5 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

http://www.huffingto..._n_1967727.html
Violentacrez Fired: Michael Brutsch Loses Job After Reddit Troll Identity Exposed By Gawker

Actions have consequences, which is something Michael Brutsch is just starting to learn.
Brutsch, aka "Violentacrez," was Reddit's biggest troll until Gawker exposed his true identify, revealing to the world the man behind questionable forums, such as r/creepshots -- a space dedicated to pictures of women unaware that their photographs had been taken.
Now that the 49-year-old from Arlington, Texas, has been outed, his behavior has caught up with him.
According to The Daily Dot, Brutsch was fired from his position at a financial services company less than 24 hours after Gawker editor Adrian Chen's exposé went live.Before the article was published, Chen wrote that Brutsch pleaded with him not to reveal his identity, correctly fearing he would lose his job and his ability to provide for his family.
"My wife is disabled. I got a home and a mortgage, and if this hits the fan, I believe this will affect negatively on my employment," he told Gawker. "I do my job, go home watch TV, and go on the internet. I just like riling people up in my spare time."...

No sympathy.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

You know, if he was just a run-of-the-mill troll (the type that says inflammatory stuff but doesn't do much else) I would have a bit more sympathy.  But things like r/jailbait (since banned on Reddit) r/rapebait and a few of the others...that's not just getting strangers on the internet worked up, that's violating people publicly.  Sure, some of those women/girls may have never known about it, but I know if I personally found out my picture was on one of those forums I would be furious.  I wouldn't be terribly happy if *any* picture of me was taken without my knowledge and posted on the internet, even if it's something innocuous.  I can't even imagine what kind of harm it could do if a woman who had already been a rape victim saw their picture on something like r/rapebait.  

The guy knew what he was doing was wrong, otherwise he wouldn't have cared if he was outed publicly.  I feel bad for his wife, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be held accountable for his actions.  Also, if I was an employer and discovered that one of my employees took/encouraged others to take surreptitious pictures of women and post them on the internet, hell yes I would be concerned.  I would be worried that he would do it to a coworker/client/anyone affiliated with the company and my company would face a sexual harassment lawsuit.  Even if such a lawsuit failed, it would be a huge scandal - meaning that guy was a liability waiting to happen.  And if actually knew that guy, you can BET I would go to Reddit right now to check his post history and see if I'm in one of his creep shots (or, if I had kids, if any of them were in any of his creep shots).  I wouldn't be surprised if he faces sexual harassment lawsuits from some people after this.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#3 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostNikcara, on 16 October 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

I wouldn't be terribly happy if *any* picture of me was taken without my knowledge and posted on the internet, even if it's something innocuous.  I can't even imagine what kind of harm it could do if a woman who had already been a rape victim saw their picture on something like r/rapebait.  
Exactly why he gets no sympathy from me.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

What Nikcara said. And the sentence that said "actions have consequences" is absolutely true. For some reason, people think they can do anything and spew out hatred indiscriminately on the internet, and nobody knows who they are, and it doesn't really matter since it's just the internet. They don't seem to realize that they're putting it out for the entire friggin' planet to see.

If I were one of those women, I'd sue his ass off.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#5 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

http://www.huffingto..._n_1975560.html

Michael Brutsch, Former Reddit User 'Violentacrez,' To (Kind Of) Apologize On 'Anderson Cooper 360'

To the scores of underage women who've had their images posted on the Internet without their permission, former Reddit troll Michael Brutsch has something to say to you: He's sorry. Sort of.
In an interview that will air on "Anderson Cooper 360," Michael Brutsch, the 49-year-old Texas native responsible for various racist and misogynistic forums on the popular link-aggregating site Reddit told CNN's Drew Griffin that he regrets posting pictures that may have hurt others.
One day after Brutsch indicated on Reddit that he would sit down on Cooper's show, CNN gave the press a preview of what one of the Internet's biggest trolls had to say for himself.
"With the rape and incest Reddits, I have come around over the last few months to understand that some of these things can be harmful to some people," Brutsch said.
"Are you apologizing for what you did or trying to make an excuse of what you did?" Griffin asked.
"Well, I am to some degree apologizing for what I did," Brutsch said. "Again, I was playing to an audience of college kids."...

That's an apology?   :headshake:   "Chokeatroll" comes to mind.
Posted Image

#6 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

Oooh, I like that a lot better than "Whack-a-mole," for some reason. :devil1:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Internet, Troll exposed, fired, 2012

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users