• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

Please stay safe, everyone who is in its path. And then return to discuss what the effect of lengthy power outages will be on the election. ;)
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

Yes, please stay safe!
Posted Image

#3 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Yes.  Everyone on the right coast, stay safe.  Check in if you can.  Please.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Yep, everyone here is stocking up on things, and hoping we don't lose power.

Schools are closed, and they've been lowering the water in rivers and reservoirs for days.

People are taking no chances after Irene last year, when two towns near me were completely submerged.  All the county offices, the courthouse, county records etc, were wiped out.  A year later and the DMV is still at a temp location in a different town.

With Irene, they didn't lower the reservoir till the last minute, and only to spare the dam.  But since they waited, it saturated the river and groundwater below, so when the dam overflowed it wiped out the towns downriver.  That reservoir is owned by NYC, and it's a significant power generator for the city.  That means that all decisions for it are made from far away, and those who are directly in the path have no say in how it is controled.  No offence to NYC, but whoever makes decisions for that dam doesn't seem to give a crap what happens here, as long as NYC has power.  :headshake:

This year, it was only lowered because a local assemblyman pushed for it.  They had already lowered all the other rivers before they did anything with this one.  :ranting:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#5 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

Best of luck to all in its path. Scott and all EIers in that area- stay safe :hugs:

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

Holy cow, SFG, as if you don't have enough to worry about out your way!    :ranting:  

Stay safe.   :hugs:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Stay safe everyone! We should be getting wind and rain from this in Ontario up in Canada, but the worst in Ontario should be in other parts.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#8 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

All is well here.   We're only a mile or so from the harbor but we are also right near the highest point in Brooklyn and we're on the far side of the hill, the side that faces away from the water.  No chance of flooding, and we still have power/satellite.  But there is widespread flooding in the low lying parts of Brooklyn, Queens and especially Manhattan.  FDR Drive in the east 50s is under five feet of water.  South Street Seaport is underwater. The Hudson has breached West Chelsea at 23rd Street.  14th Street and Avenue C -- down the street from where I lived for my first 10 years in NYC -- is under water... and there is a huge ConEd station there.  Troubling.

The Goawnus and Newton Canals -- both horrifbly polluted with chemicals -- have overflowed their banks into their (gentrified) hoods.  I can't begin to imagine how those toxins will be cleared from the surrounding areas.  

The whole neighborhood in Jersey City where my office building is located -- underwater, and it has been for hours now.  There is probably extensive damage to the building.  (It's around Exchange Place in Jersey City, if anyone wants to google.)

And we're just hitting high tide.  High tide tomorrow will also be horrific, so this isn't close to over.

The worst is -- the subway is flooded.  All lines.  I'm hearing that MTA is about to announce the subway will be closed for at least the rest of the week.  Probably tens of billions in damage, and my guess is that it will be weeks, if not months, before the transit system is back to normal.  This is the worst case scenario for the city.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#9 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

Stay safe, Scott.  Just sent you a text.  I've been through more hurricanes than I care to count, but never take a single one of them for granted.

In other news, I had this crazy idea that things would be quiet today being so far removed from the storm--it's very strange NOT being in the path of a major weather event.  Totally not the case.

Anyhoo--happy thoughts your way, and be smart. :)

#10 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

I think I'll go for a walk outside now...  :devil:

#11 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

Haven't been outside today, just watching the wind and rain through the windows. We lost power for a couple of hours in the afternoon. On the whole not too bad in the immediate area. No doubt low lying areas on the coast had some flooding, but I don't think the storm surge was as bad as they thought it would be.
Best of luck to all who are in the storm's path,
Julianus

#12 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

All things considered, things are not too bad here in upstate NY.  There are some power outages, but I didn't lose power at all.  Strong winds started up mid afternoon, and the heavy rain started around 4.  I kept hearing ominous thunks from outside, and occasional sirens all afternoon.  But nothing epic.

My sympathies to Scott, and others in NYC.  I witnessed major flood devastation from Irene last year, so I know some of what you must be dealing with.

It looks like the coast got the worst of this, and further inland like upstate NY was (relatively) spared.  We were all really skiddish around here after what happened with Irene, as there are places that still haven't recovered.

The really strange thing is for hurricanes to come this far inland at all.  I've never seen anything like what we had with Irene.

As Governor Cuomo said earlier today:

Capital Tonight's Liz Benjamin spoke exclusively on the phone with Governor Cuomo who said much of Upstate was spared.

“I think it's going to be a pure inverse of where we were last time. Where downstate was basically unscathed and upstate paid a terrible price. I think now it's going to be the opposite. I think the price is going to be paid by downstate," Cuomo said.

I've been watching the news, and have been seeing some pretty nasty footage coming out of NYC.  There is video of an explosion at a ConEd facility, possibly the one Scott mentioned?  That took out a lot of power.

And there is a four story building where the front just crumbled right off, completely exposing the rooms inside.  And of course the flooded subways as already mentioned.  The link I gave has video of all those things.

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 30 October 2012 - 02:50 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#13 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

For the record, Sandy is a superstorm because of a collision of multiple events.  As the hurricane comes up the east coast, an early snowstorm comes in from the west, and an arctic blast moves in from the north.  Plus, there is a high pressure area out to sea, pushing Sandy inland so all these elements are combining to cover the whole northeast.

Sandy is a whopping 1,000 miles across.  The edges of a hurricane, inland, usually get the rain but not the wind.  But by the sheer size of this storm, the winds came far inland, and with not too much rain.  There were gusts over 60 mph deep in the mountains.  Still less than NYC and the coast, which I think got at least 100 mph, but still unusual.

Oh yeah, and there was snow in West Virginia!  :oh:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

Also, the timing coincided with the full moon, resulting in the highest high tides to combine with the coastal flooding.

And I heard that as the flooding comes into NYC, it is starting to push inland up the Hudson River, even as rainfall tries to flow down the river.  It will likely overflow upriver sometime overnight tonight, and again with the next high tide.  :fear:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 30 October 2012 - 02:49 AM, said:

Also, the timing coincided with the full moon, resulting in the highest high tides to combine with the coastal flooding.
I was just going to add something about the full moon!  Hearing about the 12-17 ft waves on Lake Erie made me realize just how many relatives I have back in NE Ohio.

And I heard that as the flooding comes into NYC, it is starting to push inland up the Hudson River, even as rainfall tries to flow down the river.  It will likely overflow upriver sometime overnight tonight, and again with the next high tide.  :fear:

Geez.   :(
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#16 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

I've been watching the news, and have been seeing some pretty nasty footage coming out of NYC.  There is video of an explosion at a ConEd facility, possibly the one Scott mentioned?  That took out a lot of power
SFG

Yeah, that's the one.  That footage is scary as hell.

#17 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

And the fire in the Rockaways burned up 80 homes, according to Mayor Bloomberg.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#18 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

The Rockaways didn't fare well, but I think the 80 homes that burned were in Breezy Point, which is at the far western end of the barrier island.  (The Rockaways is at the far eastern end).  We could smell a very bad fire from about 11-2 last night... might have been from that, but Coney Island Hospital also burned, and it was the same situation -- FDNY couldn't get to it because the surrounding roads were flooded.

Here's a link: http://www.huffingto..._n_2043071.html

My beloved Fire Island has also been devastated.  At least 5 breaches where the ocean met the bay.  Many houses swept away.  The  south shore beaches will never be the same...  some are no doubt gone permanently.  :( :(

At least 80% of households on Long Island, where my family lives, are without power.

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Scott, I'm beyond glad to hear you're okay. I've been looking at a map of the affected area and thought to myself 'oh sh*t, doesn't Scott live in Brooklyn'.

Keep safe would you :)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#20 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

So glad to her from all of those living areas affected by Sandy

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 30 October 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

The really strange thing is for hurricanes to come this far inland at all. I've never seen anything like what we had with Irene.

Not sure why but there really has been a lot of that in recent years. Maybe climate change due to global warming?

Not sure how far inland you are, SFG but reports back during Rita a few years back said that winds were still at 80-90 mph in Dallas (291 miles from coast)  and that wasn't even a storm on the  level of Sandy

All I can say is that hurricanes  pack a lot more punch when it comes to winds and severe effects further inland  than they did when I was a kid.  :unsure:

BTW GMA had pics of the damage to the Boardwalk in Atlantic City....big chunks of the Boardwalk are gone.

Edited by Tricia, 30 October 2012 - 12:47 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Sandy, 2012

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users