Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

An Intersection of History and early Modern Media

Abraham Lincoln US History Early Television Media 1950's TV I've got a secret

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

This is a great article, but I have to link to the YouTube video it has embedded, because it's so darling, that I don't want anyone to miss it for failing to click a link!

The America of Lincoln and the Civil War can feel like distant history, but every now and then, through the appearance of what Jason Kottke has called a "human wormhole," we are confronted with the brevity of a century and a half.
The above video captures this phenomenon succinctly. Here is a man, elderly but still kicking, who witnessed the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Yet his setting -- the 1950s/1960s game show "I've Got a Secret" -- is completely recognizable as a modern media production.
http://www.theatlant...youtube/263800/

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

My god...I used to watch that show, I was tiny but I remember it.  It's so amazing that they gave
cigarettes as prizes back in the day.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#3 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

After the posted video, there was a clip from What's my line, and the guest was Eleanor Roosevelt.  That one was good too.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Absoluteluy amazing

Edited by Rhea, 19 October 2012 - 03:57 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

I used to play that bucket brigade game quite a bit as a youth. We varied the rules quite a bit over time to keep it fresh. At first, it was enough that each participant in the chain was born before his/her predecessor died, but that made it all-too-easy to bridge any two events in American or "modern" European history with three, or often two, humans -- a humbling perspective.

We added variations so the game wouldn't always go to those who had memorized 20-40 centenarians. Among them: requiring each link to reasonably known of of its predecessor (or successor) while alive; counting only adult or professional lives; requiring each link to be famous; requiring that they worked with/against each another; allowing (or requiring) linkages like family, major awards, affiliations etc. or ultimately: the first in the chain had to have been involved in the first event, the last had to be involved in the second event, and each link in-between had to have worked professionally, with both their predecessor and successor, making longevity less important, but enhancing the role of [often less-known] central players in an era.

It was really quite a fascinating history game, and I can only imagine it would be more fun with the instant access of today's internet. It's especially fun to see how short a chain links you to major events or historical personages.

#6 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

this sort thing always reminds me, in a time when we should be having overall a longish longevity, average lifespan ages, ppl living, well some at least, to eighty... think of just how many? how many out there across your country and mine, alive today saw, can tell us, saw this or that major world event time? like how many can tell us I Saw the effects of the big 1929 crash right there in 1930? old enough to see, to hear, to get it, like at least fourteen years old in 1930? guess we lost those who could say I Saw, I Was there, in the November armistice of 1918; to be fourteen then they have to be what today? ..... can your da or ma say I Saw about something like perhaps the New Year day of 1940 with Europe at war and Asia in flames and the world heading toward a handbasket when many plain folk still had not yet climbed out from the Depression? your da or ma alive today, can say I Was there? ...... when will we lose all those who can say I Saw the VE day, May 1945, or VJ day that year? ...... when will we have only 50 alive in the world Korea conflict veterans, soon I bet? .... "I was shocked hearing on the radio that Gen MacArthur was recalled! by Truman" people. The clocks keep turning, even though less of us to hear the ticking.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Abraham Lincoln, US History, Early Television, Media, 1950's TV, I've got a secret

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users