Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Revenge: Season 2 (SPOILERS ABOUND!)

Revenge ABC

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

OK - so I'll admit that I haven't stepped foot into the other review thread, mainly because I don't want to discuss or be associated with the 3-sixes show.  Yes, that's slightly superstitious of me.  But, there you have it.

SO... with that, I hope I provide a compelling enough reason for a few folks watching Revenge to join me over here, but just in case it's me talking to myself, I'm making a thread for the whole season. :)

AND - what a season it's been!  Last season we discovered that it was entirely possible that Mrs. Clark (Emily's mother) might be alive!  And, we ended the season with Victoria Grayson's plane blowing up.  Fast forward by about two months, and we find Amanda Clark drowning, apparently at the hands of some nefarious ne'er-do'well, who has tied her to a wooden pole and left her to drown as the pole takes her under.  But wait!  That's not it at all! It's a training session by the mysterious Mr. Takeda (who, by the way, looks different this year.  Is it a different actor?).  And he has minions!  OR, assistants! Or something.  Anyway, I was sure that Amanda would do some fancy something and get herself free, but instead, she was happily drowning, and totally didn't appreciate being rescued by Steven Segal minion guy. Her drowning was bringing her old memories back - perhaps flooding oneself with water makes memories bubble up to the top?? Anyway, Mr. Takeda is NOT pleased that that was her mission, instead of whatever he wants her mission to be.  She stomps off, beating up minion guy, and Mr. Takeda essentially decides that he needs to burn her.  Minion guy thinks he can save her, so that she doesn't make the same mistake he made.  OK, says Mr. Takeda, BUT, if you fail, you and she BOTH get the ax!  DundunDUNNNNN. LOL!  OK, so that's plot the first.

Ok - unfortunately, I can't keep that up for the whole two episodes, so I have to give the blow-by-blow a rest at this point.  It's just that that particular plot line is so... oddly melodramatic - it seems to totally overtake all the drama of "My mother! She's still alive!" which got played out TWICE, what with the return of Victoria and all!  And the twists and turns of Victoria!  Boy is she a schemer.  I'm not even clear on where her game is going now - finding out she was in cahoots with whitehaired man was twist enough - her turning on him seems one trick too many.  It seems that we are perhaps getting to the outer edges of the international conspiracy that was always implied in this show, but which we somehow mostly escaped all first season.  Not sure I am looking forward to that story coming front and center but I now wonder how close Mr. Takeda is to that storyline?

The far more intriguing coil to be unwound - is David Clark... I've always thought that he was a little too squeaky clean in all of this, but it made for a good backdrop for Amanda's rage.  The more we unwind the conspiracy, however, the less likely it is for David Clark to be the innocent he seemed to be.  The business of his wife being put away for mental health issues is particularly unsavory, when it doesn't seem to be that she was supposed to be locked up.  One wonders how Emily would feel if she found out that her father was complicit in her mother's demise?  One thing is - white-haired guy almost said he didn't kill Mrs. Clark, but then decided after all to kill Emily, only to get shot himself (well, he was a nasty piece of work, so I guess he had that coming).  So we still might get to meet Mrs. Clark in a future episode.

I couldn't get too worked up about Nolan's homelessness (really?) nor his new CFO (who seems destined to be his new lover as well).  Her becoming CFO seemed obvious and predictable.  More concerning is why he's being audited so aggressively.

Poor Jack.  Poor Declan.  Declan's a silly kid with a good heart.  I hope he doesn't get totally screwed for holding stolen goods, but geez.  One would think he'd know better, especially better than to trust the rich folks he's surrounded by.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

So far I'm not doing cartwheels.  It actually started last season.  I find it completely ridiculous that Emily would turn over the originals of all the evidence she had so painstakingly gathered and protected over the years and not make a back up.  It just doesn't make sense.  It's a rookie mistake and Emily's no rookie.

I find the fake Amanda boring.

I also find the idea that the rehab Doctor is actually able to get away with what he's doing AND that a judge would declare Charlotte incompetent without even a hearing to be ludicrous.  Even in fiction they gotta at least TRY.  

We'll see.
Posted Image

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

My recording of the second episode messed up so I'm going to have to watch it On Demand. Hopefully sometime today or tomorrow.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

They've put too many irons in the fire this early in the season, I'm afraid. Last year, with the focus on the takedown of the week, the show was more like a soap-opera version of Leverage or Mission: Impossible. Now it's a hybrid of Alias and every daytime soap ever written.

One of Revenge's strengths is that it does not draw out the resolution of plot points interminably but the flip side is that they've burned through too much plot and now seem to be throwing everything but the kitchen sink into the mix.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, that seems a fair critique. For some reason - the show doesn't seem to be ABOUT Emily getting revenge anymore - that's just a side plot. :(

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Well, the 3rd episode of the season "Confidence" was confusing to me - messy and not as interesting for some reason.  Maybe it's just the continuation of way too many plots.  For all that, somehow I missed noticing that the lady at the inn was Emily's mom - and what a revelation that she was with Mr. White Haired guy!  One would have to wonder why white-haired guy would try to kill his lady's daughter. That is - one would have to if the plots were not so scattershot as to have undid the inherent logic of the show.

I just lost a bunch of text and can't muster the energy to recreate it.  The show has lost something - one wonders why they felt the need to mess with success.  I hate where they are going with Nolan, and I hate the Aidan character.  Bring back REVENGE!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#7 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

The original concept couldn't be extended indefinitely.  Essentially they had Emily accomplish everything she needed to get revenge for her father--and then she says, but my mom's alive, so to heck with revenge, I must find her. And this has turned the show into a muddled all-out soap crossed with Alias.

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

^^ It is at this point that the premise of the "mini-series" begins to look appealing again. :)

But having said that - there's still too much going on.  If they're going to be an all out soap, then they should go ahead and do that - which would keep the universe fairly tightly contained.  Instead - it's spiderwebbing out - making it very unfocussed and less intense.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

Actually this ep was the strongest of the season thus far for me.  Yes there are a ton of things that just exceed my limit on stretching credulity BUT it appears that they're getting the focus back, which is really really good.
Posted Image

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

So - finally some payoff, and what an episode this was!

Where to start?  OK - I'll start with Daniel - he's such a sap.  So one good act on Ashley's part and he's all in with her?  After all - all that's happened is that she switched loyalties - how could he be interested in her knowing her original reason for being with him was to spy on him?  Ach.  I'm with Mr. Takeda on this one.  He's weak.

Moving on to uninteresting story number 2 - Nolan and his new CFO.  OK - in truth, I want good things for Nolan.  He's such a sweetie.  And how adorable was it of him to fall off of the boxes trying to kiss the girl?  But, this is Revenge... so I'm not that interested - and at the same time, I don't want the girl to have secret alterior motives, so I don't WANT this story to get more interesting. I WANT Nolan to help Emily!  Is that too much to ask?

The most interesting aspect of the story now is figuring out how Emily's mother is factored into all of this.  The drowning scene could look like a mislead - that Emily's memory is not how it played out.  But hard to feel sympathy for a woman who abandons her child, no matter what the drowning scene shows, and even harder to understand why Gordon Whitehair was so determined to kill Emily, despite knowing it's his lady's daughter.  And, I'm having trouble imagining that momma Clarke doesn't recognize her own daughter, or that Amanda isn't her.  That seems quite the contrivance.  My son at 6 looks quite different than he does at his age today, but he still today looks like my son.  Of course, I lived with him the whole time, but I don't think I'd mistake some other kid for my own that close up on him.  Even if I did, if the genuine article showed up subsequently - how would I not realize my initial error?  As a mom, this part of the story is stretching credibility a little bit.  I'm having a hard time not writing the plot as I figure it MUST go, given the circumstances...

Very curious as to how Emily will proceed at this point.    It being her MOTHER, whose affection is now being lavished on her doppelganger, I'm wondering if Emily will turn on Amanda to win her own mother's affection, or just where the writers are going to take her now?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Victoria and Conrad haven't a single redeeming quality between them.  They are both despicable human beings.
Posted Image

#12 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Well - that's most CERTAINLY true, and I have to say, I'm sorry for it.  I thought Victoria was somewhat of a sympathetic character at the end of last season.  Now - she's just the slimy creature we originally thought her to be.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Yeah I like my villains with slightly more than one dimension shared between them.  I feel like they've both been turned into one note mustache twirlers and it's not a good thing.
Posted Image

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Finally got caught up on this show. I agree with everything Lil and QT have said. Too many plots going on and not enough focus on any of them. Though this newest episode was much better. Last season had better focus because it was Emily getting revenge and all the side stories spun off of what she was doing and the chaos it was creating. Here it seems like they're trying to give every main character their own little mini-arc and it's just too much too soon.

Where to start?  OK - I'll start with Daniel - he's such a sap.  So one good act on Ashley's part and he's all in with her?  After all - all that's happened is that she switched loyalties - how could he be interested in her knowing her original reason for being with him was to spy on him?  Ach.  I'm with Mr. Takeda on this one.  He's weak.

This is the first time I wished Daniel had died on the beach. He's a sap and just pretty dumb. Plus his relationship with Ashley is gag inducing. It needs to end and Ashley needs to go. It doesn't help that so far neither of them have done anything really interesting this season.

Moving on to uninteresting story number 2 - Nolan and his new CFO.  OK - in truth, I want good things for Nolan.  He's such a sweetie.  And how adorable was it of him to fall off of the boxes trying to kiss the girl?  But, this is Revenge... so I'm not that interested - and at the same time, I don't want the girl to have secret alterior motives, so I don't WANT this story to get more interesting. I WANT Nolan to help Emily!  Is that too much to ask?

I also want to see Nolan happy and I like the actress playing Padma(she was aon Greek)but it is kind of boring. Have it tie into Emily's story and it will be okay. But existing by itself it just isn't that interesting.

Yeah I like my villains with slightly more than one dimension shared between them.  I feel like they've both been turned into one note mustache twirlers and it's not a good thing.

Completely agree. It feels like the writers are trying to top last season with all the backstabbing and evil plots those two engaged in and in doing so have lost what made the characters engaging. Now they're just one note evil schemers trying to constantly one up each other. Which makes for good TV but at the same time you just want them to go away for a while.

So does everyone make complicated plots in the Hamptons? I mean, really? It's bad enough with the Graysons and Emily. Now we learn that the guy Declan stole from set the entire thing in motion so he could buy Jack's bar? Really?

I'm also wondering what will happen once Emily's mom comes face to face with her real daughter. Will she recognize her? And what will Emily do now that she's found her mother? Will she out herself as the real Amanda Clarke or will her memory of her mother trying to kill her make her keep her distance? Oh, and please let her not fall for Takeda's man. The guy is a slimeball that Emily needs to take down.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

I believe Revenge jumped the Shark tonight. :/
Posted Image

#16 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

I thought it jumped at the beginning and is starting to climb back up out of the water--although to a different shore.

#17 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

I don't agree.  Even more plots, characters doing 180s for no reason, even LESS focus.  I'll watch next week but it had better be pretty special because that will be it. :(
Posted Image

#18 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Wow.  I don't know HOW to feel about this one.  A lot going on, but a lot of resolution too - this was really very emotionally tough.  The friendship between Amanda and Emily was the best one - it was good to see Emily respecting the humanity of Amanda, even if it felt somewhat alloyed - Emily moreso looking out for Jack than for Amanda in telling Amanda the truth.  Still, it was a nice moment.  And Kara Clarke really having a psychotic episode was rewarding in its lack of contrivance.

NOT thrilled at having Padma turn into one of the schemers, as per my worries last week, and REALLY unhappy with Steven Segal (what IS the character's name??) turning on Emily, and possibly injuring Nolan.  As the alliances shift, I'm not sure we have a driving reason to care about who's doing what to whom - in that sense I agree with Lil that the focus seems lost, and I also agree with Cardie - a new vision is coming into focus - the story is tightening up... but do I want to watch this story as it careens down a whole different path from it's original premise?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#19 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

The British fellow Takeda acolyte is named Aiden, played by Barry Sloane. He's just been named a regular, so we will have to put up with him for a while. So many actors on the show are Brits: Gabriel Mann, Josh Bowman, Ashley Madekwe, Sloane. And Conrad and Emily are Canadian.

#20 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

Well, well, well!  Revenge is BACK! :)

This was finally an episode where shocking things actually fit into the moment and progressed the story line - and Nolan is showing either some gumption or foolhardiness in leaning INTO Padma instead of pushing her away.  Here's me rooting for him again. :)

Hmmm. I wish the "Initiative" went away.    I hate the storyline and was glad the show didn't head off in that direction last season - this season it seems inevitable.  But it at least seems to clarify that Mr. Takeda is NOT a part of that movement - so there's that.

OF course the bombshell is Mason Gladwell's realzation that Emily Thorne and Amanda Clarke are far more tied together than they ever let on.  I wonder if he reaches the next conclusion about the switch, or where he goes with this new idea.  And I'm hoping against hope that Emily intended that he stumble into this bit of realization - but I'm fairly certain that she did not. :(

Welcome back, Revenge!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Revenge, ABC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users