• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

Oh stop grinning! The rest of us have those memories, too!

We often see cool vehicles that we may not want to build a full thread for -- but might turn up enough response to spin off into a full thread.

For example, I knew an MIT student in the 70s who tried building something like this convertible camping trailer/lake boat. It felt so cool and ergonomic on land that I'd surely own one today, but I heard it proved to be spectacularly unlakeworthy on a testing trip to Laconia NH

Attached File  a2.jpg   200.16K   1 downloads

Attached File  a3.jpg   40.37K   1 downloads

#2 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

Mark: What a great-looking design. However, I wouldn't really go as far as calling this a "lake boat"...nor is it exactly a canoe. Even with only a trolling motor powering it, it appears to be capable of moving you from point A to point B in smooth water. That single feature could come in handy in some situations, and very remote areas...especially if your towing vehicle has become inoperable and you're out of cell range, or without phone completely.
Even if you weren't escaping hostile natives like Indiana Jones, or the guys in Deliverance, just moving this thing off-shore a bit to avoid mosquitoes and find a better fishing area, has promise. Of course moving too far off-shore in rough water COULD get you killed. :boat:

This has started me thinking of the next generation...camper, boat, and SUBMARINE! Now we're talking. :thumbs-up:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

I'll see your submarine and raise you

The lines remind me a bit of the early TOS shuttle, somehow [Esp before they had a full mockup)

#4 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

my new family saloon - ya, wish! ;) http://www.stuff.co....ur-door-Ferrari - Quattroport by Ferrari. imagine whippin the nippers round in this eh?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#5 offworlder

offworlder

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

> now this is awesome ........... : '1928 Rolls-Royce Piccadilly P1 Roadster as a graduation present..' guy gets this Springfield Roller from pa, keeps it his whole life, dies at 102 still with it... I sure do wish I was the silver spoon trust fund teen type and get such things graduating from school, but hey, it's about the car, and the driver
;)
' Rolls-Royce acknowledged Mr. Swift in 1994, awarding him a crystal Spirit of Ecstasy award for his length of ownership. By 2005, Swift had logged more than 170,000 miles on its analog odometer and he was recognized as the oldest living person to have owned a car from new. He passed away that year. ....... But the story doesn't end there. Swift left the Lyman & Merrie Wood Museum of Springfield History a $1 million gift to create a new exhibition to care for his roadster and tell the story of Rolls-Royce manufacturing in the Massachusetts town '

http://www.autoblog....eum-donation-t/ .....
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#6 offworlder

offworlder

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

not being in Brit land- (yeah picture me rollin' over the Peak district on a Vespa really)- I was
never aware of these; but what a read; and what pics-
INVACAR

http://www.bbc.co.uk...s-ouch-23061676

oooo that guy who had to weigh his down with a bag of King edwards coz of crosswinds eh

These were out there on the roads for fifty years and I never heard, really?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boat, trailer, camping, convertible

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users