Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

What current TV shows would you recommend?

recommendations tv reviews uk tv

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,582 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Sparky, do you like the "super-observant but eccentric detective" genre as a whole or does it depend upon how appealing the actor is? You might enjoy The Mentalist if you like Perception, although Simon Baker eventually does wear on the nerves, imo.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#42 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

The Mentalist has imo gone way down in quality.  They've been beating the same drum for 5 years.
Posted Image

#43 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

Sparky: apology accepted.
Posted Image

#44 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Sparky, do you like the "super-observant but eccentric detective" genre as a whole or does it depend upon how appealing the actor is? You might enjoy The Mentalist if you like Perception, although Simon Baker eventually does wear on the nerves, imo.

Depends on the actor, I think... I like the ones with vulnerability rather than the really (imo) smug ones. So, RDJ's Holmes yes-  Benedict Cumberbatch's, No. I have seen a bit of the Mentalist, but to me the main character isn't really flawed enough, he's just a bit on the smug side (for my tastes). Hope that makes sense...

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#45 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Have you seen Monk?  It ended a couple years ago, but there's 8 seasons of it.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#46 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,582 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Monk is certainly vulnerable!
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#47 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Nah, Monk doesn't do it for me...

It's possible that cuteness is a factor. Monk just isn't 'adorable' in the same way. [Just to clarify: I'm talking about the cuteness of the character, not the actor (though of course that helps too...) ... ]

I appreciate the effort though :D

Edited by SparkyCola, 04 October 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#48 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

^ Ah, that makes sense.  Good to know, I'll keep that in mind for other suggestions and descriptions.  My mind is still turning on this.

By current shows, do you mean only things that are still on the air, or just fairly recent?  I'm guessing you just mean recent stuff that you haven't seen yet.

I will come back with a list of titles, and you can say which ones you're not familiar with.  Then I can just describe the ones you haven't seen.  :)

SFG  :harper:
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#49 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

Sci-Fi Girl :love: :hugs: I've been using this thread in conjunction with IMDB's "You might also like..."

By current shows, do you mean only things that are still on the air, or just fairly recent?  I'm guessing you just mean recent stuff that you haven't seen yet.

Anything within the last 5-6 years that I haven't seen yet :look:

This is where I've got to on the latest shows:

Teen Wolf - not for me, but I get it's appeal.
Leverage - hm, kind of a poor man's Hustle, to my mind (no offence). If you like Leverage- definitely try Hustle :)
Person of Interest - So far so good though, I'll give it a couple more eps
The Good Wife - I can see why people like this. It's good - but the situation between Alicia and her husband isn't really grabbing me.
Breaking Bad - main character doesn't seem hugely charismatic ... it felt more like a film than a series to me.
Haven - I like this - will probably watch a bit more.

Still have the following to watch pilot eps for: Alphas, Revenge, Nashville, Last Resort, Hawaii 5-0, White collar, Homeland (I'm unlikely to like this, I think), American Horror Story, Psych

Sparky

#50 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,292 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

Quirky, cute, vulnerable... you're going to love Gary (Alphas!).

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#51 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

^ I was thinking the same thing, I think he's everyone's favorite character!  :wub:  (And every show needs a character with no verbal filter.  :hehe: )

SFG  ;)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#52 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on 09 October 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

Sci-Fi Girl :love: :hugs: I've been using this thread in conjunction with IMDB's "You might also like..."

Anything within the last 5-6 years that I haven't seen yet :look:

This is where I've got to on the latest shows:

Teen Wolf - not for me, but I get it's appeal.
Leverage - hm, kind of a poor man's Hustle, to my mind (no offence). If you like Leverage- definitely try Hustle :)
Person of Interest - So far so good though, I'll give it a couple more eps
The Good Wife - I can see why people like this. It's good - but the situation between Alicia and her husband isn't really grabbing me.
Breaking Bad - main character doesn't seem hugely charismatic ... it felt more like a film than a series to me.
Haven - I like this - will probably watch a bit more.

Still have the following to watch pilot eps for: Alphas, Revenge, Nashville, Last Resort, Hawaii 5-0, White collar, Homeland (I'm unlikely to like this, I think), American Horror Story, Psych

Sparky

Cool!

Well I was going to try and describe Person of Interest, but since you've already started watching it I'll focus on other shows.  :)

As mentioned above, Alphas.  The premise is vaguely similar to X-men, RHW style.  :cool:  There are plot arcs, but it definitely focuses on the characters well.  And Gary is, well, just watch and you'll see!  ;)

Falling Skies is a Steven Spielberg cable series.  It's a post-apocalypse alien invasion show, with the last of humanity mounting a resistance against the aliens (and just trying to stay alive).  The star is Noah Wyle, scruffy hero with a moral compass and a family to protect.  (Who am I kidding, they're rebel refugees on the run, everyone on the show is scruffy! :p )

But the show is stolen by Colin Cunningham, a scruffy wisecracking rogue, and he's very rogue!  He steals every scene he is in, and the actor holds nothing back.  A year ago I described his performance as "a badass, a comedian, and a lunatic ... all at once!  LOL!"  :lol:

Now in season two, Ryan Robbins joined the mix.  :love:  Any character of his is adorable, be they tough or sweet.  Here he plays a tough guy soldier from Texas, and he gets both fun scenes and emotional scenes.  :cool:

For other shows, have you seen Sanctuary, or Eureka?  What about Dollhouse? (Talk about no verbal filter! :lol: )  And surely you've seen the Stargates, right?  :look:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 10 October 2012 - 12:36 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#53 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

BTW, I know we're talking TV shows here, but did you ever watch Snow Cake?  I seem to remember getting you curious about it.  ;)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#54 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

^ Saw it and loved it :)

Dollhouse - I did watch that
Eureka - is that the one with a guy who goes back to his hometown and then there's apocalypse and whatnot? Think I saw the first ep but I didn't really like the main character much
Sanctuary - haven't seen that - what's it about?

Alphas is now top of my to-watch list. I've never heard of Falling Skies so I'll check that out too... but yeah I used to watch Stargate SG-1 which is a classic ;)

Sparky

#55 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on 10 October 2012 - 03:02 AM, said:

Eureka - is that the one with a guy who goes back to his hometown and then there's apocalypse and whatnot? Think I saw the first ep but I didn't really like the main character much
No, that's Jericho. Eureka is a sci-fi dramedy about a (divorced, with a teen daughter) US Marshall who becomes sheriff of Eureka, a town where the US Government keeps its super-geniuses. The guy running the garage is a former NASA engineer, the town's diner is run by a guy who occasionally travels to the White House to cater state dinners, the animal control expert is a cryptozoologist, etc. Most of the humour comes from the regular-guy sheriff trying to interact with the. . . eccentric geniuses.

Also, it has an AI-controlled smart-house that has more personality than some real people.

Sanctuary is a Canadian series about a group of scientists running a network of sanctuaries for "Abnormals" --creatures and persons who don't fit into the conventional view of evolution. It stars Amanda Tapping, and one of the recurring characters is Bigfoot (usually just called "the Big Guy"). Other recurring characters include John Druitt (a.k.a. Jack the Ripper) and Nicholas Tesla.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#56 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostCybersnark, on 10 October 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

Other recurring characters include John Druitt (a.k.a. Jack the Ripper) and Nicholas Tesla.

Those are good summaries of the shows, and I will come back with my own descriptions focusing on character likability / adorableness (one of my favorite subjects ;) ).  In the meantime I just have to correct one thing, his name is Nikola Tesla.  :)

Also, one more thing about Gary on Alphas:  I know that the actor is British, but I would never have guessed it from watching him in this role.  His performance as Gary is amazing, in every way!  :cool:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 10 October 2012 - 02:13 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#57 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

^ Wow, just saw the pilot of Alphas and I totally agree - would never have guessed he's a Brit. I can see why he's everyone's favourite character too :D He fits the bill :D

Sparky

#58 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

^ :D :cool:

View PostSparkyCola, on 10 October 2012 - 03:02 AM, said:

... but yeah I used to watch Stargate SG-1 which is a classic ;)

Sparky

Ah, but did you see Stargate: Atlantis?  (Rodney Mckay FTW! ;) )

Ok, Sanctuary!  :love:  It's made by some of the same people as Stargate.  As previously mentioned it stars Amanda Tapping, in a role very different than Sam Carter.  Helen Magnus is an authority / mother figure who doesn't age, with long dark hair, a sense of style, and a british accent!  (You'll have to tell me how good her accent is, it sounds good to me but I'm American.  :p )

My favorite main character is Henry Foss, played by Ryan Robbins. :love:  As I said before he is always adorable, and here he plays a sweet, silly, tech-geek. :D  This role is the reason I look for him in other roles.  He is only in parts of season 1, but he is a full regular after that, and he really comes into his own throughout the series.  (His standout ep of season one is "nubbins", a full on comedy ep directed by Peter Deluise.  Think evil aphrodisiac tribbles, LOL! :howling: )

The aforementioned Bigfoot is played by Chris Heyerdahl (Todd the wraith from atlantis :hehe: ).  Big Guy is a kind and gentle soul, and best friend to Henry.

Some other characters who show up with varying frequency, are Helen's colleagues and friends from the old days, both in flashbacks, and the long lived ones in the present.  They are all historical figures or characters from literature.  John Druitt is also played by Chris Heyerdahl, who does "tall menacing bald guy" very well.  And even though he is Jack the Ripper, most of the time he is a good guy, keeping his darker side in check.  

My other favorite character (yes, I'm allowed more than one ;) ) is the one and only Nikola Tesla! :D  He is an irreverent arrogant genius, but in a lovable way, not an offensive way.  In fact a better word might be irrepressible, complete with wisecracking and banter.  And he also happens to be a vampire.  :lol:  Best exchange in recent memory:

Nikola Tesla: If an immortal vampire dies in a virtual world ...?
Helen Magnus:  Does he... make a sound.
Nikola Tesla: !!!

:howling:

There is even a Sherlock Holmes type character, although he is actually Watson, having let Doyle give the credit elsewhere out of humility.  He is played by Peter Wingfield, and he is not in many episodes but he is very good when he shows up.  His best episode is season 3's "Normandy".  :)

Probably way too much information, LOL!

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 11 October 2012 - 01:04 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#59 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Sorry for the fan explosion, LOL.  ;)

I can't really say enough about Tesla. :)  He can be serious, but he hardly ever is!  (and he's got a killer smile ;) )

Another quote: (Tesla has electromagnetic powers)
Helen Magnus: How's your magnetism in here?
Nikola Tesla: You tell me!
Helen Magnus: Really?!? Even now?!
Nikola Tesla: Sorry, it's automatic.  :blush:

LOL!

Christopher Heyerdahl is always good, I loved him as Todd the wraith and he's great on Sanctuary.  Then I read that he's related to Thor Heyerdahl, which is just awesome! :cool:

SFG

PS.: One more thing, the nubbins I mentioned before?  They look like the littlest Totoro!  :lol:

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#60 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

I'm hooked on Alphas now so it may have to wait :p :D (Which won't take long, I've already started S2) - Gary is so cute it's ridiculous :love: :D

Sparky

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recommendations, tv, reviews, uk tv

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users