New Man of Steel Trailer

Superman

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

I have goosebumps. I loved the trailer. Just so freaking awesome. Just wow. I have a huge grin on my face right now.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Interesting. It's got potential.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Holy cow!  A Christopher Nolan Superman! :) YAY!

Until this trailer, I've been a bit skeptical about this (after the last movie, which just... ugh), but this is a convincing portrayal of a modern sensibility of the Man of Steel - and - a convincing portrait of how a Justice League in a Nolanesque-verse could happen.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

I have never come close to liking any of zack snyder's movies but I'm holding out hope this will be the first.  People familiar with the Geoff Johns run on the Superman titles will probably find a lot to like in this take.  

Re: Justice League, I think the smartest thing they could do is have Man of Steel acknowledge the Nolan Batman films even as it by necessity expands what is possible in that universe... And then have Joseph Gordon Levitt play Batman in the JL movie with Ryan Reynolds' Hal Jordan as the Hulk figure, the one whose own movies didn't do him justice but unexpectedly steals the picture.

They'd still need a Wonder Woman, though.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

I can't agree with Joseph Gorden Levitt as Batman, and hope that's not going to happen.  I'd rather be in an 'Elseworld" where Batman didn't retire and settle down with Catwoman, than have JGL as Batman, or worse, as Batman replacing Christian Bale's Batman. Among other things, Batman needs to be able to look like he has sufficient stature as Superman, and JGL just doesn't cut it in this regard.  Agreed re: Wonder Woman.  To get those three right will take quite some doing, but Henry Cavill (is that his name) as Superman is looking the part very nicely.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

So... does anyone want to talk about this movie?

I'm concerned that it may be a little too self-conscious, trying to justify the idea of a benevolent superman in these cynical times. I don't like the idea of heroism being something you have to be defensive about. On the other hand, the comics story "What's So Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" and its animated adaptation Superman vs. The Elite handled that theme rather well.

I think Cavill looks and sounds pretty good as Superman, although I don't like the costume. Why do movie superhero (and Starfleet) outfits always have to be so ultra-textured and elaborate these days? Why can't they just be functional? (And how exactly is Superman supposed to hide that molded, textured costume under his street clothes? I think the New 52 comics make the excuse that it's some sort of shapeshifting Kryptonian armor; will the movie go the same route?)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#7 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

They have to reconcile the idea of Superman to a reality the audience will recognize as our own for his heroism to be effective though.  The Donner film had to do likewise.  "You're fighting for truth, justice and the American Way?  You're gonna be up against every politician in Washington!"

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Well, as for the uniform - I rather like it, not because Superman needs it the way Batman does, but because realistically, Superman would be naked almost all the time given the scrapes he gets into, if his uniform wasn't durable enough to take a pounding. LOL!

What I like about the movie trailer is that it looks credible as a hero who is believable in our time AND in the day and age of Nolan.  It gives the DC superhero a chance to stand out apart from (instead of aping) the Marvel universe.  I tend to think that Green Lantern didn't work at least partly because he wasn't a Marvel character - the hokiness that is kinda ok in the Marvel movies doesn't seem to be ok in DC - maybe because DC characters are already a little hokey in the minds of many.  So adding a lot of grit and grey-blue shadows seems to bring the characters down to earth a little bit, make them more believable.  We'll see.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

I mostly like the tone of this trailer-- it's not like the usual slam-bang action videos we usually see, although they do throw in some explosions and mayhem at the end.  Will the movie actually be a more thoughtful take on the idea of an ultimate hero?  I wonder if they understand what Superman's greatest super-power is.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#10 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Yes, like the tone and because I'm a Superman junkie, I'll take most incarnations.  With my lack of funds, will probably wait for reviews, general or  on EI,  or pay-per-view.
Cats will never be extinct!

#11 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 11 December 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Well, as for the uniform - I rather like it, not because Superman needs it the way Batman does, but because realistically, Superman would be naked almost all the time given the scrapes he gets into, if his uniform wasn't durable enough to take a pounding. LOL!

But given the kinds of forces and stresses that Superman is routinely subjected to, a suit of Kevlar body armor would be torn apart just as effectively as a spandex leotard. The assumption in the Silver Age was that his costume was made of Kryptonian material that became as invulnerable under yellow sunlight as his own body; the assumption in John Byrne's post-Crisis reboot was that his invulnerability was the result of a forcefield that extended a few millimeters above his skin, just enough that his tights would be indestructible (while his cape was often drawn tattered after a fight). If, as in the modern version, you assume his costume is some hyperadvanced Kryptonian nanotech armor, why not just have it be skintight and smooth-textured?

After all, for all that people mock superhero costumes, tights are an eminently sensible thing to wear if you're a physically active person. The whole reason superheroes wear tights is that their look was originally modeled on circus strongmen or acrobats -- people for whom tights were the most practical attire there was. So the tendency to mock the tights and replace them with all this hyper-complicated costuming makes it less credible, not more. (Granted, Batman's body armor in TDK/TDKR was pretty functional-looking, more like athletic protective wear crossed with military body armor than the molded muscles of Burton's or Schumacher's Bat-suits. And at least The Amazing Spider-Man paid lip service to the idea of Spidey's costume being modified from some kind of fancy sportswear that Peter bought online.)

Facebook Author Page

#12 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Looks good, although the intro music had me thinking I was having a holy experience...

#13 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostChristopher, on 11 December 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

View PostQueenTiye, on 11 December 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

But given the kinds of forces and stresses that Superman is routinely subjected to, a suit of Kevlar body armor would be torn apart just as effectively as a spandex leotard. The assumption in the Silver Age was that his costume was made of Kryptonian material that became as invulnerable under yellow sunlight as his own body; the assumption in John Byrne's post-Crisis reboot was that his invulnerability was the result of a forcefield that extended a few millimeters above his skin, just enough that his tights would be indestructible (while his cape was often drawn tattered after a fight). If, as in the modern version, you assume his costume is some hyperadvanced Kryptonian nanotech armor, why not just have it be skintight and smooth-textured?

After all, for all that people mock superhero costumes, tights are an eminently sensible thing to wear if you're a physically active person. The whole reason superheroes wear tights is that their look was originally modeled on circus strongmen or acrobats -- people for whom tights were the most practical attire there was. So the tendency to mock the tights and replace them with all this hyper-complicated costuming makes it less credible, not more. (Granted, Batman's body armor in TDK/TDKR was pretty functional-looking, more like athletic protective wear crossed with military body armor than the molded muscles of Burton's or Schumacher's Bat-suits. And at least The Amazing Spider-Man paid lip service to the idea of Spidey's costume being modified from some kind of fancy sportswear that Peter bought online.)

Andrew Garfield hated the Spider-Man outfit he said if anything it made it harder to move around. I think the style comes from the director's choice, they certainly make the actors feel any better.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#14 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 11 December 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Well, a Zack Snyder one anyway. :)

Yes, Nolan is producing but that trailer was ALL Snyder.

And that is not a bad thing, I think it is no coincidence that they put "By the Director if Watchman and 300" in there since those are the movies he was trying his hardest for. And when he does try he almost achieves paintings in his movies. Even Sucker Punch as some gorgeous camera and FX work. It looks like MoS is continuing his quest to add some art to the mayhem.

I do hope they allow Nolan to bring in the entire DC 'Verse like Scott suggests.

So let the fanboy judgement commence :

Love Ma and Pop Kent.

Hate the costume, specifically...

Miss the S on the cape.

Miss the red trunks.

LOVE the music.

Love the Super-Ness of Superman.

Love putting the modern into Superman, this was the biggest Nolan aspect I noticed.But unlike his Batman trilogy we are doing this with a full blown SUPERHERO this time and I love it even more.

enTranced
Posted Image

#15 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostenTranced, on 12 December 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

View PostQueenTiye, on 11 December 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Love putting the modern into Superman, this was the biggest Nolan aspect I noticed.But unlike his Batman trilogy we are doing this with a full blown SUPERHERO this time and I love it even more.

enTranced

Ahem!  I think you just said what I said... ;)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#16 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

here's a nice impression piece by a genre scribe in the new popular style,
http://www.npr.org/b...nt-man-of-steel

there was a lot in that trailer I didn't like what with all the dash/splash fast-edit swooshing that I can hardly see which is the popular way of these new comic movies and trailers, i/o/w the genre audience likes what I don't ;) , but- this movie may offer some intriguing things to enjoy and see apart from the trailer and it's 'well this is the new way one sells a movie with a trailer'

>'
A slightly older Clark saves a schoolbus from going all Sweet Hereafter, and we hear the mother of one of his schoolmates trying to keep it together even as her voice frays with fear - a nice touch there, I think.
Enter: Parental concern over Clark's future. For decades, it's been handled as a mere plot point, a box to be checked, the inciting action that gets him to develop the Superman persona.
But here, in a move that will likely prove controversial among die-hard fans, Kevin Costner's Pa Kent is visibly shaken by the terrible FACT of his adopted son, and the prospect of what will happen to him if he is exposed.
"What was I supposed to do," Clark asks, "let them DIE?"
"...Maybe," Pa says.
Okay, whoa. Let's stop here for second.
For decades, Pa and Ma Kent have been portrayed as salt-of-the-earth types, fonts of homespun wisdom, simple country folk whose Midwestern values shape Clark into the man he becomes. They were roles, touchpoints, spouters of homilies that teach humility and forbearance. They were the flat characters, and that's fine: all stories need flat characters who exist to delineate and define the main character.
But ... what if they weren't?
And what if the story didn't summarily dispense with them once they'd inculcated Clark with their aw-shucksian worldview? What if instead they struggled with conflicts of their own, conflicts that continued to color Clark's perceptions into his adulthood?
And what if Clark's decision to face the world despite his father's fears and misgivings (which seem to be vindicated, by all those shots of the military targeting him, handcuffing him, etc.) wasn't simply a part of the character's backstory, but the question that drives the action?
<

Edited by offworlder, 12 December 2012 - 07:45 PM.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#17 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

^^Nice write-up, thanks for sharing it.  Yeah - it has a lot of potential to give some real-life depth.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#18 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

Pretty much what enTranced said. I've liked all of Snyder's movies. Sure, Sucker Punch was kind of a let down story-wise but visually it rocked. So I was never concerned about the look of the movie. I've been afraid for a while that they would take Superman down a darker path and basically make him a Batman clone, a fear that seemed justified with Nolan's involvement and with some of the cast and crew saying it's going to be a darker, grittier take on Superman.

It doe seem a little darker, but there's also a lot of hope in the trailer and a promise that Superman will be a shining beacon to humanity and will be the hero that everyone can look up to.

Not sure what to make about Pa Kent saying that maybe young Clark should have let everyone on the bus die. I don't need the Kents to be all gung-ho about Clark using his abilities to save people but this looks like a Pa Kent that might be more pessimistic than what we've seen before. I'll hold judgement until I see the movie.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#19 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

I don't think I've liked a single Zack Snyder movie either, to be honest. So because of that, I'm still very skeptical of this movie. it's a very nice trailer and it certainly seems to get the right feel for Superman. But it's Zack Snyder and I'm having difficulty getting my hopes up because of that.

Having said that, if the movie is anything like the trailer, then this movie really has a lot of potential. We're in desperate need of a GOOD Superman movie. Superman II was probably the last one I actually liked and even that movie has its issues. Christopher Nolan producing and David S. Goyer writing does fill me with hope.

The casting for this movie seems to be rock solid. Amy Adams is a great choice for Lois and Henry Cavill is a pretty competent actor (unlike Brandon Routh). He sounds the part and looks the part. Plus, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White. Awesome! I really like the Superman costume as well. Superman has a pretty dorky outfit as far as superhero outfits go and I think this particular version manages to balance the classic look with something that isn't nearly as silly.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#20 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

Superman has a pretty dorky outfit as far as superhero outfits go and I think this particular version manages to balance the classic look with something that isn't nearly as silly.

See, I love his classic costume and I'm not a huge fan of the new costume(either movie or comic). But it's grown on me.

I don't think I've liked a single Zack Snyder movie either, to be honest. So because of that, I'm still very skeptical of this movie. it's a very nice trailer and it certainly seems to get the right feel for Superman. But it's Zack Snyder and I'm having difficulty getting my hopes up because of that.

Honestly, I would rather have Bryan Singer as director. Say what you will about Superman Returns, but he loves the character and did a lot right. I actually think SR is a good movie. But I think Snyder will do good. I have faith in him. With Nolan and Goyer backing him I believe MoS will be excellent.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Superman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users