once the final curtain (towers) fell on the play.
Hindsight is always 20/20. Accept it and move on?
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Well, if the report is true - it isn't true at all that we can't point the finger - apparently the agency tasked with warning about these things was desperately trying to get the attention of the nation's Commander-in-Chief, and failing.  Was the attack preventable? Maybe, maybe not.  But according to the article, two of the key conspirators were within the grasp of law enforcement, but without direction that said we should treat certain kinds of threats as more credible than others, they went through normal law enforcement, and got let go.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

The events of that terrible day continue to haunt us.  People we didn't know then tell us their stories every year as the date approaches.  My neighbor Jim, known to some of you through my pictures and tales of the antics of his little poodle, Leo, shared his with me a few days ago as we took our morning walk.  He was scheduled for the American flight out of Logan.  He and his traveling companion had been on a long cruise and were in Boston for a two day stopover.  They were tired, decided to head home early.  Many of the people they had enjoyed the cruise with were on the flight.  He shakes when he thinks about it.

As he told me this, Leo looked up and gave us a happy dog smile.  There is nothing like the unconditional love of a dog, is there?  Not for nothing are many dogs now designated therapy animals.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

I don't know how to avoid "Bush bashing" because anytime anyone has brought this stuff up it's Bush bashing.  Personally
I think that he is far to incompetent to be held responsible.  The Neo-Cons are responsible and some of them belong in
prison with DIck Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld.  I remember this stuff coming up even then.   The speeches that talked about
al Qaeda and Saddam as though they were interchangeable.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, 9/11

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users