Arrow

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Oliver still hasn't figured out how to get back in Laurel's good graces, but a late night bonding session with Thea gives him the inspiration he needs. Looking into a suspicious murder case, Oliver realizes an innocent man, Peter Declan (guest star Lane Edwards), was framed by one of the targets on his list. As Arrow, he asks Laurel to help prove Declan's innocence. Meanwhile, Walter (guest star Colin Salmon) asks one of his employees, Felicity Smoak (guest star Emily Rickards), to look into a $2.6 million withdrawal that Moira made without his knowledge.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

Interesting spoiler about Walter...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

This one had some weak spots -- mainly Laurel warming up far too quickly to Arrow, and Felicity's awkwardness being less charming than it was meant to be -- but a lot of really strong parts more than made up for it. I loved Diggle standing up to Ollie and saying that if they were to work together, there would have to be fewer casualties. This is shaping up to be a hell of a partnership. Ollie is a damaged character, someone who feels driven to fight evil but needs to be reminded of how to be good. Dig can be his conscience, his anchor, and help him become a hero rather than just a vigilante. I'm reminded of the earliest Batman comics -- originally Batman was a much darker, more violent character, a gun-toting killer like the pulp-magazine characters he was inspired by, but once Robin was added, Batman was modified into a lighter, more moral character, going from killing ruthlessly to killing reluctantly to never having taken a life at all, ever (continuity wasn't strong back then).

The show's propensity for really startling twist endings that make you want to come back for more is still very much present -- doubly so, in fact. Once we got past Walter playing out the hackneyed "guessing the password" trope to get into the warehouse, it was utterly shocking to see that Moira had the wreck of the Queen's Gambit in there. I wonder what Walter is going to make of it. The other impressive shock was the ending where Quentin arrested Ollie on suspicion of being the Arrow (or "the Hood"). I mean, wow. Usually the cops and friends and family in superhero shows never catch on for years. It took Quentin just four episodes to put the pieces together. That really makes him come off as an impressive, effective cop. And it really makes me wonder what's going to happen next week. Maybe Ollie and Dig will find a way to fake Ollie's innocence and put one over on the cops, but given how quickly things have been evolving on this show already, I'm not going to rule out the possibility that Laurel or Quentin might be in on the secret by the end of next week. It's hard to believe Quentin would ever cooperate with Ollie after the lives he's taken, but maybe he could become sufficiently convinced of the Vast Conspiracy and the danger it poses that he's willing to look the other way.

In any case, this show is getting more impressive every week, though still not without its flaws. I'm quite liking it.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

I liked the way they went with Dig. I even found the constant ditching of the new bodyguard mildly entertaining, and laughed when Dig said: "Oh, he's already long gone." to the new bodyguard. The "case of the week" not so much. I found Laurel's quick acceptance of the hood bizarre. And I guess the legal system in this universe isn't the same as our present one, cause it takes a lot to get someone free from death row. Even with a confession, it would be weeks, if not months, before the courts reversed the ruling...here it seemed almost immediate. And while video of Ollie taking out a hood might be enough to bring him in for questioning, it certainly wouldn't be enough to arrest him on.

Moira having the Queen's Gambit in the warehouse...she can easily explain that away as her trying to discover what happened to it. But it is rather stupid on her part to keep that kind of evidence around.

So the other hunter on the Island speaks English...then why wait this long to communicate? He obviously knew Ollie didn't understand him, why not talk in a way he can understand...to get your point across? Why the delay?

Oliver is going to have to change his plan of attack, and soon...it's really clear, even to the bad guys, who the hood is targeting. It won't take much to convince them that Ollie knows the truth. He needs to start helping other people, and taking down villians who aren't on the list...to at least throw them off the sent a bit.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

It was nice to finally see John Barrowman, but the main plot was pretty predictable. But I do like how Digge seems to be willing to take Oliver under his wing so he's not really a sidekick.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 31 October 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

Moira having the Queen's Gambit in the warehouse...she can easily explain that away as her trying to discover what happened to it.

Hardly. If she wanted that, she would've contacted the authorities and gotten their help investigating it. Keeping it secret shows she has a reason to cover it up.

But it is rather stupid on her part to keep that kind of evidence around.

Better in a warehouse secretly owned by a shell company of hers than lying on the ocean floor where somebody could discover it and find evidence of the sabotage that sank it.

So the other hunter on the Island speaks English...then why wait this long to communicate? He obviously knew Ollie didn't understand him, why not talk in a way he can understand...to get your point across? Why the delay?

Isn't it obvious? The same reason he left the bird for Ollie to kill and cook rather than doing it for him. He knew that for Ollie to survive, he'd have to learn to figure things out for himself, to surmount challenges.

Oliver is going to have to change his plan of attack, and soon...it's really clear, even to the bad guys, who the hood is targeting. It won't take much to convince them that Ollie knows the truth. He needs to start helping other people, and taking down villians who aren't on the list...to at least throw them off the sent a bit.

They already know he's after them. A little camouflage isn't going to make them forget what they've already figured out.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#7 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

It'd make more sense to just destroy The Queen's Gambit rather than keep it around somewhere for people to find it.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

My question is WHY?  WHY keep the wreck of the boat that was sabotaged around?  I've been assuming that she was behind the sabotage but if that's true then it doesn't make sense to keep it.  OTOH if it turns out someone else is responsible and Moira doesn't want that to be general knowledge, it would make sense for her to have it secretly stashed.

The only thing that video shows is Ollie reaching into a bag for something.  It doesn't show him donning any Arrow stuff.  It doesn't prove that the bag is his.  It doesn't prove much of anything.  Quentin is of course correct but his case is really flimsy.  I'm surprised he even got an arrest warrant.  What I do like about it is that for once the cops are not dumb.  And, once Ollie is cleared (and of course he will be) then he's going to be even freer to do his thing.

The other thing I'm loving is that the step father is a straight shooter.  Way to defy the usual trope writers.:)

And of course, BARROWMAN FTW!
Posted Image

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

My guess is that Robert Queen had something hidden on the boat, something that Moira is searching the wreckage for. Maybe.

Facebook Author Page

#10 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Moira knows about the sabotage and seemed to be directly involved in its planning. She mentioned this directly a few episodes ago.

Edit: And what Chris said.

Edited by NeuralClone, 01 November 2012 - 02:26 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#11 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostChristopher, on 01 November 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

My guess is that Robert Queen had something hidden on the boat, something that Moira is searching the wreckage for. Maybe.

Maybe a notebook, or list, perhaps?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Oh, good thought.

Facebook Author Page

#13 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

OK, I caught like the last quarter of this episode ...

I like that Digg actually had to think about Ollie's offer, and was considering just what he was letting himself in for.  It's unusual to see a character in this genre actually bother to give this any thought.

I like the development with Det. Lance, and the fact that Laurel was kind of freaked about the Archer's pummeling of the prisoner who had assaulted her.  Hopefully that'll serve to slow down the romantic subplot a bit.

I also like that the Det. had the brainstorm that Hooded Archer didn't necessarily enter the premises in his rig, but might have entered in a civilian guise with his gear pre-positioned.  As for his siezing Ollie, well, he had it in for Ollie ever since he returned, and he's been shown to be a mite impulsive ... but, yeah, I fully expect that the Queens' lawyers will be able to spring Ollie soon enough.

I like that step-dad is a straight-shooter as well.  It helps to muddy things as to who will end up backing whom, and why.

Finally, on the island, we saw Ollie finally learning to do things on his own.  Now, was that picture of his Laurel, or was it Thea?  I couldn't tell, and in the premier Ollie claimed that it was his thoughts of Thea that saw him through his trevails.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#14 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostG-man, on 01 November 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

If it's a book it'd be the one Robert gave to Oliver.

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Right like the list.

But it's been FIVE years since the accident.  They've kept the wreckage for FIVE years????????   Why?
Posted Image

#16 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 01 November 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

Moira knows about the sabotage and seemed to be directly involved in its planning. She mentioned this directly a few episodes ago.

Yup but maybe she knows about the sabotage *because* she had the wreckage recovered and her people figured out it was sabotage?  And yeah, up until last night I'd been convinced that she was responsible for it.  But, as you point out, it doesn't make sense for her to have kept the wreckage all this time if she's the one responsible for the sabotage....

We know Ollie's father was into bad stuff.  Maybe his wife was into something else?
Posted Image

#17 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Seriously loving this show and the fact that it gives you lots to think about.
Cats will never be extinct!

#18 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

^  Where's the like button?  :)
Posted Image

#19 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostDWF, on 01 November 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

View PostG-man, on 01 November 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

If it's a book it'd be the one Robert gave to Oliver.

That's what I'm thinking.  It's just that Mom doesn't know that Ollie has it, so she keeps on looking everyplace else for it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#20 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

It's a boat.  It can't take years to search one boat for a notebook.  Even in the comics.  Also, someone on twitter just reminded me that Moira bought that warehouse in 2009, 2 years after the accident.  So is 2009 when she acquired the wreckage?

Also, was there someone nearby to make sure the ship went down?

Could the presumed dead sister be alive somewhere in a coma?

Possibilities and more possibilities.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arrow

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users