5 replies to this topic

#1 SparkyCola

SparkyCola

Bye

• Islander
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

Reuters

(Reuters) - France confirmed on Friday it would allow no street protests against cartoons denigrating Islam's Prophet Mohammad that were published by a French magazine this week.

Interior Minister Manuel Valls said prefects throughout the country had orders to prohibit any protest over the issue and to crack down if the ban was challenged.

"There will be strictly no exceptions. Demonstrations will be banned and broken up," he told a news conference in the southern port city of Marseille.

The main body representing Muslims in France appealed for calm as the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo put a new print run of the cartoons featuring a naked Mohammad on the newsstands.
The drawings have stoked a furore over an anti-Islam film made in California that has provoked sometimes violent protests in several Muslim countries, including attacks on U.S. and other Western embassies, the killing of the U.S. envoy to Libya and a suicide bombing in Afghanistan.

France - you still have the power to surprise me!

This is pretty ... decisive.

Marine Le Pen, leader of the far-right National Front, called in Le Monde for a ban on the Muslim veil and the Jewish kippa headgear.
When Valls, the Interior Minister, confirmed the ban on protests over the cartoons, he also said: "Neither will I allow street prayers, which have no place in this republic. And naturally the law will apply to anyone who wears the full face veil."
France has banned women from wearing full face veils in public.

France is probably the most secular country I know (in policies- it actually has the largest population of Muslims and Jews in Europe) - and in many ways I respect them for that. On the other hand... are they starting to go too far?

This is not just about the right to religious freedom - this is surely about the right to protest about WHATEVER you believe in? Surely a right to peaceful assembly is fundamental to both the EU and UN - and by not allowing these protests, France are in breach of both the UN declaration of human rights, and the EU equivalent of same?

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#2 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

They must first credibly dismantle the "no go zones."

http://technorati.co...or-non-muslims/

Public gathering to peacefully protest are something we probably all think of as an essential liberty.
Whether it is OWS or WTO protesters, or Muslims blocking public sidewalks for a pray-in, there are legitimate concerns for public safety, and unfettered access.
It is a matter of rights in conflict.
Thorny issue.

> Even more shocking.

http://news.yahoo.co...-180648937.html

This is a good sign!
The birthplace of the Arab Spring bans similar protests!

Tunisia's government has banned any protests Friday against a French satirical weekly's publication of lewd, crude caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

Edited by DarthMarley, 21 September 2012 - 11:31 AM.

"It is not who is right, but what is right that is of importance."

#3 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

I'm not one for banning assembly, but some of these are far more than assembly, and yes safety trumps liberties in some cases, so I can make a safety exception to the liberty assembly thing; even in U.S. public safety often trumps, if an assembly event can do a staff thing, safety staff security, work together with police, keep street non violent and public safe, then, then assemble and speak- but over seas its often different , the whole point is to rile up, and even when violence is not per se urged, it is hinted, or just nothing said about prevent, and then a smoke bomb, then Molotov, then dagger, then auto gun, then, then,- so France is right
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#4 SparkyCola

SparkyCola

Bye

• Islander
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

^ Well, I agree that safety validly trumps the right to assembly- and indeed does in both the UDHR and EU version I believe. There's a clause relating to the fact that the law and regard for safety is more important.

But to ban it outright ? That gives no opportunity for valid, peaceful protest and that I think is not right.

#5 SparkyCola

SparkyCola

Bye

• Islander
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

Darth - the Technorati itselfeven admits that that article was poor, untruthful journalism.

Imagine my surprise when I glanced through our own Technorati this week and found the headline "No-Go Zones for Non-Muslims Multiplying All Over Europe" by Claire Reitz. Apparently, "many" neighborhoods in London are being taken over by Muslims, and non-Muslims are being pushed out. Not only is Sharia Law being enacted, but the local emergency services are forbidden to enter such areas. There are even signs being put up all over London, warning non-Muslims that they are unwelcome in ancient boroughs like Tower Hamlets. Being that the author was in LA, and I was sitting in my home in London, I was slightly suspicious of her journalistic integrity.

This is a good sign!
The birthplace of the Arab Spring bans similar protests!

Regarding Tunisia doing the same thing as France- that is pretty amazing - and I agree that it's a good sign.

Sparky

#6 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

Fair enough of a rebuttal.

However,I have seen video of people, occasionally women, walking through  I believe a Malmo neighborhood, and being harassed by the local popluation.
And I clearly recall what the EU press euphemistically called "youth violence" which was oddly enough exclusively riots in muslim "no go" zones a few years back. There is plenty of video for that.

http://www.danielpip...zones-of-france

The above article also lists some items for the UK, but is quite old.

So, while I am persuadable on the point, I don't see one article which interviews a London Muslim to be a dismissal of the claims for France, or even for London.
I encourage you to find additional information which contradicts me, and maybe I can know better.
http://sig.ville.gouv.fr/Atlas/ZUS/

Apologist may claim this is merely related to povery, public housing, and drug related crime.
Undoubtedly there are elements of truth to that.

Edited by DarthMarley, 21 September 2012 - 08:10 PM.

"It is not who is right, but what is right that is of importance."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: france, protests, mohammed cartoons, islam, freedom of assembly

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users