Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Can a person be Brainwashed into an assassin by hypnosis?

Media Discovery Channel Hypnosis 2012

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

The Discovery Channel has an intriguing series called "Curiosity" which did some interesting experiment in hypnosis, culminating in "brainwashing" a civilian subject into performing an assassination [which, unbeknownst to them, was staged] It wasn't the usual lightweight hypnosis demo or scaremongering.

Check your local cable schedule, Video on Demand, and other sources to see if you can catch it. I think you'll find it thought-provoking.

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Looking......
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hey Orph.

I actually watched that and I found it pretty darn thought provoking. Ultimately though I'm not sure I believed it. Some people (like athletes) can sit in ice baths, can't they?
Rejected and gone.

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

They can tolerate it. However, it's hard to believe that they would fail to have a normal physiological reflex, especially if they hadn't been previously trained/conditioned to it.

I'm not sure I *entirely* accept the show's presentation (it is TV, after all), but it's intriguing on many levels, and I definitely believe in hypnosis (which some people reject outright), having had some professional training in it, as well as extensive experience with self-hypnosis.

#5 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

That's true. It would be equally difficult to not have the heart rate change either.

The reflex to pant like a dog when cold water hits you is almost uncontrollable. Happens to me. So yeah the fact he was able to get into an ice bath and his heart rate remained low and he didn't pant was remarkable to me. I tend to be skeptical about hypnosis though so seeing that actually required a certain adjustment to the way I think. (Put it this way, it had me running for scientific journals regarding hypothermia and human exposure to ice.)

Mind you I didn't think anyone would obey the restaurant test either. That's why I enjoyed the show. It took what I thought about hypnosis and made me rethink it a bit. I'm still skeptical. However I know very little about it.

So, how does hypnosis work? What can you self-hypnotize yourself to do? (Preferably from a scientific standpoint.)
Rejected and gone.

#6 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

I have seen a hypnotist at work (not train someone to be an assassin but make someone act like a chicken kind of hypnosis). I would be skeptical apart from I know that some of the people involved wouldn't do what they did without hypnosis. I find it hard to disbelieve and somewhat worrying.

#7 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

There is a weight-loss program that involves hypnosis. It seems to work from what I have heard. The mind is a very powerful thing. If you believe strongly enough in something, the mind can have some significant infulence. I had a worrying thought come to mind today about whether some sort of subliminal message is sent out to people that makes them want to kill others. I had this though when I was thinking about the recent shootings. A message can be hidden in a song or a video game for that matter, that could alter a person's personality and who knows what else. It could only affect a select few, but still be effective in its purpose.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, Discovery Channel, Hypnosis, 2012

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users