Church & State 2012 First Amendment

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

Is the average member of this board  likely to be incensed by certain churches of certain denominations endorsing candidates of rightist views, but would be willing to ignore other churches of other denominations publicly supporting candidates of leftist views?

I'm not thrilled with it going in either direction honestly. If I want to go to a campaign rally, I'll go to a campaign rally, I shouldn't have to deal with it at church and back when I used to attend regularly politics was NEVER raised and if it had been, I'd not have attended. Is church for hearing a sermon about God or for hearing a stump speech about a political candidate or party? I would repeat a question asked by someone else, would these pastors be equally enamored with Muslims exercising that same "right"? This is why I prefer NOT to have politics and religion mixed together as is becoming more and more the case. Should the lose tax exempt status? I honestly don't know. I'd hate to see it for the charity work they do.

Does anyone know the history of why this was written into the tax code in the first place? What other organisations are exempt and are they political?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostLin731, on 10 October 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

I'm not thrilled with it going in either direction honestly. This is why I prefer NOT to have politics and religion mixed together as is becoming more and more the case. Should the lose tax exempt status? I honestly don't know. I'd hate to see it for the charity work they do.

I would think that if they lose their tax exempt status, it would only be for things non-charitable related. I believe, like individuals and businesses, that a Church without a tax exempt status would be able to get their tax burden lessened with recognized charitable donations.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#23 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostBatrochides, on 10 October 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

If churches in general were to lose their tax-exempt status, then it will be presumed that they will have to exert themselves far more than at present to raise funds to pay federal taxes, which in turn would mean a good many poorer parishes would go bankrupt or seized in consequence of their inability to meet their tax obligations...something that I would expect from China's government, not America's.

Is the average member of this board  likely to be incensed by certain churches of certain denominations endorsing candidates of rightist views, but would be willing to ignore other churches of other denominations publicly supporting candidates of leftist views?

A priest or minister exhorting his parishioners to vote for a particular candidate may be of very dubious taste, but I'm leery of the Federal government having its agents snoop on religious services with the aim of effectively punching the ticket of pastors whom they believe are violating restrictions on speech.

Batrochides
It's not the leftist churches telling parishioners how to vote if they want to avoid the fires of hell.  I would be disgusted with them if they did, but they simply don't.  And that's one of the things that the evangelical fundamentalists sneer at them for.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#24 Batrochides

Batrochides
  • Islander
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

Nonny:

With all due respect, whether a church "tells its parishioners how to vote if they want to avoid the fires of hell", or such a sanction is outside the belief system of the denomination/pastor in question, ought to be irrelevant to the present matter of religious organizations and figures urging their followers to vote for particular candidates at the risk of losing tax-exempt status. Otherwise, one would imply that Church A in, say, San Francisco, can publicly endorse candidates and political parties because their belief system doesn't promise dire spiritual consequences for failure to heed the directions from the pulpit, but Church B in Oklahoma City that does promise such consequences should be monitored by the government and effectively punished if it chooses to make political endorsements.

Batrochides

#25 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia....1.28c.29.283.29

And the accumulated regs and rules are considered law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_code

Edited by Rhea, 12 October 2012 - 09:27 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#26 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Sometimes the IRS can't win for losing:

Freedom From Religion Foundation sues IRS for not enforcing electioneering restrictions on churches
[Actual text of lawsuit embedded in article]

#27 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

^ Thanks for the update Orpheus
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Church & State, 2012, First Amendment

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users