Superman

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

Not sure how I feel about the no red trunks. What I want to know is how were those handcuffs holding him? Unless they were kryptonite handcuffs, and they didn't appear to be, how could the handcuffs hold him?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#22 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

Superman in handcuffs could easily be symbolic. He has always been a character that would honor the law and not act above it simply because of his abilities. Unlike Batman, Superman being seen as a vigilante by the police really wouldn't work. Nor would it be something he would stand for. That just isn't the character. There was even an episode of Lois & Clark where Superman turned himself in to the authorities (the reason escapes me at the moment) and ends up in jail.

I didn't see who had him in handcuffs in the trailer. Given who the villain is for this movie, it would make sense that they wouldn't be normal handcuffs if that's the character that has Superman in handcuffs. It seems more likely that it's simply a case of Superman allowing himself to be arrested.

Edited by NeuralClone, 13 December 2012 - 08:34 AM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#23 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Superman voluntarily submitting to arrest by the police is something that's happened a number of times over the decades. Onscreen, it goes at least as far back as the George Reeves series.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#24 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostChristopher, on 13 December 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

Superman voluntarily submitting to arrest by the police is something that's happened a number of times over the decades. Onscreen, it goes at least as far back as the George Reeves series.
Indeed.

#25 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 December 2012 - 01:42 AM, said:

Superman has a pretty dorky outfit as far as superhero outfits go and I think this particular version manages to balance the classic look with something that isn't nearly as silly.

See, I love his classic costume and I'm not a huge fan of the new costume(either movie or comic). But it's grown on me.

I don't think I've liked a single Zack Snyder movie either, to be honest. So because of that, I'm still very skeptical of this movie. it's a very nice trailer and it certainly seems to get the right feel for Superman. But it's Zack Snyder and I'm having difficulty getting my hopes up because of that.

Honestly, I would rather have Bryan Singer as director. Say what you will about Superman Returns, but he loves the character and did a lot right. I actually think SR is a good movie. But I think Snyder will do good. I have faith in him. With Nolan and Goyer backing him I believe MoS will be excellent.

You know, I don't think the problem was that it wasn't a good movie.  The problem was it didn't break the Christopher Reeve mold.  To be honest - Brandon Routh looked perfect for the part - just PERFECT!  As, that is, a replacement for Christopher Reeve.  And the movie's ethos was exactly a continuation of the Reeve movies.... and it was such a downer.  This movie is just as dark as that one, but it also does the necessary part - it breaks the mold (or it looks like it does).  It isn't a sequel to any movies that came before it - its a new take, and Henry Cavill looks the part, but he looks the part DIFFERENT from Routh and Reeve.  So I think just by not creating an expectation of the return of Reeve, this movie has a better chance.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#26 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'm always bewildered when people say Routh looked like Reeve or was a visually perfect Superman. To me, he looked less like Superman than any other screen Superman except Dean Cain. I could see him as Sherlock Holmes or Spock, but not Superman.

But yes, the problem with Returns is that instead of getting Singer's fresh take on the Superman mythos, we got Singer's 200-million-dollar fan-film tribute to Richard Donner's take on the Superman mythos. And it was just so pretentious and reverential and had no sense of fun, even though the films it was homaging didn't take themselves very seriously at all.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#27 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 December 2012 - 12:27 AM, said:

Not sure what to make about Pa Kent saying that maybe young Clark should have let everyone on the bus die. I don't need the Kents to be all gung-ho about Clark using his abilities to save people but this looks like a Pa Kent that might be more pessimistic than what we've seen before. I'll hold judgement until I see the movie.

I am not going to have the fanboy breakdown that IO9 is having over that part of the trailer. The Kent's were always trying to balance wanting Clark to be the good son and working on being a good man and protecting his secret. Heck after 10 years of Smallville dealing with that balance we should be ready for this! I am sure there is much more to that scene that we are not seeing. At least there better be! If there isn't THEN I will lead the charge to kick Snyder's puppy. :p

enTranced
Posted Image

#28 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

Like Virgil, I enjoyed Returns even with it's flaws and yes one of the biggest flaws was that it was to much a tribute to Superman the movie even bringing back the real estate scam from that film, which worked pretty well for the silver age Lex but was horrible for the new darker modern Lex,and the way they kept pinballing between campy Lex and evil Lex it made the viewer dizzy.

But as much as I love Bryan Singer I want him restoring honor to the X-Men films, after this trailer I am happy to give Zack Snyder his chance with Superman.

enTranced
Posted Image

#29 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Jonathan Kent didn't say that Clark should have let the kids on the bus die. He said, "maybe." That isn't the same thing at all. If I were to guess, I'd say that's a scene about ethics/morals and Clark balancing his secret with his desire to help people.

#30 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

^^^Agreed.  It doesn't make Jonathan Kent a bad person if he wants Clark to protect himself from possible consequences of using his powers to protect people.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#31 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 13 December 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

Not sure how I feel about the no red trunks.
Taking the trunks off Superman is as lame as putting pants on Wonder Woman.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#32 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 13 December 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

View PostLord of the Sword, on 13 December 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

Not sure how I feel about the no red trunks.

Yet the general comic book fandom has been pretty fine with lack of red trunks in the new 52.  If anyone needed a costume update it was Superman.
Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#33 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I disagree, because they're opposite choices on the practicality spectrum. Tights are good for freedom of movement but bad for modesty, hence the trunks to provide a second layer. It makes practical sense. But Wonder Woman fighting in a bathing suit isn't good for either practicality or modesty.

Then again, bare legs are better for freedom of movement than pants, depending on the kind of pants. What WW really needs are shoulder straps.

Facebook Author Page

#34 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

I agree, NN, and in general, I am not precious about costumes on superheroes.  It's all cyclical.  In another 10 years, he may well be back in tights.  Maybe they'll draw him like Curt Swan did.  Hey, maybe they'll *write* him like Jim Shooter did, but with a good dose of post-modernist subtext.  I would LOVE that.  (I guess that's sort of similar to what Morrison and Quitely did in the best issues of All Star Superman, e.g., hinting that the sci-fi science-y guys Superman is always helping out are actually kinda fascists.)

Certainly, in a movie like this, a superhero can't look like a dork, and they can't make a good movie by being so cowed by the mythos that they're afraid to make -- literally -- cosmetic changes.  (See Superman Returns, whose problems stem from exactly that... though I still think it was an ok pilot that could have produced a terrific sequel).  They have to take control of it and make some decisions while being careful to honor what you must honor.  In that context, I don't think the tights rate that high on the list of things that Must. Not. Be. Changed.  (The JJ Abrams screenplay from years ago had Lex Luthor revealed as a Kryptonian!  Which, in fairness, Abrams says was a mandate from the studio.)

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#35 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Theoretically, no, but the fact is I just don't think his new movie costume looks as good as his classic design. Like many movie superhero costumes these days, it's overthought, distractingly cluttered, and impractical (like I said, how the hell does he hide it under a dress shirt?). I don't dislike it just because it's different, I dislike it because it's not an improvement.

Facebook Author Page

#36 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

I saw the trailer before The Hobbit and it feels rather odd for a Zach Syder film, I'd say that The Amazing Spider-Man we're goingto be seeing a reboot and that's OK with me I'd just as soon forget the Singer movie.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#37 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostChristopher, on 13 December 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

I disagree, because they're opposite choices on the practicality spectrum. Tights are good for freedom of movement but bad for modesty, hence the trunks to provide a second layer. It makes practical sense. But Wonder Woman fighting in a bathing suit isn't good for either practicality or modesty.

Then again, bare legs are better for freedom of movement than pants, depending on the kind of pants. What WW really needs are shoulder straps.

Wonder Woman's outfit has the effect of distracting men, well, straight men!

Edited by Bobby, 14 December 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#38 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostNexusNine, on 13 December 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

Yet the general comic book fandom has been pretty fine with lack of red trunks in the new 52.  If anyone needed a costume update it was Superman.  
The last character who needs a costume update is Superman. It's iconic.

View PostChristopher, on 13 December 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

Yeah, but I don't care about practicality when it comes to superhero costumes or when it comes to anything else about superheroes-- I care about artistry.  That's why superheroes always fail to make the transition to movies or TV very well for me. The writing and art that attracted me to comics isn't there.  The best superhero movies I've ever seen were The Incredibles and Megamind, because they were actually very good homages to Silver Age Marvel and DC.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#39 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 16 December 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

View PostNexusNine, on 13 December 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

The last character who needs a costume update is Superman. It's iconic.

Different folks I guess.  But look at it this way, Batman has always been allowed to update and change a little over the years just as long as what fans were seeing could be recognizable as Batman.  Even the colors of his costume have changed time and again.  And I would argue that Batman is just as iconic as Superman despite Superman's status as the first modern superhero.  In a lot of ways, Batman has even come of overshadow Superman  as an iconic marketing property in recent years.  There have been seven Batman films since 1989, no less than four Batman animated series since 1992, and two very well renowned and critically acclaimed video games in the past few years.  He's everywhere.  More so than Superman is.  And Batman is allowed to change.  

What Superman wears in this coming film isn't so far removed from the costume that we've all come to know.  And comic book fans have had over a year to get used to the new look in the comics as several of the Superman titles implemented the newer look when the New 52 launched.  There were some complaints at the very start that have since faded, and most people seem fine with the change now.  Why?  Because they can still recognize him as Superman.
Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#40 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

And it's not like Superman doesn't didn't (damn nu52) have multiple different costumes in his closet anyway.

Even disregarding the electric-Superman suit (which was destroyed), he had the regeneration suit (the all-black one he wore when he resurrected), the "Doomsday Hunter" suit (worn in Hunter/Prey), the anti-Kryptonite suit (basically a lead-lined, modified batsuit, created/used in Superman/Batman), and IIRC at least one space suit (for journeys where he couldn't get away with just holding his breath [it also had a sealed mask, so he could use a radio mic]). He also had the post-9/11/post-Imperiex suit, which was the same as the classic one, just with a black background on the S-shield.

We also know (from the Eradicator) that the Fortress' servitors were entirely capable of creating new clothing designs as needed, making use of Kryptonian materials science (hell, we can make nigh-invincible, regenerative nano-materials now, they're just expensive and experimental. No alien tech needed).

Really, once he had access to the Fortress it'd be silly for him not to upgrade from the original home-made suit.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Superman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users