Natural Disasters Hurricane Sandy 2012

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,091 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

Glad to hear things are progressing, I'll keep all my New York friends, and for that matter, all my American friends who were affected in my prayers for your recovery in this long road ahead.

Keep safe and keep well...

Edited by Darkside_1, 04 November 2012 - 11:13 PM.

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#42 cl05

cl05
  • Islander
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Well, Bloomberg does actually live here.  It's clear that he understood the magnitude of the damage.  

I think it's just that he reflexively announced the marathon would still happen very early on, and like any politician he then felt wedded to that position.  I'm glad he changed his mind, though, especially because it would be like pissing on every Staten Islander to have the race... which starts in Staten, a place that was hit especially hard -- as hard as Hoboken and Jersey City -- but has gotten very little attention and less help.   Over half the casualties in NYC occurred on SI, and some of the worst, most heartbreaking stories hail from there -- like the child who was swept away from her mother and drowned in the flood.

Most of the people on SI are without power, and may remain without for a long time.  They are isolated geographically and they are running out of gas and even food -- the same as on Long Island, where I grew up.  And it's COLD.  A lot of people without power are also without heat and hot water.

That was my thought. How could the marathoners be given water, food, etc. running right by those people in Staten Island who are going through hell.

No way should that marathon have even been considered to carry on as if nothing had happened.

Edited by cl05, 05 November 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#43 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Never meant to imply that Bloomberg did not understand the situation for lack of living there or experiencing it.

"Awareness delay" is more about thinking that you should go on business as usual and not quite realizing that maybe that business as usual, getting back to normal, is not possible given the circumstances.

Because those circumstances, the damage and death,  are mind boggling for everyone.  Bad enough to see the pics but in person the reality is even more so

BTW some of those who came to run did go out and help with relief efforts per news reports and stories...
http://www.cbsnews.c...relief-efforts/

Edited by Tricia, 05 November 2012 - 12:25 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#44 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostTricia, on 05 November 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

BTW some of those who came to run did go out and help with relief efforts per news reports and stories...

Was just coming here to post that.  The runners have found a way to make something good come out of the controversy of the race.  They're here, and they've trained, so they are putting that to good use.

Disappointed NYC marathoners run in aid of Sandy victims

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Hundreds of runners in New York City are refusing to let a canceled marathon spoil their Sunday plans and are channeling months of preparation into informal runs intended to benefit victims of superstorm Sandy.

~

Early Sunday, more than 1,000 people, many of whom had planned to run the race, crowded onto two Staten Island Ferry boats, headed to the stricken borough with relief supplies ranging from food to plastic bags to help residents store belongings from damaged or destroyed homes.

At the home of Ruth Silverberg on New Dorp Lane in Staten Island, a group of 15 marathon runners formed an assembly line and cleared a basement with seven air conditioners and other debris that had flooded with 4-1/2 feet of water.

"I'm awed," said Silverberg, 59, her voice choking, as she thought it would take two weeks of work and the runners took two hours.

~
Kelly Rooney, a 31-year-old stay-at-home mother from Florida, was at first irked that Bloomberg called off the marathon after insisting earlier in the week that it would go ahead in spite of Sandy, whose 80 mile-per-hour (130-kph) winds and record surge of seawater devastated coastal communities and killed at least 110 people in the United States.

Rooney traveled to New York with her husband and 6-year-old daughter, while her parents flew in from Mexico to cheer her on.

By Saturday afternoon, Rooney was over her disappointment and looked forward to a charity run on Staten Island that she had found advertised on the Internet.

On Sunday, she planned to run with a backpack full of dog food, cat food, batteries and some water donated by her hotel, the Ritz-Carlton across from Central Park.

"I truthfully at this point don't care if I run. I just want to give this stuff out," she said.

~

Lara Duerrschmid, 27, was among those boarding a ferry. "I know it's going to be tough to see (the damage) but I just wanted to do something good," said Duerrschmid, a resident of Manhattan's Upper East Side, which was spared the worst of the storm.

The runners will take different routes across Staten Island and distribute supplies along the way.

~

Metzl, who has run 29 marathons in his life, said it would be pointless to let well-trained bodies go to waste.

"Initially we were just going to do a run to raise some money and then we thought, hey, we've got these legs that are ready to run 26 miles, why don't we actually run in Staten Island and get things that people need?" he said.

That is making the best out of a bad situation, even one that was handled badly at the start (but not by them).

:cool:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 05 November 2012 - 04:35 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#45 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

NJ residents displaced by storm can vote by email

Registered voters in New Jersey can request a mail in ballot by email or fax, which will be emailed or faxed back to them.  Hopefully this will make it easier for those affected by the damage to vote, and for rescue workers too.

Similarly, in NY Gov. Cuomo has signed an order so that displaced New Yorkers can submit an affidavit ballot at any polling station.  This is vital for rescue workers too, as workers and volunteers have traveled from all over the state to assist with the rescue and recovery, and they will also be able to vote at any polling place.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#46 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Anyone in NJ who votes electronically MUST be aware that (despite what the Lt Gov was saying as late as 6pm yesterday) there is a REQUIREMENT that they physically mail their ballot or reasonable facsimile.

Sorry for not mentioning this sooner. I thought everyone knew this, because it's always been the law for all forms of absentee balloting -- for VERY good reason. I'm shocked that the Lt Gov and several county election clerks didn't know they were effectively telling people to throw their votes away.

https://freedom-to-t...nvalid-ballots/

#47 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

As of today my family that lives in NYC all now have power. My cousin on LI has no power, basement flooded, 2 cars totaled. Don't know yet about his motorcycle. They're staying in the house because of widespread looting.

He has 2 brothers (CT and NJ) neither of them has power yet either. (Supremely awkward sentence. I've written it 5 times and it still looks weird)

But as far as I know, everyone is healthy.

#48 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

Where on LI does your cousin live?

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#49 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

In or near Babylon I think.

#50 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 05 November 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

Was just coming here to post that.  The runners have found a way to make something good come out of the controversy of the race.  They're here, and they've trained, so they are putting that to good use.

Disappointed NYC marathoners run in aid of Sandy victims

"Initially we were just going to do a run to raise some money and then we thought, hey, we've got these legs that are ready to run 26 miles, why don't we actually run in Staten Island and get things that people need?" he said.

That is making the best out of a bad situation, even one that was handled badly at the start (but not by them).

Now that is being a GOOD SPORT!!!
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#51 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 07 November 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

Where on LI does your cousin live?

Yeah, the South Shore got hit very hard.  My people are mostly in the middle of the island...  high ground for this sort of thing... but they all lost power, most still don't have it back.  Heat and gas are in short supply -- and it got very cold last night.  Tonight (with the nor'easter) it's supposed to go down to the 20s.  There's a ton of snow falling the last few hours, though it's not sticking.  Too wet.    

It's a terrible situation.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#52 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

It is really really bad. So many people don't realize (till they have been thru it) the procedure of how the utilities get the power back up starting with the biggest problems and working their way down to individual houses. And with flooding involved, it takes even longer - they can't turn the power on if the breaker box is damaged.

I hope everyone stays safe while trying to keep warm.

#53 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hurricane Sandy Pets Reunite with Their Owners

Posted Image
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#54 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

Have you seen the Letter Gov Cuomo sent to the utilities about prompt restoration of service?

I realize that it is mostly political posturing, but I like seeing a governor tell utilities "You should have seen this coming" (everyone else did) and if it turns out you still weren't prepared, I may ask that your certificate be revoked which will mean heads will roll in your executive suite.

Utilities have a privileged status as quasi-monopolies and mustn't be allowed to get too smugly secure. I remember when a customer threat to contact the Public Utilities Commission carried real weight. That's less and less the case.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Sandy, 2012

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users