• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

For the past two nights, a laser installation art piece has been illuminating the night sky over NYC, and visible up to 35 miles away. Called "Global Rainbow After the Storm" it shines from Manhattan toward the areas worst hit by Sandy, and last to recover, to attract attention/funds for the Arts Emergency Relief Fund.

Did anyone see this -- or better photograph it? I wonder if it looks better in these photos than in real life, or if it's one of those things, like airplane window shots, where it's hard to take a photo that does it justice.

Attached File  a2.jpg   63.49K   0 downloads

Attached File  a3.jpg   85.35K   0 downloads

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

What a beautiful idea.   :happy:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

It is, isn't it? Even if it does look like the Bat-signal for the Ambiguously Gay Duo from some angles.

#4 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

I'll be there tomorrow night. If it's still on, I'll try to get a picture or ten. :-)

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

It's just plain wonderful.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New York City, Hurricane Sandy, 2012, Global Rainbow

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users