68 replies to this topic

#61 Nureek

Nureek

Nureek of Squrlookal out of Hanunga by Rotut

• Islander
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 04:08 PM

Rhea, on Sep 10 2003, 03:40 PM, said:

Let me get this straight. You'd be amenable to working for free? Just for the hell of it? Because that's what you're proposing that both the industry and the artists do.
Again, I have no problem with them making money.  People do need to eat.  It's the excess.  I think I heard it only cost like a dollar (I want to say I heard 1 penny, but that just can't be)  to actully make a cd, then adding on the cost for the musician craft and skill, and then some for all the middlemen.  That should not come out to $18 dollars!  I would love it if anyone has the actully pricing/profit distubution for an average CD.

My view also comes from remebering in the early ninteys, maybe middle, when CD prices started to drop, as any new techonoloyg does as it get's more common.  Then in the late nintes, the prices sky rocketed up to where they were when they first came out (and has stayed there since).  I think I remeber (please tell me if I'm wrong) that the music intudustry themselves forced the prices upward.  

If anyone has any good sites on the history of CD priceing I would love to read it, my memory might be tainted.

#62 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 04:15 PM

HubcapDave, on Sep 9 2003, 07:04 PM, said:

.As most bands really don't make money off there albums,unless there a band like Metallica,and Linkin Park and both those bands were bands who built up a fan base through Tape and MP3 trading.

Um, Metallica did it the old fashioned way, through album sales, radio play, and making good music!

I'm kinda getting tired of the "big bad business" defense put up to justify this kind of behavior! You're going to have to come up with a more specific, a more detailed answer than "big fat suits, sitting on their asses" as to what's wrong with RIAA!
Actually, I think the point that BizzyD17 was trying to make is simply that very few artists turn an appreciable profit off of record sales, which is the truth except in the cases of well established artists that have the "clout" to demand a larger cut of the sales.

In the music industry, most bands make the lion's share of *their* profits from concerts and tours.

In fact, very few acts outside the Madonnas, Britneys and Metallicas will make more than $1 per $20-25 dollar CD.  Retail markup deducted, the Record companies are the ones who make the money on album sales.

So in reality, when it comes to music production, the suits really do sit on their asses, watch their robots grind out a few hundred thousand CDs at a production cost of maybe 2-3 bucks at most a disc, then watch their cheques roll in. ;)

#63 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 05:29 PM

Jid, on Sep 10 2003, 02:15 PM, said:

HubcapDave, on Sep 9 2003, 07:04 PM, said:

.As most bands really don't make money off there albums,unless there a band like Metallica,and Linkin Park and both those bands were bands who built up a fan base through Tape and MP3 trading.

Um, Metallica did it the old fashioned way, through album sales, radio play, and making good music!

I'm kinda getting tired of the "big bad business" defense put up to justify this kind of behavior! You're going to have to come up with a more specific, a more detailed answer than "big fat suits, sitting on their asses" as to what's wrong with RIAA!
Actually, I think the point that BizzyD17 was trying to make is simply that very few artists turn an appreciable profit off of record sales, which is the truth except in the cases of well established artists that have the "clout" to demand a larger cut of the sales.

In the music industry, most bands make the lion's share of *their* profits from concerts and tours.

In fact, very few acts outside the Madonnas, Britneys and Metallicas will make more than $1 per $20-25 dollar CD.  Retail markup deducted, the Record companies are the ones who make the money on album sales.

So in reality, when it comes to music production, the suits really do sit on their asses, watch their robots grind out a few hundred thousand CDs at a production cost of maybe 2-3 bucks at most a disc, then watch their cheques roll in. ;)
Weellllll, I'm sure the robots weren't cheap! ;)

And that wasn't his point, at least as far as how a "fan base" is built up.

Take Metallica for instance. They became quite famous when I was in high school. There were basically two ways you heard the music: 1) Radio Play. 2) Buy the Album.  You could also buy singles, I don't think Metallica released much of their work on 45s though!

Oh, to be sure there was some taping copies of albums, but nowhere near the level of today's file swapping. By and large, most the kids I knew bought their own albums.

#64 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 04:34 PM

Sorry if this has been asked already and I've missed it, but..

Am I safe in the UK/EU so far? I mean does this stretch over the atlantic yet?
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#65 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 04:36 PM

Ilphi, on Sep 11 2003, 04:34 PM, said:

Sorry if this has been asked already and I've missed it, but..

Am I safe in the UK/EU so far? I mean does this stretch over the atlantic yet?
If you are, could you please download the following songs for me . . . :wideeyed:

:angel:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#66 Aric

Aric

Ar1ARX

• Islander
  • 504 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 12:12 AM

Download to your heart's content, Ilphi.  The RIAA is an American organization, they have no authority to target people outside the US.  The laws are also very different, I doubt such lawsuits would work in many countries, including Canada.  As for the UK, unless the BPI (Britain's equivalent to the RIAA) decides to target individuals, which they have not, and have given no indication they will, you're fine.  There are a couple of countries in the EU that have targeted individuals, but not in the UK.

Aric

#67 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 12 September 2003 - 10:49 AM

Eclipse, on Sep 9 2003, 03:26 AM, said:

Keep in mind that selling used software is perfectly legal as long as the seller gets rid of every copy he has.

The above statement is dead wrong. While it sounds good, it's just an urban legend. You are only permitted to give the original software away and you cannot make any profit what so ever. Any profit from the sale is due the copyright holder. You don't buy the software, you only pay for the right to use the software. It doesn't belong to you in any way shape or form as evidenced by the statement below:

Uhhhhhhhhh-isn't GIVING away software ALSO illegal??  :suspect:

Suppose someone had a copy of Windows 2000 on disk, burned it and gave that copy to a friend-isn't that illegal, even though money hasn't changed hands? Doesn't Microsoft lose out on licensing fees?

:eh:

I always thought it was illegal to do that.

Edited by Vapor Trails, 12 September 2003 - 10:51 AM.

#68 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 11:11 AM

^

What's legal is giving away the original, not making a copy and giving the copy away.  (And not keeping a copy and giving the original away, either.)

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#69 psycaz

psycaz
  • Islander
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 07:42 PM

Someone in charge (read as government body) really needs to come out and make a RATIONAL stand on what is legal and what is illegal.

As others have posed prior:
Is it legal to download mp3s of songs you already own. Is it limited to cd versions or any media. This would be due to cd quality supposedly being so superior to what you can get from converting albums.

I have a ton of albums in my collection. I would like to have mp3 versions to make it easy to make my own mix cds as I chose, but I have never really felt sure if it ws legal to download or not. I am a US resident and aware of Fair Use. I just have no friggin idea as to what the DMCA has done to that notion besides kill it.

The music companies need to realize that they are their own worst nightmares. They need to wake up and put their collections online and available to purchase single songs at a reasonable price.

IF they doubt this, why not start with their stuff from the 30's, 40's or 50's at like a dime per pop. This would be a good starting point as sales for these eras should be low and most of the music isn't available in cd format. But they would need to have it at least 192 k from personal experience.

If you want to stop the illegal downloading, then give folks what they want - product at a descent price.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, Music, Downloading lawsuit

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users