#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

Spoilers

Reese goes undercover in a suburg.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Awww, the Machine played matchmaker for Finch. I guess it sees him as part Daddy and part appealing pet.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,889 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

I thought the flashbacks were going to be about Finch discovering the Machine's ability to predict everyday crimes. I thought something was going to happen to the artist woman.

I'm starting to wonder if the show is trying too hard to concoct quirky situations to put Reese in. Last week it was dating the PoI, this week it's moving to the suburbs! Wacky fun ensues! And I have to wonder why they didn't even consider Carter to play Reese's wife. I guess her cop duties would've made it unfeasible to hang out unofficially undercover for a few days, and the whole episode was presumably an excuse to bring Paige Turco back yet again, but it felt uncomfortably like shows from the '70s where the possibility of any interracial romance between main characters was completely ignored. Aside from that, I have to wonder why a high-rolling fixer like Zoe could be bothered to waste her time trying to help some hardware-store owner from the suburbs.

Nice to see Alicia Witt again. I barely recognize her face now; I haven't seen her since she was in Cybill, which was longer ago than I'd realized. But that stunning coppery hair is unique and unmistakeable.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,595 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

I think the problem is, when one is a cop there is a level of expectation and accountability expected that a Detective cannot simply drop everything to take an indefinite period of leave with no explanation whatsoever, especially when it is concerning something occuring outside her jurisdiction.  Consequently, it would make sense that Reese would draw upon another acquaintance, one who can be flexible in her responsibilities, to help establish his cover.

The question is, whether or not this little play is to foster/facilitate a romantic sub-plot.  Afterall, this is one of the more cliche'd tropes that TV writers love to trot out to tease the 'shippers.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Any reason to use Paige Turco is a good one to me, Jason O'Mara is a very lucky man, But this was a pretty predictable storyline and a plot that's been used many times over, I think the last time I saw it was on Chuck. It was nice seeing Alicia Witt again, I hadn't seen since the Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King miniseries. But I can't see Finch's relationship being a good thing, for one thing he tell her the truth of what he does and for another any of their enemies could kidnap her and use her against Finch and Reese.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

We met Finch's artist friend last season.  They had been engaged I think?  Before everything went to hell and Finch lost everything.

She thinks he's dead.  She thinks he was simply a sweet kind man who she first noticed because he was eating ice cream in the park in January. (She told that story.)

Finch knows that anyone connected to him is in danger, because of his connection to the machine.  So he lets her believe he was killed.  (Presumably at the time he was really injured, and when Nathan was killed.)  He stays away to protect her, but he watches her to make sure she is safe.  He looks in on her every morning.  

And whenever she runs out of work, some magazine insists on hiring her out of the blue to design the cover.  She thinks she has a guardian angel.  And Finch gets 20 copies of whatever issue features her artwork.

Reese figured all this out when he followed Finch to see what he was hiding.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#7 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Also, I find it interesting that the machine would match up Finch, a man who hides everything, with the one woman in NYC who has nothing at all to hide.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

View PostCardie, on 09 November 2012 - 12:08 AM, said:

Awww, the Machine played matchmaker for Finch. I guess it sees him as part Daddy and part appealing pet.

Yup.  And of course it speaks volumes about the machine and its capabilities.

I thought the ep was fine...didn't blow me away or anything but it was fine.  Love love LOVE Paige Turco and I'd KILL for those legs.:o
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Person of Interest, Person of Interest: Season 2

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users