• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

This looks like an interesting, quirky new sitcom.  It seems like it wants to be a new "3rd rock from the sun", and while it's not quite that (those are some large shoes to fill ;) ), it does have some legs to stand on.

The premise is that a group of aliens come to live on earth, and buy up all the houses in a new housing development.  Thus, for 10 years they live in a community made up entirely of aliens, having very little contact with the humans around them.

Eventually, one alien couple decides to leave, resulting in a human family unwittingly moving into the vacated house, becoming the only humans to live in that community.  There are few illusions here, and they find out very quickly just who and what they will be dealing with every day.

It's a bit of a reversal, instead of a small number of aliens attempting to fit into our normal, we have one fairly ordinary human family who must adjust to life among many strange aliens.  And instead of spending time keeping who they are a secret, the aliens live in the open, exploring their differences.

The weirdness factor here is very high, and that's a good thing.  The show is full of the bizarre and absurd, so they have a lot to work with there.  And I thought the music choices for the show were refreshing as well.  We'll see if they can continue to go somewhere good with this premise.  :)

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

I lasted about five minutes. The reviews have been so vitriolic that part of me wanted to check out the show just to see if it's truly as bad as people seem to think it is.

It is.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Well, I thought it was weird enough to be interesting.  I saw potential, and it could get better or it could get a lot worse.  The premise may or may not hold up as a series, we'll see.

OTOH:  "The eyes are real" ... real what!?!  :blink:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

Yeah, SFG is the only person I've encountered to say anything good about it. I do love this sort of premise, ever since My Favorite Martian, so I may look in On Demand.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

I liked it enough. There were a few laugh out loud moments. I can definitely see why a lot of people would not like this. I mainly checked it out because of Jami Gertz and the alien angle. I'll give it a few episodes, if it survives that long anyways.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

Anyone still watching this? I thought the Halloween episode was the best one they've done so far. It was just so weird and hilarious. I loved that the aliens believed the trick 'r treaters were demons that were trying to eat them. And of course Reggie would go as the sexy nurse. Oh, and I loved the young alien going as Debbie with a Marty puppet. Tonight's episode with all of the aliens in heat was god as well but not as good.

Well, I thought it was weird enough to be interesting.  I saw potential, and it could get better or it could get a lot worse.  The premise may or may not hold up as a series, we'll see.

It has been getting better in my opinion but it's definitely some very strange out there humor that I'm guessing isn't for everyone. Like you I'm not sure if this premise can hold up as a series but I'm going to enjoy it for as long as it's on the air.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Not sure why but I missed the Halloween episode.

Did enjoy the one last night with the aliens' mating season.   Add in the discussing sex with your kids issue for the humans and it was enjoyable and relatable.

Loved Jami Gertz's line in the PSA at the end....as a parent who has had The Talk  I can tell you how true it is that the only thing scarier than having The Talk is finding how much your kids really do already know.( And hearing some of the nonsense that their friends have told them as far as preventing pregnancy).

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#8 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

My husband and I are enjoying this.  Good for a laugh or two or three.

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

Well, I stuck with it and the show got better as it went along. It's become one of my favorite sitcoms. I really enjoyed the season finale, especially since George Takei guest starred as Larry's father. Then of course Mark Hamill appeared as another alien and he and George Takei basically poked fun at each other's sci-fi series.

As Larry said in the episode, he needs another five or six seasons on Earth, and I agree. I would hate to see this show not get picked up for another season.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#10 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

I have to agree with Virgil Vox.

This show did get better and I've started looking forward to it each week.  I had little hope for it when I first heard about the premise but it turned out to be a surprise.

They've  spent the season  dealing with everyday challenges (racism, driving, romance) and somewhere along the line it became a quirky heartfelt show that just happened to have aliens as characters.   Not a fan of the overall dryness (?) of Amber but I'm cheering for her and Reggie as a couple.

Loved George Takei and would love to see him back now and then as Larry's father.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#11 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

This show did get better and I've started looking forward to it each week.  I had little hope for it when I first heard about the premise but it turned out to be a surprise.

I was the same way. It really turned around and became such a good show.

Loved George Takei and would love to see him back now and then as Larry's father.

Same here. He was really funny. Hopefully Mark Hamill will return as well. I am curious as to what kind of danger the Earth is in.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#12 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Another vote for the show.  I've enjoyed it every week.  I hope it returns.
Cats will never be extinct!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sitcom, Aliens

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users