Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

what IS it with all the waterfront, shore, building/rebuilding?

2012 Sandy NJ shore Natural Disasters

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

this is sort of lifestyle, health, travel, places, living, but also current events, societal,

what IS It about people and shorelines? about Waterfront and 'water view' in the accomodation or house market marketing? about seaside, lakeside, riverside, houseboats, yacht living, beach panoramas?

http://www.philly.co..._the_Shore.html

But really, is it time we think bout pulling away from those troubled shores?

'
"We need to look at these islands geologically. Some islands you have to move back from; some you might not have to immediately," said Orrin H. Pilkey, professor emeritus of earth and ocean sciences at Duke University. "It's so hard to enforce these things in the climate of sympathy for the victims, but that's when you have to do it."
While such arguments have been made in scientific circles for more than a decade, only now are they entering the political arena.
While proclaiming that the Jersey Shore will be rebuilt, Gov. Christie has emphasized that careful consideration is required. He has suggested that residents in flood-ravaged areas think twice about whether to rebuild their homes there.
In an interview last week, State Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D., Gloucester), who in the weeks since Sandy has been outspoken about not rebuilding in flood-prone areas, said consensus was growing.
"The governor understands this," said Sweeney. "Just to put a house back on blocks when you know you're getting flooded, none of that makes sense anymore. The New Jersey I'm living in today is not the New Jersey I grew up with. The storms are stronger and more frequent, and we need to adapt."
'

Does it really make sense to rebuild there? they asked this bout gulf shore after Katrina, and they rebuilt, now NJ and east shore- why dont we give up this mental, emotional, dreamstate we have bout shore developments, shore homes, shore condos, shore hotels, shore resorts, shore amusements.. ?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

And while you're at it, would someone kindly explain to Paul Daniels that if you're going to live in a house practically in the Thames, you are going to get your feet wet when it rains....

http://www.dailymail...lood-drama.html

Personally, I think humanity seems to have a gene that insists on proximity to water for drinking, travelling long distances. Which was needed way back in the day before piped water and roads, but now? Now, it is just the insurance companies who benefit from this madness. Perhaps it's an evil conspiracy.......
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#3 cl05

cl05
  • Islander
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

I realize that it's very nice to live near the water. But if the tragedy had happened to me I would take my insurance money and buy or build a new home inland. I wouldn't want to worry about the next storm after rebuilding in the same place.

Edited by cl05, 03 December 2012 - 08:57 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2012, Sandy, NJ, shore, Natural Disasters

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users