Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Does anyone know if this is true? 48 businesses announce major layoffs

2012 post election layoffs Affordable Care Act Stock Market fiscal cliff Commerce

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

oh and now the Hostess bigwigs have agreed to talk with the union yet, so they're not going under JUST YET.

who wants to bet they pulled this sh*t just to get public sympathy and more profits because everyone would rush out and buy cases of Ding Dongs and pallets of Wonder Bread and sell Twinkies on ebay? :sarcasm:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#62 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostCheile, on 20 November 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

oh and now the Hostess bigwigs have agreed to talk with the union yet, so they're not going under JUST YET.

who wants to bet they pulled this sh*t just to get public sympathy and more profits because everyone would rush out and buy cases of Ding Dongs and pallets of Wonder Bread and sell Twinkies on ebay? :sarcasm:

What?  Powerful Corporation manipulate public opinion?  What is the world coming to...

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#63 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostCait, on 20 November 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

View PostCheile, on 20 November 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

What?  Powerful Corporation manipulate public opinion?  What is the world coming to...

that's just not possible, now!  come on.  :rolleyes:  :p ;)

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#64 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

funny thing is, I work in manufacturing and for about the last 2 months, we're swamped with more work than we can do. Seemed like some companies were sitting on their hands waiting to see what was gonna happen (perhaps just uncertainty because of the election or deliberately slowing the economy down to push their own agenda) I'd wager a bit of both. I think some of them saw the writing on the wall and just started doing business again because we are buried in work at the moment and it all came in a big pile on from the companies we do business with.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#65 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

The last I heard (last night) the "negotiations" fell through. I put quotes around 'negotiations' because apparently Hostess only agreed to a single day and insisted that they needed an answer by close of business, which suggests it was closer to "Here's our (general) offer. Take it or leave it"

That's more plausible than it seems, because the top management's Golden Parachutes, equivalent of up to a few years salary, mean that they won't necessarily be very much hurt by the company going under. I'd love to see the judge revoke those last-minute contracts (there's a basis in law, but judges are loath to mess with signed contracts)

Of course, Twinkies and Wonderbread will still be available in Canada. Different rightsholders.

#66 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Bimbo & Twinkies: Mexican Mega Bakery May Save Brands From Hostess Liquidation

http://www.huffingto..._n_2155070.html

Bimbo Twinkies has a nice ring to it.   :rolleyes:

Edited by Nonny, 25 November 2012 - 04:38 PM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2012 post election layoffs, Affordable Care Act, Stock Market, fiscal cliff, Commerce

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users