Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Libya was “an act of terror”? B-but you said...

Benghazi Attack Terrorism Obama 2012

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

View Postscherzo, on 23 September 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

And yet...I correctly predicted he'd be brought up to absolve 0bama of ANY wrongdoing.

{speaking as a member here]

You clearly indicated where you wanted the discussion to go in the OP, and it did.  You are the one that first mentioned Bush, and you are the one who issued the challenge.  I'd hardly call that a "prediction".

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#22 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

The Marines should've had live ammo, but it's hard to blame the attack on Obama.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#23 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

View PostCait, on 23 September 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

And yet...I correctly predicted he'd be brought up to absolve 0bama of ANY wrongdoing.

You clearly indicated where you wanted the discussion to go in the OP, and it did.
No I didn't.  A more careful reading would tell you where I hoped it wouldn't go however.

You are the one that first mentioned Bush, and you are the one who issued the challenge.  I'd hardly call that a "prediction".
And of course you're in a much better position to know what I meant than I am right?
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#24 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

View Postscherzo, on 23 September 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

You clearly indicated where you wanted the discussion to go in the OP, and it did.
No I didn't.  A more careful reading would tell you where I hoped it wouldn't go however.

Sure, saying

(cue the Pavlovian attack on Bush in 3...2...1...)

..was really a hope that no one would mention or attack Bush.  I can see that now.

You are the one that first mentioned Bush, and you are the one who issued the challenge.  I'd hardly call that a "prediction".
And of course you're in a much better position to know what I meant than I am right?

I would never presume to tell you what you meant.  I only stated that I'd hardly call your remarks a prediction.

Source:

#25 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostCait, on 23 September 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

View Postscherzo, on 23 September 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

Sure, saying

(cue the Pavlovian attack on Bush in 3...2...1...)

..was really a hope that no one would mention or attack Bush.  I can see that now.
Well a TRUE exercise in reverse psychology would have meant saying "now post something bad about Bush to absolve 0bama's fail". In this case I thought implying the predictable and wholly reflexive nature of such a response...would encourage more thoughtful and relevant excuses for 0bama's fail. All the Bush trashing would have occurred whether I'd mentioned his name or not, because the subject is 0bama's fail.

Virtually ALL criticism of 0bama is countered with variations on that theme, so it's not like I'm psychic or anything. Did I neglect to mention 0bama's fail? :(
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#26 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

View Postscherzo, on 23 September 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

Virtually ALL criticism of 0bama is countered with variations on that theme, so it's not like I'm psychic or anything.

Whatever you say scherzo.  ALL criticisms are countered with variations of the theme, and no you are not psychic.

Source:

#27 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

View Postscherzo, on 23 September 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Meanwhile, the important part remains the murder of an ambassador and staff, and not the need of the President's political opponents to turn tragedy into opportunity.
:lol: Yeah let's pretend this administration's incompetence didn't contribute to their deaths...and ignore their embarrassing attempts to blame everyone and everything but themselves for the incident.

Good luck getting non-leftists to go along with the gag.

I did not make a big deal of this, but I lost a friend in that attack.  It is no gag to me, it is no gag to my non-leftist friend who leads our group, and it is no gag to our friends and members who span the political spectrum.

And now, finally, I'm going to go cry for my murdered friend and his colleagues.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#28 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Nonny}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I'm so sorry about your friend (just in case I didn;t say so before). It's frustrating for people to be arguing generalities while your friend is being mourned and the issues are real to you and not some abstract argument.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#29 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Thanks, Rhea.  He was truly one of the good guys, and will be missed.

{{{{{{{Rhea}}}}}}}
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#30 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostRhea, on 24 September 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Nonny}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I'm so sorry about your friend (just in case I didn;t say so before). It's frustrating for people to be arguing generalities while your friend is being mourned and the issues are real to you and not some abstract argument.
What exactly is "abstract" about a brutally murdered American ambassador, and the ongoing effort to deflect criticism for the enormous errors that left him vulnerable? I submit that serious attention to the foreign policy failures of this administration, is essentially to preserving the lives of future potential victims of our enemies. I resent the implication that my attention to this subject is cavalier or callous. Fact is, if I didn't give a damn about American lives, I'd completely ignore 0bama's moronic Middle East policy, and recommend further apologies to Islamic radicals.
Posted Image

#31 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

What exactly is "abstract" about a brutally murdered American ambassador, and the ongoing effort to deflect criticism for the enormous errors that left him vulnerable? I submit that serious attention to the foreign policy failures of this administration, is essentially to preserving the lives of future potential victims of our enemies. I resent the implication that my attention to this subject is cavalier or callous. Fact is, if I didn't give a damn about American lives, I'd completely ignore 0bama's moronic Middle East policy, and recommend further apologies to Islamic radicals.

Abstract as in that Nonny knew one of them personally, for her it's not a political policy push me/pull me as it is for folks on both sides of the aisle who argue during a Presidential election cycle about who is awesome, awful etc...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

I sure would not expect Barack to be an expert in Middle East policy, but I don't see us as moronic in there either; and I sure would not expect any Republican president or candidate has been an expert with a wonderful middle east policy either; and I sure would never in a million years expect Mitt or anyone with his background to be better for it either; and apologize? I never saw Barack apologize to extremists or any other ones active against the United States; and I sure would never trust Mitt or any other Republican, what Ryan?! oh c'mon, running for it or veep to be prepared for things like Cairo or Tripoli either; and hey the right wingers friend Mubarek is out and the tyrants the Republicans trusted are on the wane and I don't see specific plans from them on how to make a better future for us over there either; I say McCain might be the best R for the foreign affairs stuff just from his experience, but I don't see him running or elected for it. And I do wonder if Barack is so incompetent with it all, just who, Mitt? Ryan? who is so competent for it all; yes I do remember what the overseas PMs said about impressions of US with ole Doubya; and I was in the forefront saying that all had to change. ............. The Mooslems overseas have problems with a lot of US presence over there, not with Barack; he is not the problem or issue; us all over there in their faces is the problem and the issue; and that is not a Dem vs. Rep thing, they all running for office just try to spin everyone that it is the thing.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#33 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostLin731, on 25 September 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

Abstract as in that Nonny knew one of them personally, for her it's not a political policy push me/pull me as it is for folks on both sides of the aisle who argue during a Presidential election cycle about who is awesome, awful etc...
I'd say her "politics" on this issue were made very clear, even before the revelation of personal tragedy. I operate from the premise that the vast majority of Americans are saddened by the deaths of fellow citizens overseas, and disgusted by the actions of Islamic terrorists. Which is why I reject the implication that anyone who doesn't personally KNOW one of the victims, is unable to grasp how "real" it all is.
Posted Image

#34 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

The Mooslems overseas have problems with a lot of US presence over there, not with Barack; he is not the problem or issue; us all over there in their faces is the problem and the issue;
So America's the problem then.(although remarkably Barack has not contributed to the anger)

Nothing to do with religion at all in fact.

Can't argue with that.

Seriously...I can't argue with this.
Posted Image

#35 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

View Postscherzo, on 25 September 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

The Mooslems overseas have problems with a lot of US presence over there, not with Barack; he is not the problem or issue; us all over there in their faces is the problem and the issue;
So America's the problem then.(although remarkably Barack has not contributed to the anger)

Nothing to do with religion at all in fact.

Can't argue with that.

Seriously...I can't argue with this.

No where in the post you quoted was America blamed and pretending that we (the US) isn't a part of the problem is foolish, IMO.
And now I'll make a prediction, somehow you'll find fault with my opinion and find a way to ridicule me for it.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#36 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

No where in the post you quoted was America blamed and pretending that we (the US) isn't a part of the problem is foolish, IMO.

I could understand people thinking the US has a responsibility if we were talking about Pakistan here, due to the drone attacks which are killing civilians and generating resentment.

However - I don't really see how the USA is to blame for Libya's actions here. Could you clarify that? I may be missing some relevant info.

I also don't get why Obama is to blame. It was a terrorist attack by a fringe group.

As for the role of Islam in all this: to me the religious dogma of the middle east is a symptom of a lack of education. Imo a good way forward for the Arab world would be to increase the level of literacy and eduaction - then there would be less reliance on religion, and people would be able to critically evaluate what they are being told.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#37 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

View Postscherzo, on 25 September 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

View PostLin731, on 25 September 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

I'd say her "politics" on this issue were made very clear, even before the revelation of personal tragedy. I operate from the premise that the vast majority of Americans are saddened by the deaths of fellow citizens overseas, and disgusted by the actions of Islamic terrorists. Which is why I reject the implication that anyone who doesn't personally KNOW one of the victims, is unable to grasp how "real" it all is.

No, I'd say clarification is needed.  Just what "politics" of mine are very clear, and how to they affect this issue?
Posted Image

#38 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on 26 September 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

I could understand people thinking the US has a responsibility if we were talking about Pakistan here, due to the drone attacks which are killing civilians and generating resentment.

However - I don't really see how the USA is to blame for Libya's actions here. Could you clarify that? I may be missing some relevant info.

I also don't get why Obama is to blame. It was a terrorist attack by a fringe group.

As for the role of Islam in all this: to me the religious dogma of the middle east is a symptom of a lack of education. Imo a good way forward for the Arab world would be to increase the level of literacy and eduaction - then there would be less reliance on religion, and people would be able to critically evaluate what they are being told.

Sparky

What I said was I didn't think that Offworlder was blaming the US he was just positing the standard US is to blame meme.  So, I'm not sure what the misunderstanding is.
A lot of countries, rightly or wrongly blame America for their troubles.  Sometimes we are at fault for some of it and other times we're a pretty safe way for people to complain, except when they start killing us.

There may be factions in Libya that blame America for something, I have no idea what that could be but it's not always clear why different countries hate us.  Hope that helps.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#39 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

What I said was I didn't think that Offworlder was blaming the US he was just positing the standard US is to blame meme.
I'll admit I have enormous trouble understanding offworlder's posts. But his dropping of the classic blame America first argument seemed plain as day. If he meant exactly the opposite or something, maybe he'll say so. Until then I really don't see the point in pretending we're reading something that isn't there.
Posted Image

#40 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

We're talking about people who will slaughter entire villages...if they suspect the proper religion isn't being practiced there.

I really wish sane people would stop looking for logic and reason in a strain of society that abhors such things. Last thing the world needs is civilized human beings giving ANY validity to absolute barbarism.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Benghazi Attack, Terrorism, Obama, 2012

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users