• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Also, sense or not?  I thought the arm guns were COOL.
Posted Image

#22 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostBad Wolf, on 25 October 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

Also, sense or not?  I thought the arm guns were COOL.

Yes. ;) I appreciate how quickly paced the show is. It must be a recent CW thing because Nikita and The Vampire Dairies share the same trait. Just move, move, move.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#23 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,631 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostChristopher, on 25 October 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

View PostG-man, on 25 October 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

And his explanation to Digg that he hoped that the club might serve to jump start the gentrification of the Glades ... well, at least they're touching on the topic, though I, myself, am unconvinced about the benefits of gentrification.

I think Diggle's unconvinced too, and hopefully we'll get a nice debate about it between him and Oliver. Gentrification too often means middle/upper-class people driving out the current residents, rather than really helping those residents improve their community. I'm sure Ollie hopes for the latter, but hopefully Digg and his sister-in-law will help give him some street-level perspective he's been missing. Sort of a role reversal, casting Ollie in Hal Jordan's role from the classic "Hard-Traveling Heroes" comics arc and Digg in Ollie's role.

You know, I'd actually love to see this dialog played out in the show; not necessarily as a full-on discussion between Digg and Ollie; but certainly showing how Ollie's building the club (will he use local construction workers?) and its presence is greeted and treated in the Glades (news casts, protests, petitions coming to his attention, etc.).

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#24 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,686 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

When I read earlier this week that someone would be finding out about Oliver's secret alter ego, I was hoping that Thea would be the one finding out - first, because that would put her on the fast track to get more of the Speedy sidekick role, which I'm looking forward to.

And second, it would bring the story of Thea and her rebellious teen shenanigans to a quick end. Her escapades feel just a little too "typical CW standard" to me. Willa Holland is very good at playing these kind or roles, but I'd love for Thea to get away from that, and her getting to find out about Arrow might have helped that along. That moment with Moira was beautifully acted by Willa, as she is very good at conveying emotions only through her beautiful big eyes, a treat that I've always admired about her. I hope Thea will be depicted more in that way instead of the rebellious, drinking, or even drug-abusing teen girl that is so overdone at the CW.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 25 October 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#25 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,312 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

I am watching the ep for the first time commenting in real time.

Looks like Digg has a good reason to dislike Mr. Deadshot...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#26 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 25 October 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Looks like Digg has a good reason to dislike Mr. Deadshot...

I noticed that too. Surprised no one else has mentioned it.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#27 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

^What are you referring to?
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#28 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

Diggle's brother was killed while he was on the job. I think they're saying that it was Deadshot that was responsible for that but I never got that impression. All I heard was that his sister-in-law is no longer wearing her wedding ring, Dig's brother is "out of the picture," and then his sister-in-law confirmed that her husband died while Diggle was doing his job. Other than that, I don't think we know anything else about the situation unless I missed something.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#29 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

It would be a hugely contrived coincidence if Deadshot had been responsible for Diggle's brother's death. And it would serve no dramatic purpose for that to be the case, since Arrow killed Deadshot so he's not going to be a recurring character. What would be the point of giving a regular character a vendetta against a one-shot guest star who's already been killed off?
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#30 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,312 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

One of Deadshot's tattoos was "Andrew Diggle."

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#31 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Well, we actually don't know that Deadshot is dead. He appeared to be but we never had a confirmation that he was dead. If Oliver had hit him anywhere except in that special eye piece I'd say Deadshot is definitely dead. Given that this is based on a comic book, it's entirely plausible (even likely) that this isn't the last we've seen of him.

Andy Diggle is actually a comic book writer that worked on Green Arrow: Year One. Kind of an interesting name choice for John Diggle (and possibly his dead brother)... :)

Edited by NeuralClone, 25 October 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#32 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

And I wouldn't be so sure Deadshot's shot dead; the arrow hit his eyepiece and doesn't seem to have gone all the way through his skull. He's probably lost the eye, and possibly has some neurological damage, but people have survived far worse cranial impalements IRL --I wouldn't at all begrudge the show bringing him back.

#33 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

(Same-time post! Make a wish.)

#34 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

Comic books have me so well trained that my first reaction when seeing the arrow sticking out of Deadshot's eye piece was, "Yeah right. Like he's dead. VERY convenient arrow placement..." And the way Oliver ran off right to save Diggle before he could confirm the death was basically the writers confirming my suspicions. At the very least they've left it open-ended enough that they can bring him back if they choose to.

#35 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 25 October 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

One of Deadshot's tattoos was "Andrew Diggle."

As NC said, that's the name of the real-life comics writer that the Diggle character is named after. In fact, I'm pretty sure a number of the tattooed names were Easter-egg references to comics writers and artists, though I didn't get more than a glimpse to give me that impression. So it may well be just an in-joke.

Facebook Author Page

#36 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

Deadshot was a member of the Suicide Squad, it'd be cool to see the rest of the team on Arrow,
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#37 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

Some of the other names tattooed on Deadshot's chest and upper body along with who they likely are in reference to (after I did some quick Google searches):

Wes Anselm -- A pedophile that kidnapped Deadshot's son.
Danny Anselm -- Wes Anselm's brother.
Andy Haskell -- A lawyer involved with the kidnapping of Deadshot's son.
Andrew Diggle -- British comic book writer and co-author of Green Arrow: Year One. Possibly John Diggle's brother but not confirmed yet.
John O'Nell -- ???
Mark Piler -- ???

Glen Winter, Gordon Verheul, Todd Pittman, Ken Shane, Jim Pate, and Andy Haskell -- All of them appear to be crew members that work on the show. Interesting that one of the crew members has the same name as a character from a 1988 issue of the Deadshot comic.

Those are the only full names I can make out at this point (not all on the screen cap below). I'm rewatching the episode now and will post additional names if I can make them out in the other scenes.

Here's the first full shot of the names mirrored in Photoshop to make them easier to read (click the image for the full version):
Deadshot1.jpg

That's a lot of freaking names. That's only the upper front of his body too.

Edited by NeuralClone, 25 October 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#38 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,631 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hmmm ... as for partners/sidekicks ...

They introduced Felicity (the IT lady); there's Speedy; there's Laurel Lance; and there's Diggle ... which seems to indicate a potential of four partners ... maybe they're more Ollie's support staff (like Buffy's scoobies) rather than comrades in arms.

Again, I'm finding their development of Laurel (and the purported romance between her and Ollie) to be incredibly forced.  It's as if they don't have enough confidence to give Laurel her own independent storyline, even though they've given her a supporting cast of her own.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#39 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,312 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Since they went out of their way to show the name and since the next few scenes featured information about Digg's brother being killed in the line of duty, I can't imagine that it is any kind of coincidence, nor just an Easter Egg.  I'm reasonably certain that Andrew Diggle is, in script, Digg's dearly-departed brother.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#40 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,312 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostG-man, on 26 October 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hmmm ... as for partners/sidekicks ...

They introduced Felicity (the IT lady); there's Speedy; there's Laurel Lance; and there's Diggle ... which seems to indicate a potential of four partners ... maybe they're more Ollie's support staff (like Buffy's scoobies) rather than comrades in arms.

Again, I'm finding their development of Laurel (and the purported romance between her and Ollie) to be incredibly forced.  It's as if they don't have enough confidence to give Laurel her own independent storyline, even though they've given her a supporting cast of her own.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Present-day comics has Green Arrow with a whole team of "eyes" - people in radio and satellite communications with him at all time - they watch him fight, screen his environment, and can talk to him even while he is fighting. So, generally speaking, he only has fellow archers for partners, but he does have a bullpen of sorts. And like I said, Digg is evocative of another character that was around Ollie in comics for a while, who provided some degree of protection while he was Mayor, and who knew that he had to duck out and be Green Arrow sometimes (at least I think he knew).

So, this is playing out along those lines.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arrow

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users