• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

Examples include:

The "thank you" and "You're welcome" waves (particularly in situations where right of way rules were simply followed)
The "Watch out there is a hazard ahead of you" flash from drivers coming the other way
People who let you turn right even though they have no obligation to do so, just because they can see you're stuck
Likewise, people who let you out of a junction or change lane to make it easier for you to get out
Lorries or tractors that pull over to let you by
[Other examples welcome]

It's little things like this that often make my day :D Road Rage is all very well but the above situations occur WAY more frequently to offset the morons. So to nice drivers everywhere:

Keep up the good work! :happy:

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 12 October 2012 - 06:18 AM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#2 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,633 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Why do I never meet these drivers? I only seem to meet:

Why yes, I will go around the roundabout in the wrong lane then try to drive into the side of you
Why yes, I will turn right in front of you when you're travelling at 60mph (national speed limit area)
Why yes, I will barrel down the inside lane ignoring the lane closed ahead signs then cut across into the queuing traffic

etc etc. Can you come drive round Huddersfield Sparky? We could take turns to let each other out of side lanes and thank each other for not being idiots. :)

I have to say though, I think the Oatmeal comic has come up with a cracking idea: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/car_needs I hate it when I accidentally carve somebody up or something and I'm like "oh crap!" when they're like "beeeeeeeep!!!!!". (Side note: I generally find in situations where the horn would be useful, I'm too busy yanking on the steering wheel and slamming on the brakes and yelling "holy crap!" to use the horn. Is that just me?)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#3 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

No Alica its not just you. Every time I find the horn useful I'm far too busy handling the steerig wheel, brakes, gears, or all three in some combination while yelling various foul mouthed expletives.

As for 'kind driving' I guess it depends on the mood I'm in. If I'm stressed or late/borderline late for work I'm merciless in my need to save time. If I'm not late/borderline late for work I'll most often do all the nice, polite stuff.
Rejected and gone.

#4 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

I find if someone has made a mistake (usually one that anyone could make/ has made) honking is probably not going to help them at all - it will just stress them out more. That comic is exactly right - we can rage about others all we want, but what's the point? We all make mistakes. If someone cuts me up it's usually because it's REALLY hard to get out of that junction/roundabout any other way. If no harm is done, I'm not gonna get mad about it.

But 3 things of note:
1. I work in Roundabout central - Milton Keynes has to be the easiest city in the UK to drive around. Grids and roundabouts, dual carriageways and plenty of room. I'm sure Huddersfield can't be that bad - I saw plenty of considerate drivers around Sheffield.
2. My route to and from work involves a LOT of situations where people are parked on the road so only a single lane of traffic can get by - people have to wait, so giving a polite "thanks" or "You're welcome" is a daily occurrence
3. I get road rage approximately once a year, in exceptional circumstances only.

Only if someone is a MAJOR douche will I get ticked off about it. On the whole I just don't get the deal with road rage. If you really pay attention to the considerate things other drivers do, I assure you it's a lot more rewarding.

Like 99% of Brits I only use my horn in those extremely rare occasions where someone has done something illegal and/or genuinely dangerous.

So anyway - this is a thread about reverse-road-rage - to celebrate the thoughtfulness of other drivers. :)

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#5 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

View PostAlica, on 12 October 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

(Side note: I generally find in situations where the horn would be useful, I'm too busy yanking on the steering wheel and slamming on the brakes and yelling "holy crap!" to use the horn. Is that just me?)
No, it's not just you. Sometimes I think that it would be useful to have a voice activated horn, so that when you say "holy crap!" or "f***!" above a certain volume, your horn sounds.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

View PostAlica, on 12 October 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

I have to say though, I think the Oatmeal comic has come up with a cracking idea: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/car_needs

OMG so funny!  And I'm  ACTUALLY EATING OATMEAL RIGHT NOW!!    :howling:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,633 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

Oops Sparky, apologies for sort of hijacking the point of your thread. I think the main reason I meet so many bad drivers is because I drive past a high school and a college to get to my work - so I have to deal with all the mums who have dropped their children off and then want to do u-turns. On a main road. That is full of cars and children who don't look. *facepalm*

Though I do meet some nice people! I have to turn left to get out of the end of my road, and if the traffic is queuing back past our road (usually always TBF), if it's not moving people will leave a gap and let me pull out. Usually I want to go in the outside lane to go around the roundabout so it doesn't harm them at all, but it's still always nice when they let you do it. :) those are the nice people I meet on my drive. Though it didn't used to be so much of a problem until the council decided to "improve" the roundabout. Improving seems to mean more traffic jams and more accidents (seriously, I saw about two days after the changes).

Oh and I was guilty of leaving my car in a stupid spot a few weeks back (I'd half pulled in at the side of the road between a car and a bike on a speed bump), but I had good reason - I'd stopped to help a man who'd gotten his mobility scooter stuck half on the pavement half on the road - I went to help but being 11pm at night I was being cautious! So I do always try to think of reasons for stupid things, but sometimes they just irritate you.

This morning I was thankful the bin men were late so I didn't get tangled up with them when I was getting my car off the drive. :)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#8 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

There are nice people on the road? Why can't I ever find them? All i see are rude jerks with "ME! ME! ME!" on their minds. Those that pull in front of me and then hit their brakes. Those that don't stop at stop signs or wait their turn. Those that make a right turn from the middle lane. Those that rear-end me, refuse to pay, tell me to prove it, and then fight it out with insurance companies. Those that drive on sidewalks to avoid waiting to make a right turn. Fun times.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#9 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

View PostAlica, on 19 October 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

This morning I was thankful the bin men were late so I didn't get tangled up with them when I was getting my car off the drive. :)

The trash guys have taken to blocking my garage, so I find it easier to just stay home on trash day.    :rolleyes:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#10 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

I never get a wave or thank you or welcome when I make the right move for the whole, the group, the traffic, even if not the most direct convenient for me- my big peeve are those drivers who insist on taking the direct most convenient, least turns or steps, route for him/her regardless of how much traffic and how inconvenient and Dangerous for everyone else in the traffic- no matter how many others and how tangled and how dangerous they choose the route, I Need to go This way, as though there are no other drivers, no traffic as though it's two AM, but No it's rush, it's traffic, and they MUst, INsist, go the route of their choice as though chosen on some map with no thought to traffic or danger, the least turn round, or turns, or steps for him/her no matter what- I Will go down farther one more and hang a left just to make it less risk of crashes and cutoffs and danger for the group- it's called Defensive Driving, to make it all good for the group for the people even if it's one measley extra turn for me and a passenger will ask why you going there when we're going this other way and I'll say WE'll get there hold your reins Relax, no worries mate, just one extra minute, we'll go up here, one farther, hang a left and swing round and come in from the top, make it all SMOOTH for the whole, for the traffic, so no one will cut us or others off, no one will make accidents and we all sit here for two hours with Police and accident reports and Hopital... sheesh, I never get a thanks or a wave for all the grief I've saved for all those no-thinkers in the traffic ;)
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#11 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

As a lifelong mellow/polite driver, I was going to post immediately, but I got my first arguably valid moving violation since the 1980s [when I was speeding in Virginia on a cross-country trip] scant hours after Sparky posted this thread. (You're an Agent of Karma, admit it!)

I'm contesting it because of my excellent record [a warning would have been more appropriate] and because MA only officially adopted the Universal Vehicle Code (which states that you actually MUST stay out of the leftmost lane unless passing) recently -- but I don't feel philosophically solid about it. I just sent in the final form today. (*sigh*)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: driving, polite drivers

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users