• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

' The suit drew support from Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Hillsborough, author of legislation that would transfer initial review of military rape cases from the commanding officer to a newly created office of investigators and prosecutors. She said the bill has 131 co-sponsors but has not been scheduled for a hearing in the House Armed Services Committee since she introduced it in November.

"Victims get discharged in the military, and perpetrators get promoted," Speier said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.co...p#ixzz27yuxQ9fX

' The first suit, filed in 2010, was dismissed in December 2011 by a federal judge in Virginia who agreed with President Obama's Justice Department that a 1950 Supreme Court ruling bars soldiers and veterans from suing the government for injuries suffered during military service. Burke said an appeals court will hear that case in December.
...............  The new suit was filed in U.S. District Court a day after Panetta, appearing on NBC's "Today" show, expressed "outrage" at the scant number of prosecutions for rapes on military bases. The Defense Department estimates that 19,000 sexual assaults occurred in the armed forces last year, but only 3,000 service members reported being assaulted, and about 240 cases were prosecuted. '
:(
'
A plaintiff in Friday's suit, Kole Welsh, told reporters the judiciary is "condoning and participating in the rape of service members" by protecting the military from liability.

Welsh, 27, who served in the Army from 2002 to 2007, said he was in training at Fort Lewis, Wash., in 2007 when he was sexually assaulted by a male staff sergeant, and later learned he had been infected with the AIDS virus.
He said the Army discharged him and denied him medical treatment but took no action against the sergeant,

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: military, harassment, rape, suit, law, defense, 2012

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users